Author Topic: holster or scabbard for the car?  (Read 9160 times)

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
Re: holster or scabbard for the car?
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2011, 12:36:05 PM »
Even leaving the empty holster in the car alerts interested parties to the possibility that you are armed and would also be an invitation to break into the car to find the "gun that might now be hidden under the seat."  The point of concealed carry is to CONCEAL that fact.  My solution is a cross draw holster on my left hip (a shoulder holster under a jacket works, as does an ankle holster for those who like them).
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2011, 12:46:03 PM »
I agree with the cross draw on the left hip for right handers as the best compromise for a concealed situation. That also keeps the gun available in an accident or other sudden turn of events where one could be separated from his weapon.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 12:51:19 PM by tracker »

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2011, 01:28:17 PM »
Even leaving the empty holster in the car alerts interested parties to the possibility that you are armed and would also be an invitation to break into the car to find the "gun that might now be hidden under the seat."  The point of concealed carry is to CONCEAL that fact.  My solution is a cross draw holster on my left hip (a shoulder holster under a jacket works, as does an ankle holster for those who like them).

Agreed-

I would not leave the car without throwing a towel over the seat covering the holster as well.

Towels on seats are not uncommon in TX due to the heat 10 months out of the year.
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2011, 01:49:18 PM »
I agree with the cross draw as well; have one and works; easily accessible.  
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 01:50:29 PM by kjtrains »
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2011, 02:11:32 PM »

Agreed-

I would not leave the car without throwing a towel over the seat covering the holster as well.

Towels on seats are not uncommon in TX due to the heat 10 months out of the year.
Forget the towel...when I'm in Texas, I assume EVERYONE is carrying.  Love that state!
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2011, 02:50:23 PM »

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2011, 02:59:38 PM »
In Texas, when you get pulled over by LE, and asked if you are carrying, if you tell them "no", then the officer gives you a gun!   ;D

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2011, 08:51:41 PM »
I use a Wilderness safepacker in my car.  Doesn't look particularly gun-like, stays in the ideal position around the seatbelt, and all you have to do is reach in, and it un-velcros, and leave the gun in your hand.  

I keep my G17 and a reload in mine - used to keep my XD45 5" in it.  
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2011, 09:57:03 PM »
Not terribly subtle, but excellent for larger calibre weapons especially.  I like it.
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2011, 02:46:07 AM »
That Safepacker is handy for sure.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2011, 02:24:05 PM »

Excellent design and addresses the concealability issue. I like the idea you can put it on your belt when leaving the vehicle or carry it concealed.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2011, 03:47:19 PM »
I use a Wilderness safepacker in my car.  Doesn't look particularly gun-like, stays in the ideal position around the seatbelt, and all you have to do is reach in, and it un-velcros, and leave the gun in your hand.  

I keep my G17 and a reload in mine - used to keep my XD45 5" in it.  

Another good idea!  I like it, too!
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline sm8770

« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2011, 12:37:02 AM »
Agliftet,

Thanks for the info--I'll be ordering in near future.

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2011, 12:43:26 AM »
Just be sure to either order the extra velcro piece to "blind" the one piece of velcro, or get a piece from a store to do so - otherwise, the velcro between the strap and the body will abrade your seatbelt - I doubt it matters, but I got tired of the wear on my old seatbelt.  

You can either undo the strap, and fasten it around the shoulder strap, so it stays attached, or you can feed the seatbelt buckle between the strap and the body - I much prefer to feed the buckle through, as I prefer that position, and feel its much more secure.  

I really, really like those things for carry, and have given them to various family members.  

It might not be subtle to a cop, but I don't think anyone else will notice, and you really can't get any more "ready" even if you open carried a pistol while driving.  
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.