Author Topic: 6.0L diesel  (Read 2615 times)

Offline Robar233

• Master
6.0L diesel
« on: February 11, 2012, 05:29:56 PM »
Dear Forum Members,

I have gotten some fantastic gun stuff advice from many of you. This is the only forum that I currently belong to. I have a question for you that is WAY off topic so I guess the water cooler is the perfect spot for it.

I have an '05F350 with the 6.0L diesel that is my "sand box" truck. I baby it and she only has 51K miles on her. She came out of warranty last summer. I am now thinking about some minor modifications to improve fuel economy and may be performance a  little. I don't want anything crazy in the way of a huge HP gain chip.

Do any of you have any experience with cold air intakes, bigger diameter exhausts, or a minor chip upgrades? I have heard from friends I don't want to go too crazy or I will have $$$$ problems with head studs.

Any advice would be appreciated.  I really don't have any desire to join another forum. I enjoy surfing and posting on this one enough.

Thanks,

Robar233

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
Re: 6.0L diesel
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 12:03:01 AM »
I'll talk with my neighbor, he is a top notch mechanic and specialized in Diesels when he work at a Chevy dealership, he also had his own repair shop for 17 years after that.
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Robar233

• Master
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 08:42:56 AM »
John,

Fantastic! Thanks for the assistance. For whatever reason the people I know and trust happen to be the type that say leave OEM alone. I am not looking for a race truck some a little improvement. Kinda like the VZ grips and your screws I have not gotten yet!

Thanks,

Robar233

Offline lws380

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 11:04:36 AM »
I can't offer a lot of advise, but I can offer one.  I use Stanadyne in every fillup.  It improves lubricity, cleans fuel system, and improves MPG.  I buy it by the 5 gallons and that makes it more affordable to use.  I buy it here: http://www.blueridgediesel.com/shop/performance-formula-additive-5-gallons/

About 165,000 miles on my 2004 Duramax and I think it helps.  I get about 20 MPG on the highway and about 18 or so around town.  I don't drive fast or crazy and I think that helps too.

Offline Douglas

• Expert
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 11:31:09 AM »
Odd to see this now, a friend was just searching for a diesel Excursion and going back and forth between the 6.0 and the 7.3. I heard a lot about it. He chose a 7.3.

What I learned is that the 6.0 is good when left alone. Performance boosts may lead to stretched head bolts and then leaks. There can also be some EGR issues.

There's plenty of increase in mileage and power to be had, but when you do it is advisable to replace the head bolts with studs. The studs don't stretch. Kits are available. Then whatever you do in terms of chip or boost, etc. you shouldn't have the head problems.

The work can be expensive, from what I understand it's preferred to remove the body to do the job. Sounds crazy, but that's what they often do. Otherwise it's even more time consuming.

There are videos on Youtube detailing the process.

Offline Robar233

• Master
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 07:54:59 PM »
Douglas & lws380,

You are both right on the money. I have been using the Stanadyne performance formula for about three years it is great. I had a problem with an injector & the pump at 24K and started using after that problem. No more problems and I am at 52k.

I read about EGR problems too and as a preventative measure replaced it with a "Bullet Proof" EGR cooler. I also replaced the oil cooler with an new OEM model.

I have heard about the head stud problems when you go with big horsepower. That is not my goal. I would like 5 more mpg's and I wold be happy. I am getting 15 mpg around town on the winter blend and this goes up to almost 18 mpg with the summer blend fuel.

The 7.3L has had less problems than the 6.0L but was no longer available when I was in the market for the truck.

I am leaning towards a cold air intake and may be new exhaust to get to my goal of 5 more mpg.

Thanks for the help!

Robar233