Author Topic: Knives  (Read 10793 times)

Offline glazier

Knives
« on: June 08, 2005, 01:04:56 AM »
Hey,
 Kinves go with R9's like Ducks go with water, right?  I haven't seen much discussion 'bout the sharp things here on this forum.  Today I picked up a Benchmade/Blackwood collaboration that I'll carry on my 'off side' to dissuade any gun grabbers out there.  It's longer in length and almost as heavy as my R9 BUG...  Thanks to the folks at ROHRBAUGH, life is goooood!   ;D
Measure Twice...CUT Once!

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
Re: Knives
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2005, 10:43:09 AM »
No... not too much discussion, although lots of people here like knives too.

I actually got a sample of the blue CF grip material and tried to have a folder made with scales to match my R-9 exactly.... but it didn't work out.  That CF material is difficult to work with.

Benchmades are my favorite knives right now.  I carry a Mini-grip all the time.
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline BlueGrips

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2005, 04:28:23 PM »
Glazer,

Are you talking about the BIG ASS Benchmade Skirmish/Neil Blackwood Collaboration knife? I got the same one, 4.3" blade w/overal length of 9.7" weighting in only at 6.84 oz.

Got these pictures from the BladeForums:

Cheers!

Cuteo100

Offline Billmack

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2005, 09:29:53 PM »
Folks,

I enjoy folders almost as much as firearms. I’m always looking for something new and interesting.

I need an education / direction on knives. Hopefully, not a costly (or should I say not at my expense)

I find myself buying a new blade, and within a day or two, concluding it’s nice but not right.

What blade material is considered the best?  What other characteristic should one look for in top quality knives?

State law, (Rhode Island) prohibits me from carrying a knife with a blade longer then 3 inches. (I can carry a .45, but not a 3 1/4” knife. Go figure)

Recommended manufactures and web sites of interest would be appreciated.  

Thanks,

Billmack

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2005, 12:56:19 AM »
Billmack.  If you ever want to give yourself a treat attend the Blade Show held each June (was just held last weekend) in Atlanta Georgia.   Largest knife show in the world- over 500 tables of custom and factory knves.  You will meet great people who are into quality knives - many  I know who also own a R9 or planning to.   I have been into knives for many years - feel free to send me a private post with your email to pick my brain.
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away..."

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2005, 10:28:06 AM »
Billmack,

I find myself doing the same thing with guns!  Each one promises to be the ideal gun and ultimatley I get bored or disappointed with it and move on...  Except for the R-9.  ;D

I like knives a lot too.  I am no expert, but I think that asking which is the best steel is like asking which is the best handgun caliber.  Depends on what you are going to do with it (and how much you want to pay).

My dream knife right now is a small Chris Reeve Sebenza.
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline chameleon

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2005, 03:25:55 PM »
Look at the Doug Ritter knife, the Mini.
It is produced by benchmade, and has S30V steel, and an Axis lock which makes it ambidextrous.
Get the plain edge.
 I like the Sheeps head blade design, and that really shows up in the Large Doug Ritter. However, you won't be able to carry one in RI.

Benchmade has some great models out right now.
By the way, can't you  carry an automatic in RI?

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2005, 06:10:45 PM »
I do appreciate a nice knife..

I just carry a itty bitty Kershaw Chive as an everyday though.. ;)

I lean towards the fixed blade for hunting chores,and I lean towards the "old school" Case stag for that.. :)

We have a 3" limit for blade length in MI,so I have a bit of a limit,along with utility in the pocket..

Love looking at them though.. 8)
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline BillinPittsburgh

• Master
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2005, 12:47:02 AM »
I am also a knife fan.

Stay away from cheap knockoffs, but also ask if something is really worth it before spending upwards of $150 on a knife.  There are some good knives out there with unique features worth that much money, but they are the exception and not the rule.

For folders, I am a really big fan of Cold Steel, and there is a Recon 1 with the half-serrated spear point in my pocket as I type this.  The "Proof" and "More Proof" videos are worth watching although "More Proof" is overly long.

If you are limited to 3", the Benchmade Mini-Griptillian is an excellent choice.  I have two, one set up for each hand.

Features to look for:

Generally, avoid liner locks.  They wear out quickly.  I might make an exception for Cold Steel because of their Proof videos.

Rpcker bar locks are simple and strong, but provide the most resistance to thumb opening.  They are generally a good choice.

The Cold Steel Ultra Lock, Benchmade Axis Lock, and Spyderco ball bearing lock are among the best locking mechanisms I have seen.

I prefer tip-up carry, for fastest access from the pcoket.

There is a lot of hype about blade steels and styles, but it is mostly just that.  A "Tanto" point is nothing like a historical Japanese Tanto knife, and would actually penetrate less than something like a spear point.  A version of 440 stainless, AUS8, ATS34, or 154CM are common, reasonably priced choices.  Worry a lot more about legality of carry and speed of access than having the latest blade steel.

Emerson's wave opening feature is really nice, but will tear up pants relatively quickly, and see my earlier comments about liner locks.
Gentleness can only be expected from the strong.  Ancient Chinese proverb.

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2005, 02:09:43 AM »
BillinPittsburgh
That was an excellent reply to Billmack and I can tell that you have done a lot of research and know your factory tactiicals.  DDGator's Chris Reeve's small Sebenza is also an excellent choice and it has a a frame lock that doubles as a liner and would not break - I have met Chris Reeve at several Blade Shows and he is a great guy.  Of course you are getting more pricey.

A three inch limit does put alot of limitation on a folder.  I'm mainly into custom handmade slipjoint traditional folding knives.  I do have a few factory tactiicals that are made very well - Microtech and Klotzli ($150 to $250) - they  both sell three inch models and even though they are liner locks they are very strong - especially Microtech.  I have seen the handmade tactical knives of many makers and still very few can approach a Microtech - who also makes a button lock. I can tell you that I have tortured my Mictotech Mini-Socom with a three inch blade and it keeps an edge and can take heavy use.

What Billmack hasn't said is if he is looking for just a good using knife like a traditional folder and/or something for protection and most important how much he is wants to spend.  For protection a small three inch NA 22 mini-gun will beat a 12 inch blade anyday.

I have tried to share my interest in knives with others over the years.  I figure I have given out $3000 in knives  as gifts.  Many younger people never have had anyone to share this knowledge - their parents may have been from the flower woodstock era.  As Chris Reeves says "Think twice - cut once".  In fact I just obtain some pocket knives from Shrade that just went out of business to give to the right people who have never thought of carrying a pocket knife.   A side benifit is that most knife lovers will also like guns.

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away..."

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2005, 09:38:57 AM »
Very informative comments, Bill and Dave.  Thank you.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2005, 03:32:08 PM »
I was going to stay out of this,      but here's my carry Knife

RJ=

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2005, 04:13:05 PM »
RJ  I haven't had the pleasure.  That knife shows what I have thought about you from reading all of the posts - down to earth, and it you use something it better be functional.

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2005, 04:15:50 PM »
Automatic knives are not legal in US. It is a federal law. Never take a knife to a gun fight!!!  HAHA     Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline Billmack

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2005, 06:33:33 PM »
Thanks guys.

I asked for the education and I’m sure getting one.

Extremely  informative.

Billmack