Author Topic: hard chrome on a slide?  (Read 17805 times)

Offline tattoo

• Master
hard chrome on a slide?
« on: May 14, 2015, 09:12:24 PM »
has anyone had this done before? is there a better finish? i want to add a little bling to my pup..and since it has a few scratches on the slide was thinking about adding a new finish to it? any suggestions? thanks in advance ..mickey

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
Re: hard chrome on a slide?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2015, 09:31:28 PM »

I have had several hard chrome treatments on my pistols and it is an excellent finish; is it better than Robar NP3 or NP3+? I don't know.

Offline tattoo

• Master
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2015, 09:33:21 PM »
TRACKER did you ever have any done on your rohrbaughs?

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2015, 09:45:36 PM »
No, I have not had any R9s refinished but I have one candidate. I have thought about sending it to Robar but haven't done so. You are probably aware of the rather limited run of the factory Robar finish on R9s. They are very attractive and quite rare.

Offline tattoo

• Master
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2015, 10:10:51 PM »
yes i guess the nickel finish they do would be cool....thanks for the info...

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2015, 09:31:58 AM »
Doesn't nickel tend to pit over time, or is that just old technology?
Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone!

Offline tattoo

• Master
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2015, 09:52:15 AM »
i am not sure...hopefully i will get some more help from this awesome forum...members with knowledge of this process please chime in...

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2015, 09:58:20 AM »
i am not sure...hopefully i will get some more help from this awesome forum...members with knowledge of this process please chime in...

Hard chrome is a much more durable finish than nickel if done correctly in my experience.

Offline tattoo

• Master
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2015, 10:33:59 AM »
thanks ...robar doesnt do hard chrome...so i guess my search for a great hard chromer...anyone have any suggestions?

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2015, 10:49:49 AM »
Some members here have used Bob Cogan of Accurate Plating to do their hard chrome work.

http://www.apwcogan.com

Here is Cogan's comparison of nickel and hard chrome, but I have never heard a complaint of the Robar products:

"PLATED FINISH:   NICKEL PLATING:

Nickel Plating, has been extensively used in the firearm’s industry for close to 100 years.  Nickel finishes have a slight yellow cast to them and this coloring gives Nickel a softer appearance when applied to firearms.  The only time we recommend Nickel over a Chrome Finish is to do restoration on older firearms, or when a firearm is so heavily pitted from neglect that full flaw removal would create a dangerous firearm.

Matte Nickel Finishes do not show flaws like Chrome does because of softer coloring.  Also, Nickel Plating solutions have chemicals in them that enhances the ability of the plating to fill in and fully cover the flaws that cannot be removed. Nickel Plated Finishes, in general, run about a 45 R.C. 

This is as hard as most of the parts in firearms manufacturing, but way off of the standard Hard Chrome at 65 R.C. Also, Nickel can tarnish, or stain like silver.  Even some cleaning solvents can damage Nickel Finishes.  Chrome, on the other hand, will not change its appearance unless attached by certain strong acids, or bases.  Also, Nickel is more prone to show wear due to the lower hardness of the deposit, similar to Stainless Steel Firearms.  Nickel and Chrome Finishes cost the same at AP&W.  So unless there is special reason to choose Nickel, Chrome would be the better choice.  Salt spray ratings are about the same…100+ hours.

Note: Bright Nickel solutions, due to their chemical make, create a more brittle and less ductile deposit on the base metal.  This can cause the deposit to actually blow off, or crack where high pressure gas from the cartridge igniting come into direct contact with the plating.  This problem mainly occurs with magnum handgun cartridges.  AP&W uses a Semi-Bright Nickel solution that can be maintained with low levels of brighteners.  This allows for a much less brittle and highly ductile deposit.  We have used our tank to base coat magnum high power rifles and have not experienced any separation at the muzzles."
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 10:13:37 PM by tracker »

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2015, 10:23:06 PM »
Excellent discussion Tracker, thanks for providing!
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline sslater

• Master
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2015, 10:35:37 PM »
Tattoo,
Before spending money on chrome plating your slide I'd post the question to Eric Rohrbaugh.  Since he and Karl retired, Eric now has a thread right in this forum: 

The Rohrbaugh Forum » Rohrbaugh Products and Accessories » Rohrbaugh R9 (all variations) » Ask ECR

My experience with hard chrome plating was in the automotive engine design area.  Chromium is extremely hard, but must plated in a rather thick layer to provide true wear resistance.  We used to refer to to "hard chrome" as HEAVY CHROME (as opposed to decorative chrome plating).  When we designed components that were to be hard chromed, the pre-plating dimensions were adjusted to allow for the thickness of the plating. 
Hard chroming a finished slide may get you into functioning trouble since the Rohrbaugh guns are so finely finished.  But I will defer to Eric Rohrbaugh for the final word.

Hope this helps,
Steve

Offline tattoo

• Master
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2015, 04:20:05 PM »
Thanks for all the replys. Eric could you add anything to this question?

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2015, 07:00:17 PM »
Well, reading here that hard chrome comes in around 65 on the Rockwell scale, that will pose a problem with your barrel, which is around 44 R.C. You will most likely start to round off the lockup area of the barrel if you just chrome the slide. Do you coat both slide and barrel with this treatment?. . . . . Knowing there are not many ways to replace a rounded off barrel at this point in time, I think I would leave well enough alone. Having the R9 coated with NP3 would be a better bet if you feel the need to do some cosmetics to it. We have done that before with positive results. I would ask Cogan what they think as far as finishes are concerned. For me, I will leave my #2 alone (of course) and also my other couple of R9s I have will also simply remain "stock".
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline tattoo

• Master
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2017, 10:26:27 AM »
This is going to be TASTY 😁