Author Topic: Knives  (Read 10815 times)

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Re: Knives
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2005, 08:10:37 PM »
Billmack:

If you ask a question around here you are probably going to receive a thoughtful and constructive answer delivered in a civil tone of voice.  There is a varied wealth of collective experience represented by the members of this forum.  And the Administrator, thankfully, has a low tolerance for "trolls."  All in all, in my not-so-humble opinion, this is the best forum of its type which I have found on the Internet.  I rarely visit any others these days.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2005, 08:55:58 PM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline BillinPittsburgh

• Master
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2005, 10:37:06 PM »
Dave,

Thanks for saying so, and as I haven't had the chance to say so yet, welcome to the forum.

While I have no personal experience with Chris Reeve's Sebenza or Microtech, I have heard good things about both from people I respect.

I also agree with you that there are some really good liner locks out there, but one has to be really careful to make sure that one is getting one of these good locks.  A lot of the advertising hype I see simply doesn't accurately reflect the actual product.

Richard,

I agree with you as well.  Lately I am getting somewhat disillusioned with another board we have corresponded on because of an influx of trolls and lack of response from the board's administrators.  It is NOT easy to be a moderator or admin, one reason I've never sought out that responsibility.
Gentleness can only be expected from the strong.  Ancient Chinese proverb.

Offline Calvin Cooledge

• Expert
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2005, 04:56:36 PM »
Sorry, Tom, but interstate SHIPMENT of automatic knives is illegal.
We lucky dogs in Georgia can own autos, except inside the city
limits of Atlanta. I live outside those limits so I can own as many
as I want. We also have 'shall issue' CCW laws, so all ya'll oughta
move on down heyah, as they say...

Ya'll come now...

Hayword N. Edgewise

Automatic knives are not legal in US. It is a federal law. Never take a knife to a gun fight!!!  HAHA     Tom
"I'm spreading my loyalty around..." - Calvin Cooledge

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2005, 07:35:09 PM »
I believe the law says it is ok to own"collect" but not carry or have one on your person.         Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2005, 11:00:27 PM »
It is ok to "collect" - at least in many states.  The tricky thing is if you have to prove you collect.  At the large knife "Blade Show" in Georgia there are many factory and handmade autos for sell.  I believe it is legal to carry a auto in Oregon - I think that is the home of Benchmade.  It is legal to carry a very small auto in California (surprise) but I don't remember the blade size.
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away..."

Offline gr8guns

« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2005, 07:52:40 AM »
I believe that California has a 2" blade size limit for legal carry.  Hence, some manufacturers have created a whole new line of 2" blade, California Legal knives.

Note that many cities have their own blade size limits.  State legal may not be legal in your city, or in the township speed trap you are passing through on your way to work.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2005, 07:55:19 AM by gr8guns »

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2005, 10:41:18 AM »
I know of people who carry automatic knives in states where they are illegal.  I sold the auto I had since I didn't want the temptation - plus you can open many of the knives almost as fast now days anyway.  It is fun to play with an auto though.

I don't understand why anyone would take a chance carrying an auto in an illegal state.  You never know if you will be searched for some reason.  Why give up being able to carry a gun because you were carrying an auto.  It would make sense that a person having a carry permit for a handgun could carry an auto knife - go figure.
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away..."

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2005, 05:13:55 PM »
In Florida, we have Concealed Weapon or Firearm permit/ license..I guess that covers anything..
« Last Edit: June 14, 2005, 05:14:22 PM by RHEDLEY »
RJ=

Offline sslater

• Master
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2005, 10:55:56 PM »
Interesting thread.  Most of the gun guys I know are also knife people.  Guess that's why the "Gun & Knife Shows" are so popular here in Michigan.
I have a modest collection - accumulation, really, of knives.  Mostly folders because that's what I can carry in an urban setting.

Over time, I've accumulated a fair number of good quality production blades.  I've found ATS-34, ATS-55, Aus-6, and Aus-8 are the most durable steels, and the easiest to keep sharp.  Spyderco (http://spyderco.com/edge-u-cation/) and A G.Russell Knives (http://www.agrussell.com/knife_information/knife_encyclopedia/articles/steel.html) have good charts of the various knife-making steels.  You don't need a degree in metalurgy, but it helps!

Even after buying the knife I carry - a Spyderco Delica - I continued to buy other, more expensive knives.  The store owner told me when I bought that Delica (AUS-8 steel) that I wouldn't be coming back to his store because I just bought the best carrying knife, period.  He was almost right.  Russell keeps sending those great catalogues and occasionally I bite on a new concept, easy opening, greatest-knife-to-slice-bread-with.  After a few days I aways go back to the Spyderco Delica.

I finally bought a second Delica with detachable pocket clip (my original one has a molded-in clip) and made from ATS-55 steel.  The original is still fine, but I bought an EdgePro sharpening system from Ben Dale in Hood River, OR.
http://www.edgeproinc.com/  

Mr. Dale demonstrated his system to me by sharpening my AUS-8 Delica.  It's now one of my treasures and only comes out of the box when I want to shave the hair off my arm! ;D

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2005, 11:40:05 PM »
RJ:
"Concealed Weapon ... " permit may not allow that weapon to be an automatic knife in many states - don't know about Florida.

sslater:
The best knife to carry is the one you actually carry.  Because of my work environment at work I carry a small folder.  Most of the people I work with are die hard liberals.  If I would open a tactical with a four inch blade, the ones that didn't faint would jump back as if I drew  a three foot sword.  I am mainly into handmade custom traditional slipjoint pocket knives - usually between 3 and four inches closed - this can get very expensive. If you think people think your crazy spending a $1000 on an R9S - just think how crazy they think you are to carry a $1000 pocket knife.  I do at times though slip a Microtech tatical into my back pocket by my wallet when not at work.

Now sharpening is another story.  Every knife I own is carried and used.  I know people who have knife collections worth many thousands and no quality sharpening equipment - mainly because most of those knives are never used.  I have stones (natural, diamond, ceramic),   and I use two 8 in. ceramic stones (fine and ultra-fine) for most of my sharpening.  Sharpening is a learned skill and after years I'm still learning.  All of my knives are hair shaving sharp.  Ceramic V rods do an excellent job and would serve most people.

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2005, 12:02:41 AM »
Memories of Your Dad's or Grandpa's Pocket Knife!!!

I have found that very few people carry a knife if their father never did.  My dad carried the same pocket knife for 40 years - a 3.5 inch closed Case barlow with a bone handle he carved his entials into.  I have many pleasant memories of my dad using that well worn knife, for they are snap shots of my dad's life with me.  I finally figured out the reason I never could find that perfect knife and would jump to another. It is because the perfect knife didn't exist.  What I was really doing was trying to find a knife that I had as much attachment to as my dad did for that Case.

A few times I gave my dad expensive pocket knives when I got older.  But the next time he needed to use a knife out came that old Case.  Well Dad lost that knife.  I'm hoping somehow, someday, it will be found for it is the only thing of my dad's I would want that would mean the most to me.  So he started using a Ivory handled knife I gave him but it was easy to tell he missed his friend.

So in conclusion the reason I can never find that perfect pocket knife is because I really was searching for my childhood with my father.   That only exists in my memories.

Does anyone else have such memories of a knife owned and used my someone special???

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2005, 03:37:32 AM »
Personally, I just carry a "superknife" -- not that it'd be any good in defense, but it's pretty nice for chores.

Brad
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2005, 06:59:53 PM »
MountainMan:

I identified fully with your story about your father's Case Barlow pocket knife.  For me, it was my father's Winchester 1906-model pump-action .22, which was stolen while I was working overseas.  I shall be trying to find that rifle until the day I die.  
« Last Edit: June 15, 2005, 07:05:56 PM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline K-Man

• Master
  • aka Someone Else
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2005, 09:22:55 PM »
Even after buying the knife I carry - a Spyderco Delica - I continued to buy other, more expensive knives.  The store owner told me when I bought that Delica (AUS-8 steel) that I wouldn't be coming back to his store because I just bought the best carrying knife, period.  

As a result of doing a custom pocket holster for a Spyderco Delica some time back for a customer, I now have my own and love it.  I take it everywhere I go.  It's easy and quick to use and maintains a good edge.  
www.kdholsters.com

U.S. Navy (Retired)

May we always have the freedom to pursue our dreams.

Offline gr8guns

« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2005, 11:59:29 AM »

The Speedsafe assisted-opening system assists the user to smoothly open the knife with a manual push on the blade's thumb stud.   Legally this is not a switch blade or gravity knife with a button on the handle. This knife requires a small push on the blade (on the thumb stud) to overcome resistant from the torsion bar, then the torsion bar springs the blade open.

http://www.kershawknives.com