Author Topic: What's in your "bug out kit"?  (Read 9666 times)

Offline prydwen

Re: What's in your "bug out kit"?
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2006, 08:52:38 PM »
I thought I might just take stuff from other people!
(kidding)
I live in a place you can only get to on purpose...no volcanoes,
no sunamis,  earthquakes not too likely...
our biggest problem will be the evacuation of folks
from the bigger places around us and we will have to
contend with that bunch of panicked city folks which
may be a disaster in itself for us.  my bug-out kit is a
"DANGER infectuous quarantine" sign for the front and doors of my place! Yet, still carry a kit in my truck...I'd siggest EVERYBODY go through a basic EMT courrse at earliest opportunity...then an NRA summer course at any local gunsmithing school on your favored rifle and pistol...your personal skills may be more important than your stuff.

Offline Calvin Cooledge

• Expert
B.O.B. Or: Armaggeddon Outta Here...
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2006, 08:39:12 PM »
I call my bag BOB, for Bug Out Bag. We've talked about them in Blade Magazine, mine is quite heavy. (Weighs about as much as my house, now that I think about it;^)

It's very well equipped, now all I need is a helicopter;^)

My guess RiffRaff is from Anniston, Alabama or Pittsburgh, PA suburbs.
But that's just me;^)

Steve
BTW-I coined the term "Armaggeddon Outta Here" back in 1971.
Now you know...;^)

Tracker,

I do live about 40 miles from a Nuclear Power plant and about 70 miles from a large Military stockpile of old chemical and biological weapons but am not in any danger from the possible threats in my previous post.

Mike
"I'm spreading my loyalty around..." - Calvin Cooledge

Offline riffraff

• Master
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2006, 10:07:01 PM »
Calvin Cooledge,

Not even close.

Mike
NRA Benefactor Member
FCSA Life Member

RA_Bakken

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2006, 01:55:35 AM »
Calvin C - you're right about the EMT course.  Have been through it myself, and it's vital info in a pinch.  Having a good medical kit, including dental emergencies, is a pretty important item to consider.  As some adventure and overseas travel experts say, build a kit based upon how long you'll potentially be away from medical help.  Could it be days, a week maybe?  Then build a little better kit.

Based on the ideas I'm gettin' from y'all, I've created a great BOB!  But I have no trunk space now, and my car only gets 12 miles to the gallon w/ the extra weight I"ve loader her with!  :-)

Guess it's time to buy one of those new Toyota FJ Land Cruisers - the penultimate bug out vehicle!

Offline Calvin Cooledge

• Expert
The life you save might be your own...
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2006, 12:42:43 PM »
Did I mention the importance of a Big Honkin® knife? I mean one that is called a "Camp Knife" in knife circles. This one could do it all in a pinch, from cutting the mustard to getting yourself out of a pickle. (Condiment Puns-Can there be too many? ;^) My pic for that knife is a Bob Dozier Made D-2 hunter with the best Kydex® sheath on the planet.
Less than $300. The life you save may be your own... There are MANY other competent less expensive knives out there. YMMV;^)

And meds. Especially long term meds for us old Codgers and Geezers.
A month supply or more might be in order. One more thing wasn't mentioned is maintenance of BOB. Check him(?) regularly for things that expire (aspirin, meds, etc.) and rotate the inventory. Especially foodstuffs.

I'm not sure how much ammo I'll need. I'll have a Warthog .45ACP, and of course my Rohrbaugh, which never leave my side (pocket;^)

If I'm lucky enough to be at home if (hopefully not) a big one happens, I'll grab the 12GA. pump. Oh, and then there's that pesky Ruger SP-101 wheel gun in 9mm, to help the R9 if it gets tired;^)

Now that I think about it, I'm really liking this helicopter idea. How much are they;^)

Cal

Calvin C - you're right about the EMT course.  Have been through it myself, and it's vital info in a pinch.  Having a good medical kit, including dental emergencies, is a pretty important item to consider.  As some adventure and overseas travel experts say, build a kit based upon how long you'll potentially be away from medical help.  Could it be days, a week maybe?  Then build a little better kit.

Based on the ideas I'm gettin' from y'all, I've created a great BOB!  But I have no trunk space now, and my car only gets 12 miles to the gallon w/ the extra weight I"ve loader her with!  :-)

Guess it's time to buy one of those new Toyota FJ Land Cruisers - the penultimate bug out vehicle!

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2006, 03:22:19 PM »
Cal:

You should be able to pick up a nice Bell 407 for $2 million and change.   8)

http://www.controller.com/listings/forsale/list.asp?catid=7&man=BELL&mdl=407&guid=7FC8455B207E45BFA20A99682E222408
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline willow

« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2006, 03:23:02 PM »
 I don't have one since we retired to our "safe place" (that is a cabin in the mountains).  I do have that provisioned to be self sufficient for a long while.
 An interesting site for this sort of thing is AR15.com.  Go to the General category and then to Survival.  All kinds of related threads.

