Author Topic: Massad Ayoob on Stand Your Ground  (Read 1362 times)

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Re: Massad Ayoob on Stand Your Ground
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 06:54:55 PM »
As one who has been a member of the Bar for the past 49 years, I'm here to say that Ayoob is right on the mark in this presentation.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 10:31:08 PM »

This is also just a lot of common sense but stated very succinctly. As former Florida Governor Jeb Bush said recently, "When I signed the bill that said 'stand your ground' it didn't mean chase them down."

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 09:14:28 AM »
There is a lot of misunderstanding out there for sure.  I have a neurosurgeon friend who has a .357 for home protection (first mistake...probably too much penetration).  He and his wife heard a strange noise one night and he armed himself and searched the house...false alarm but he asked me how to "clear his house" in that circumstance.  The answer, of course, is not to go looking for a man with a gun.  Retreat to a secure room, lock the door, call the police and wait it out.  If someone breaks the door down, he is fair game.  Had a patient one time, a middle aged woman who went to the kitchen about 3 a.m.   Her half-asleep husband, not realizing she wasn't in the bed, armed himself with his .357 and went out to check...shot her in the chest.  We saved her, but it was close and I don't think the relationship lasted!
John
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 11:17:43 AM »
I am a big fan of Ayoob, he always talks plain and simple with good old common sense.

Thanks John for the link.