Author Topic: best front pocket holsters for r9 IMHO  (Read 7846 times)

Offline Marcion333

best front pocket holsters for r9 IMHO
« on: September 12, 2014, 07:43:32 PM »
1. shoot thru holster.  find on ebay:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/SHOOT-THRU-LEATHER-HOLSTER-FOR-ROHRBAUGH-R-9-/261431209507?pt=US_Holsters&var=&hash=item3cde83ae23.   can also be used for back pocket.

2.  desantis nemesis.

3.  desantis superfly.  can also be used for back pocket when attached flap is used. 

4.  desantis nemesis cargo pants holster (includes space for extra magazine).

i recommending stretching the last three holsters by putting r9 inside of two thin socks and then putting pistol into the holsters for a while.  you do NOT want resistance when withdrawing the pistol. 

Offline Marcion333

Re: best front pocket holsters for r9 IMHO
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2014, 07:45:33 PM »
forgot to mention that the last three holsters can be used with vz grips, but not the first holster because vz grips are two wide to allow gun to fit.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2014, 08:34:02 PM »
I guess if the slide of the pistol is exposed (hard to tell from that picture), that top holster probably is not an AOW under the NFA.  It is a little too close for my liking though...  I wouldn't want the hassle of a LEO not fully understanding what constitutes an illegal "wallet holster."

However, I don't understand the point of using a holster that leaves the trigger exposed.  I have pretty strong opinions on pocket holsters, but to me they serve a few important purposes (roughly in this order of importance):

1.  Cover the trigger
2.  Keep the gun properly oriented for a draw
3.  Disguise the shape of the gun
4.  Protect the finish of the gun

I have no issue with any of the Desantis holsters -- and they are a great value for the money.   :D

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2014, 09:33:03 AM »
I guess if the slide of the pistol is exposed (hard to tell from that picture), that top holster probably is not an AOW under the NFA.  It is a little too close for my liking though...  I wouldn't want the hassle of a LEO not fully understanding what constitutes an illegal "wallet holster."

However, I don't understand the point of using a holster that leaves the trigger exposed.  I have pretty strong opinions on pocket holsters, but to me they serve a few important purposes (roughly in this order of importance):

1.  Cover the trigger
2.  Keep the gun properly oriented for a draw
3.  Disguise the shape of the gun
4.  Protect the finish of the gun

I have no issue with any of the Desantis holsters -- and they are a great value for the money.   :D

+1 Duane.  I posted the same opinion about wallet holster similarity on a previous thread.  Would also add that the square pad for the Superfly is quite handy in front pocket carry with slacks if the pocket is not too tight...totally hides the outline of the pistol and could be a phone, wallet, etc.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline Marcion333

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2014, 10:37:25 PM »
wallet holsters are legal.  read ATF document  at http://www.gunnersecurity.com/wp-content/uploads/atf.jpg

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2014, 10:46:30 PM »
wallet holsters are legal.  read ATF document  at http://www.gunnersecurity.com/wp-content/uploads/atf.jpg.

To say they are legal is not quite correct. 

This document is consistent with what I said in the other thread on this topic.  If it disguises the gun and can be fired without removing it -- it is an AOW subject to additional fees and registration requirements under the NFA.

I can't tell with this particular one what it looks like with a gun in it.  If the slide is sufficiently exposed, it is probably o.k.  However, close calls like that make me nervous.  I wouldn't take the chance -- too many great pocket holsters out there. 

Also, any type of "wallet" holster disturbs the ergonomics of the gun and makes it potentially less effective, IMHO.

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2014, 10:50:25 PM »
The Bear Creek holsters sure look nice, maybe I'll get one someday

http://www.bearcreekholsters.com/

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2014, 09:23:42 AM »
I have a Bear Creek pocket holster similar to the one pictured...very nicely done.  Also have a Del Fatti (among others) but all of my leather holsters now hide in a climate controlled box and are taken out and cleaned occasionally.  I simply find that for pocket carry the DeSantis is lighter, stays in the pocket better when the pistol is drawn, and is more flexible as to fit when the detachable pad is put on or removed depending on pocket size.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline Marcion333

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2014, 11:14:54 AM »
as i have written in another thread, DDGator's reply above that not all wallet holsters are legal is right, and i thank him for correcting me.

i wrote the following correction on the other thread:

"What I should have said is that this ATF document states that a wallet holster like the pocket shot and shoot thru holster is legal because it "does not conceal the appearance of the pistol."  It is has the entire slide of the pistol exposed, and, although there is a hole permitting operation of the trigger, it merely encloses the grip and trigger guard of the pistol and extends in fron of the grip and below the slide.  Therefore, it is not subject to the provisions of 18 U.S.C. Chapter 44 or 26 U.S.C. Chapter 53. 

it's nice to see, in ATF's own writing, that this type of wallet holster is are legal (i sure hope i'm interpreting this document correctly!). 

one less concealed carry item to worry about. 

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2014, 12:00:19 PM »
As Duane observes, the problem with the "shoot-through" holster design, even if the holster in question does not fall within the National Firearms Act's definition of "Any Other Weapon," is that there will be the occasional LEO who doesn't know the difference.

http://www.atf.gov/content/firearms/firearms-industry/guides/national-firearms-act-definitions-any-other-weapon

That can lead to enough "confusion and unpleasantness" to ruin a perfectly good day. Even though I'm an unrepentant "holster junkie," I therefore do not own such a device.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 12:05:48 PM by Richard S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"