Author Topic: What's in your "bug out kit"?  (Read 9732 times)

RA_Bakken

What's in your "bug out kit"?
« on: September 19, 2006, 10:01:18 PM »
Howdy friends.

If the feces hits the oscillating wind movement device, do you have a "bug out kit"?  Was reading in this month's Combat Handguns, and they talk about such a kit - in this case a Glock 17 w/ extra parts, mags and ammo.

Do any of you have such a kit?  I'm thinking of putting together a "get out of Dodge" kit for emergencies.  Like the 1911 (and R9 of course), but can't work too deeply on one.  Glocks ARE easy to work on though...

What do ya think?

-Spectro

Offline riffraff

• Master
Re: What's in your "bug out kit"?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2006, 12:19:15 AM »
Spectro,

Get out of Dodge and go where?  Unless you live inside a large city if the fecal matter hits the rotating air moveing device the safest place is going to be inside your home.

Mike
NRA Benefactor Member
FCSA Life Member

RA_Bakken

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2006, 12:22:37 AM »
You're totally right, riffraff...but was thinking of the "natural disaster" type of thing where you would actually have to leave home or neighborhood or the like.  And you had to grab and get out quick w/ something useful.

Offline ROKTMAN

• Expert
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2006, 02:06:20 AM »
Interesting topic.Unless the situation presented it`s self where I have to leave I can hold off the troops for LONG time at the homestead.

I figure a HK tactical .45,HK MP5, or HK 93 folder(not sure)Ernest Emerson CQC-6 ,cash and all the survival essentials for living off the land.  

Offline riffraff

• Master
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2006, 10:59:30 AM »
One thing to keep in mind about a natural disaster and haveing to leave the area, chances are the police and military will be confiscating guns just like they did in New Orleans.
You will have to avoid any roadblocks and check points or basically any type of authorities whatsoever while you are exiting and then you need to have friends or family home to go to because they are not going to let you keep your gun in any kind of public shelter.

Mike
NRA Benefactor Member
FCSA Life Member

RA_Bakken

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2006, 11:04:03 AM »
That whole New Orleans gun confiscation thing still burns me up!  Do you guys think this sort of thing would happen in a more "normal" city / state, that wasn't so leftist?  Is there any movement on lawsuits against the authorities who did the confiscating?

In a public shelter, there's no doubt they would (sadly) prohibit legally armed citizens.

The key seems, again, to be preparation before something bad happens!

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2006, 12:29:22 PM »
Spectro:

I have what I call my "war bag," which I keep packed and throw into the back seat of the car whenever we leave town.  It's a large black canvas range-type bag.  Your post prompted me to make an inventory of its current contents:

loaded .45 caliber pistol with holster & two extra loaded magazines
spare ammunition (two 50-round boxes)
gun cleaning kit
ear plugs
binoculars
digital camera with spare batteries
multi-tool
flashlights (3) with spare batteries
hunting knife with sheath
hand axe with sheath
sharpening stone
lighters (2)
magnifying glass
first aid kit
snake bite kit
insect repellant
fishing kit (basic)
toilet kit
mess kit (Army surplus)
canteen (Army surplus)
water treatment tablets
12-hour light sticks (2)
AM/FM Radio with spare batteries
candles (3)
emergency whistle with lanyard
hand towel

(No wonder the thing is getting a little heavy.   :) )
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

RA_Bakken

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2006, 12:40:09 PM »
What, Richard?  No change of underwear?  Hehehe...

NICE kit, sir.  I'm aspiring to something like that.  Problem is carying it very far is tough, so I'm looking at decent backpacks that are rugged and "low profile" socially, if you know what I mean.

Offline riffraff

• Master
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2006, 01:59:55 PM »
There really only a few scenarios where one might have to leave his home(castle).

Floods,  this is the most likely.  If you are flooded then you have to move.  If you live in a flood plane them move now.  I am serious about this advice.

Next is volcanic activity.  This is only a real danger in the Pacific Northwest and the YellowStone Caldera regions.  If you live near these areas you might want to consider moveing now.

Another is a severe earthquade prone area.  These areas are most of the States that are on the Pacific Ocean.  The other big one is the fault line around Memphis Tennessee.  If you live on these areas you might want to consider moveing.  If you don't live in a big city even if an earthquake severely damaged your home there should be no need to actually pack up and leave but if you live near the Memphis fault zone be aware that there would also be considerable flooding from the Mississippi river so again make sure you are on high ground.

The other possibility is a radioactive dirty bomb or actual nuclear explosion.  This will most probably occour in one of our large coastal cities or a few other large cities inland.  If you live in one of these cities you might consider moveing.

The only other possibility is a Nuclear Power Plant melt down but I don't think that well ever again happen.

So I have recomended to a lot of people that they consider moveing.  If you want security for you, your family, you kids and grandkids you should not look at a move as just to much of a pain in the butt, not at all.  You should see it as something that a responsible head of a household will do for the long term safety of their family.

My opinions only,  Mike
NRA Benefactor Member
FCSA Life Member

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2006, 03:50:42 PM »
Where do you live, Mike?

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2006, 05:10:57 PM »
what ever you have in your bug out bag, you have to carry it
Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline DTM_39

• Master
  • NRA LIFE MEMBER
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2006, 05:29:44 PM »
I have a bug out bag although not as well packed as Richards.  However living on Long Island the only way out by land is going by New York City. That I think would be a disaster in an emergency.  If it were a true disaster my best bet would be on the boat.  Always full and always stocked. Dan
« Last Edit: September 20, 2006, 05:30:46 PM by DTM_39 »
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Offline riffraff

• Master
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2006, 11:54:58 PM »
Tracker,

I do live about 40 miles from a Nuclear Power plant and about 70 miles from a large Military stockpile of old chemical and biological weapons but am not in any danger from the possible threats in my previous post.

Mike
NRA Benefactor Member
FCSA Life Member

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2006, 12:13:51 AM »
Mike,
Thanks; it must be a military secret.

Offline riffraff

• Master
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2006, 12:30:30 PM »
Tracker,

Well, you KNOW the old saying, I could tell you but then I would have to......... ;D  :) ;) ;D

Mike
NRA Benefactor Member
FCSA Life Member