Author Topic: 22 for self defense  (Read 1541 times)

Offline Jack_F

• Grand Master
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified instructor: Pistol,Rifle,Shotgun ,Muzzleloading-Pistol-Rifle-Shotgun,Personal Protection In The Home, Personal Protection Outside The home,Home Firearm Safety

Offline Chief-USN

• Grand Master
Re: 22 for self defense
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 09:26:15 AM »
Interesting report, but I still like my .45ACP 1911's .  Guess it is hard to teach this "Old Dog" new tricks.

Allen
Retired Navy (1969-1992)
Viet Nam Vet
Desert Storm Vet
Lifetime NRA Member

Veteran " Freedom isn't free, I Paid for it"

Offline Jack_F

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 03:23:04 PM »
Interesting report, but I still like my .45ACP 1911's .  Guess it is hard to teach this "Old Dog" new tricks.

I like them .......I have two Wilson CQB's that I train with off and on.....mostly carry S&W M&P's now days
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified instructor: Pistol,Rifle,Shotgun ,Muzzleloading-Pistol-Rifle-Shotgun,Personal Protection In The Home, Personal Protection Outside The home,Home Firearm Safety

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 06:32:53 PM »
Following the Munich Olympics tragedy the Israeli Mossad elevated the .22 Beretta into "cult status," but their use of that weapon had nothing to do with self defense.

The .22 in any configuration can be effective for self-defense, but the key is "placement, placement, placement" -- and in the sudden stress of self-defense situations that can be problematical.

Still and all, if a .22 were all that I had available, I would be damned glad to have it. 
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Griff

• Expert
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013, 07:47:25 PM »
I carried a .22 magnum mini-revolver for more than 20 years.  I knew that it was the next step better than no gun at all, and that it probably wouldn't penetrate a skull or chest.
My biggest issue with the .22 is the rimfire primer.  You can never be absolutely sure that it will ignite.  But, it is absolutely better than fingernails.

‘Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive...those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.‘
- C. S. Lewis

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2013, 05:35:51 PM »
I knew a lot of Cops that had those Beretta 22's in their pockets  15-20 yrs ago before the Micro 380 Boom Hit.
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE