Author Topic: liability for damage from stolen gun  (Read 2067 times)

Offline mjt

liability for damage from stolen gun
« on: September 02, 2006, 08:46:11 PM »

Does anyone know anything about legal liability for damage done using a gun that was stolen from you, for example in the case of a "car gun" (i.e. a gun left in a car all the time...BG breaks into car, BG steals gun, BG shoots someone with gun, it is later determined to be your gun).  I guess similar questions can be asked about a gun left in one's home, in a hotel room, a cabin, etc.  Criminal and/or civil implications?

I am interested in responses from people with actual knowledge of the law and not opinions about what "seems just/right"...I've already got plenty of the latter for myself.  Thanks!

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
Re: liability for damage from stolen gun
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2006, 10:16:27 PM »
Don't know the law - do know one of my brothers had a pistol taken in PA. and the person used it to kill his girlfriend or wife (don't remember) - nothing happened to my brother except he was told it was his gun.
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away..."

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2006, 11:02:54 PM »
One key question might be, was it reported as stolen?

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2006, 01:41:57 AM »
I guess serious carelessness leading to theft just might come back on an owner but overall - I'd expect the user to carry responsibility for useage - whether honorable or felonious.

So a crime committed should be down to the user/perpetrator if stolen.  Erich is a member who could perhaps comment usefully.

Something of the message below seems relevant -

Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.