Author Topic: Shot my new Stealth!  Range report....  (Read 3022 times)

Offline sharp

• Expert
Shot my new Stealth!  Range report....
« on: March 24, 2010, 09:27:12 PM »
Went to the indoor range to run a few rounds through my new Stealth R9S.  I hadn't field stripped it yet (couldn't find my 1/16 pin punch), so I pulled the slide back and clamped one hand over it to hold and added a little lube to the little beast.  Found some Ballistol and thought I'd try it due to some member's recommendations.  Had a mixed bag (really a bag) of ammo...was a mixture of mostly Blazer FMJ and Speer with some kind of frangible bullets.  I didn't have any non +P hollow points so I wasn't able to check reliability with hollow points.  Using both mags, I shot 50 rounds at a range of 7 yards.  The only malfunction of any kind was a light primer strike, or maybe just a hard primer....don't know because it fired on the second pull of the trigger.  I wasn't as accurate as I would have liked, but it was me not the pup.  All shots were on paper and basically center of mass.  I shot each mag full once with strong hand and weak hand, then I shot the rest using both hands.  I learned that I shoot closer to point of aim using my weak hand than I do with my strong hand, which was a surprise.  I guess my flinch is a little more pronounced with the strong hand, which threw all shots to the left of point of aim.  I also learned that 50 rounds is about my limit for a range session with the R9.  Trigger kind of gouges the side of my trigger finger where it rubs on the front/bottom of the trigger during recoil.  All in all I was pretty pleased with the performance of my Stealth.  Next trip I plan on buying a couple of boxes of SD ammo so I can check reliability with hollow points.  
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 09:32:32 PM by sharp »

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
Re: Shot my new Stealth!
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 09:36:50 PM »
sharp.  Thanks for the excellent range report.  Fifty rds is a good range session with the R9.  Maybe try a bandaid on your finger next time may help.  Again, excellent.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
Re: Shot my new Stealth!  Range report....
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 11:03:48 PM »
Sounds like a good range trip, and a better day than my five hours of blowing leaves.  :(

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Chief-USN

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 11:30:43 AM »
Oweee My hand hurts just thinking about 50 rounds through a 9mm pup!   ;D
Allen
Retired Navy (1969-1992)
Viet Nam Vet
Desert Storm Vet
Lifetime NRA Member

Veteran " Freedom isn't free, I Paid for it"

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 12:21:25 PM »
sharp, glad you and the pup enjoyed the day.  Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline sharp

• Expert
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 09:19:48 PM »
Field stripped the pup last night....a lot easier than with my first.  The take down pin comes out MUCH easier.  On my first R9S I had to tap it out with hammer and punch pin which was near impossible having only 2 hands... ;D.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2010, 09:51:53 PM »
Another satisfied owner.  Excellent on the field stripping.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline scar2783

• Sharpshooter
  • MS
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2010, 04:38:18 PM »
Thanks for the report!

M
Mark

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2010, 07:40:34 PM »
Sharp:

Thank you for the excellent range report. I'm with you in that 50 rounds is about enough for me in one range session with the R9. My record for a single session remains at 67, which was my first time out with the little beast in May 2004. [Lord -- that's coming up on six years!  :o  [size=10]"Mine enemies are growing old."[/size]   ;) ]
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 07:42:42 PM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2010, 09:37:11 PM »
Welcome sharp. I have never fired 50 rounds in my R9S as I follow the factory mantra to "shoot little and carry much".

Don't get me wrong. I love the report and kick from the Rohrbaugh; big cartridge in a small package. However, I reserve the 50 round sessions for my larger guns like Glock 36, Ruger SP101, 1911, et al.
Those who turn their guns into plowshares end up plowing for those that do not - Thomas Jefferson

Offline sharp

• Expert
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2010, 09:34:22 PM »
I agree ACP,  However I would like to shoot enough rounds through it to have confidence in it before carrying.  As such I'll probably have a couple more similar range sessions, after which I will be fully subscribed to your suggestion to carry a lot and shoot a little.

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2010, 01:42:56 PM »
sharp,

Please note I deserve no credit for the suggestion "carry much and shoot little". That is Rohrbaugh's recommendation. However, shooting your R9, so as to acquire confidence in the gun, is informed behavior.
Those who turn their guns into plowshares end up plowing for those that do not - Thomas Jefferson

Offline DTM_39

• Master
  • NRA LIFE MEMBER
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2010, 07:14:11 PM »
Sharp, Thanks for he range report and good luck with your new stealth.   I think I might have the record as to number of rounds fired in one session.  Two full trays 48 guns per tray 5 rounds per gun.  480 rounds.  I don't remember if all guns were flawless.  If they were not gun would be dissasembled inspected  and test fired again.  But I know 480 is a minimum.  I was a little sore but not to bad.  The next day I went to test fire again and the first shot I saw stars. Didn't do alot of test firing that day.  Dan
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 07:16:40 PM by DTM_39 »
NRA LIFE MEMBER