Author Topic: "Her Honor" Retires  (Read 5688 times)

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
"Her Honor" Retires
« on: June 01, 2012, 04:13:42 PM »
The lovely little judge to whom it is my great good fortune to be married retired this week amid more "pomp and circumstance" than she ever expected.

County celebrates retiring judge
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2012 at 11:26 am

Hamblen County General Sessions Judge Joyce M. Ward, second from left, celebrated her upcoming retirement, effective June 1, with county officials. On her left is Hamblen County Commission Chair Stancil Ford, District 13, and on her right are Hamblen County Circuit Court Clerk Teresa West and Hamblen County Mayor Bill Brittain. Ward served for 16 years.
Optimistic determination and steadfast integrity — relying on those qualities, Hamblen County General Sessions Judge Joyce M. Ward served local citizens for 16 years.

Her tenure ends Thursday, May 31, as her retirement begins. Tuesday afternoon, state Sen. Steve Southerland, Hamblen County Mayor Bill Brittain, Hamblen County commissioners, Hamblen County circuit court clerks, attorneys and friends gathered to celebrate Ward, both as a person and as a judge.

Morristown attorney Kelley Hinsley opened the ceremony and cited how Ward’s character made her not just a great judge, but also a cancer survivor.

“Her recovery was actually achieved because of her positive, confident, unyielding strength of character and her resolve to live. Because of that, she’s given us many years to share that joy — of her recovery and the benefit for her work. Let’s thank her now for refusing to die,” Hinsley said.

Southerland said he was proud to represent the state and Gov. Bill Haslam in thanking Ward for her years of service and wishing her well in retirement. He presented her with a certificate of merit, signed by the governor.

“I hereby confer upon you, Judge Joyce Ward, this Certificate of Award of Merit in recognition of your years of service, of faithful service in the best interests and the highest traditions in the state of Tennessee,” Southerland said.

Hamblen County Commission Chairman Stancil Ford, District 13, recalled when the body first appointed Ward as judge in 1978; at the time, she was the first woman to hold the general sessions judgeship in Hamblen County and the third in Tennessee. The people first elected her to the post in 1996.

“We appointed Judge Ward to fill out an unexpired term. She was elected many times thereafter with no problem whatsoever. But she has served this county and served it well,” Ford said.

Ford and Brittain proclaimed May 29, 2012, as Judge Joyce Mills Ward Day and thanked her for her years of service. Hamblen County Circuit Court Clerk Teresa West read the declaration.

“Hamblen County has been fortunate to have Judge Joyce Ward at the bench for so many years,” West said. Ward said the best part of her job as judge was all the friends she’d made, from the clerks to the attorneys, to the public officials.

“I appreciate each and every one of you so much and the only bad thing about retirement is that I won’t be seeing you anymore,” Ward said.

The clerks presented Ward with a picture of themselves, so she would never be without them, they joked.

“I will treasure this because it’s a reminder of the times here,” Ward said as she wiped away tears.

Ward’s husband, attorney Thomas Richard Spradlin, told the story of meeting Ward and how he knew when he saw her that she was the woman for him.

“She has been the best thing that’s ever happened to me and I know that she loves all of you. As one who has watched her interact with you, I must say that I’m just the luckiest man in the world and I can vouch that she loves each and every one of you,” Spradlin said.

Ward said serving as the people of Hamblen County was a great honor.

“It’s a big thing for a little person … It’s a great end to a great career,” Ward said.

From Staff Reports
Morristown Citizen Tribune

Here she is with the official portrait that will hang in her former courtroom:

And here she is with her permanent "bodyguard accessory":

I am winding up the last of my cases on appeal and we shall spend the next month or so at Critter Creek, where I shall be working on a "honey-do" list longer than my arm. Then she wants to travel through Ireland, and I have plans to lure her onto a bareboat charter sailing through the Florida keys where my Tennessee carry permit will be recognized. 

Life is good!  8)
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
Re: "Her Honor" Retires
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 06:02:47 PM »
Congrats to Her Honor, RS, on her retirement.  Certainly a well deserved accomplishment and both of you enjoy Critter Creek, Ireland, and the Florida Keys; sounds like a fantastic time.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Online tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 10:16:08 PM »

Life is good, indeed.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 10:29:48 PM »
Very nice.  Congrats to both of you, Richard.

Wherever you go, I hope you will have internet access!  ;)

If you drive through west central Florida on the way to the keys, please stop by for a visit.

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2012, 06:33:25 AM »
Congratulations to Her Honor and for beating Cancer as well! 

Enjoy your travels.
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline K-Man

• Master
  • aka Someone Else
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2012, 07:36:01 AM »
Congratulations to both of you, Richard.  It was a pleasure to meet both of you last year.

I think you have your work cut out for you though to get her Honor on the charter boat.  ;)

www.kdholsters.com

U.S. Navy (Retired)

May we always have the freedom to pursue our dreams.

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2012, 11:12:44 AM »
congrats to herself, the fine woman that she is. enjoy her retirement, which should be hard to do with that long list.  Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2012, 09:27:40 PM »
So happy for you and Joyce Richard....the best is yet to come!  Should you cruise through Amelia Island region, drop me a pm and if we are here, Arnell and I will ply both of you with libations of choice one evening.  We've been here for about 7 weeks, but will return to the Smokeys in about 2 weeks, returning to FL for October/Nov.
Thank Her Honor for her service to her community, state and country for us.
John
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline Z

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2012, 07:29:56 AM »
Congradations! :)

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2012, 07:13:57 PM »
Richard, Congratulations to both of you. I hope you enjoy Ireland as much as we did.
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2012, 07:52:49 PM »
Thank you all, gentlemen.

I caught this photograph of "Her Honor" at ease today here at Critter Creek. 

She is "chatting" on-line with our daughter, who is on vacation in Germany with our son-in-law and two grandsons. They have just visited the Haus am Checkpoint Charlie Museum.

I used to go through that gateway on what we used to call "Flying-the-Flag" duty, circa 1963-66. It was a real blast to cruise around at will in what was then known as "East Berlin" in a U. S. staff car with the STASI following along in their little Soviet-made sedans.

At least we knew who our enemies were at the time,
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2012, 11:20:24 AM »
IMO most of us know who our enemies are (domestic and foreign), but it appears to be politically incorrect to identify them, name them, monitor them, combat them or vote against those whose liberal ideas allow them to flourish (and I am not referring to any specific race or religious persuasion).
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2012, 02:58:35 PM »
Richard my friend,
Congrats to your wife on the retirement,and to the venues that have been opened for you and your wife!!
Have a great time in no matter what you do!!
Enjoy life my friend,enjoy life!!!
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2012, 04:54:39 PM »
Thank you, Brenden, my friend! Life is good.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"