Offline Calvin Cooledge

• Expert
Happy Wife; Happy Life...
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2006, 03:50:58 PM »
Thanks, Richard! Found a real cute '97 for just under two mil.
Why, that's less than my wife makes in a week;^)

Whatever happened to flying cars?

Cal

Cal:

You should be able to pick up a nice Bell 407 for $2 million and change.   8)

http://www.controller.com/listings/forsale/list.asp?catid=7&man=BELL&mdl=407&guid=7FC8455B207E45BFA20A99682E222408

RA_Bakken

« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2006, 06:14:28 PM »
As for the big honkin' knife, you should all look at the knife that famed survival expert Tom Brown Jr. made.  It's called the Tracker.  You can find it on a web search.  It's truly impressive!  A one-stop shop for outdoor / survival needs.  

Did I mention the fact that this thing is BIG HONKIN'?

Offline riffraff

• Master
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2006, 06:52:49 PM »
Calvin Cooledge,

How do you recomend us old people with perscriptions get enough extra to put in a BOB??

Also I think it would be very important to have some decent pain meds in a BOB, something like Demerol.  How would you go about getting that with your name on the bottle so it would be legal?

Mike
NRA Benefactor Member
FCSA Life Member

Offline Calvin Cooledge

• Expert
"It would be wrong, that's for sure..."
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2006, 07:27:37 PM »
This is a touchy subject, since some meds, of course, are controlled substances, and not available without prescription. Next time you are at the doctor's office, ask him to write a script for, say, 5 Percodan. He'll probably refuse, but it's worth a try. Tell him what it's for, and you'll be glad to bring them in for him to see that you ain't using! ("You ain't using" is a colloquialism, not used since the 60's;*) I saved a few pain pills from my last surgery. My suggestion to you all (ya'll in the South), is to pack some booze, preferably with a high proof, for pain relief.

One tactic you could use to build up a supply of regular meds is to have your prescriptions refilled a few days earlier than the next fill date. Do that for a few months in a row and you'll start building a decent supply.
Another technique is to have your doctor prescribe your medicine in twice the dose, and have you split the pills in half. It cost Big Pharma no more to make a 40mg tab than a 20mg tab.  

One thing of interest to me is having iodine tabs for BOB. Anyone know how you obtain that?

Now, I AM NOT RECOMMENDING ANYONE BREAK ANY LAWS! As Ol' Tricky Dick Nixon would have said "It would be wrong, that's for sure..."
YMMV!

Cal
Calvin Cooledge,

How do you recomend us old people with perscriptions get enough extra to put in a BOB??

Also I think it would be very important to have some decent pain meds in a BOB, something like Demerol.  How would you go about getting that with your name on the bottle so it would be legal?

Mike

RA_Bakken

« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2006, 12:29:34 AM »
I'm lucky on the meds side, as I have several docs I know who understand that it's a dangerous world.  However, if you travel overseas, or do any remote camping or trekking, you really DO need some serious travel meds.  Perhaps you could try this route w/ a doc?  When you're takin' a trip, make it sound kinda epic!  :-)

Also, I run some outings for some folks once in awhile, and always want to have some emergency meds on hand in case their is some injury or problem when I'm not too close to a doc.  In this way, I get some pain meds, some serious nausea meds, and an Epi Pen (adrenaline injector for those who can die when stung by bees, etc.).

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2006, 01:10:04 AM »
You can get the "serious" travel meds pretty simply when you get your innoculations -- just have to find a tropical diseases/travel medicine clinic -- Baylor has a really good one in Houston, primarily for going to Africa.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline dfsutton

• Sharpshooter
  • US Veteran
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2006, 03:30:39 AM »
I think I might have all of you beaten...

I just came back from the Middle East after being attached to the Army. Well, I managed not to turn in a Combat life Saver bag. It is quite splendid.

It contains:
IV syringes
IV Solution
rubber gloves
band aids
several Field Dressings
rubber tourniquet tubings
Iodine and alcohol swabs
micropore tape
trauma shears
Ace bandages
Sam II Combat Splint
5 Atro-pen injectors(for Nerve Agent or Insecticide poisoning)

I fortunately just got my anthrax and small pox vaccinations before I got out. Now unfortunately, the Atro-pens expire in December 2008, but until that point even nerve agents won't get me and the 2 biggest bilological agents aren't a great threat.

Combine that with the level IV body armor plates I keep tucked away, and I'm prepared for mass chaos. Hopefully that'll never come though.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2006, 03:32:30 AM by dfsutton »
"All that is thought should not be said, all that is said should not be written, all that is written should not be published, all that is published should not be read."

- Rabbi Menachem Morgenstern

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2006, 09:54:01 AM »
David, that will not happen in New Mexico? ???
Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus