Author Topic: Any watch fanatics out there?  (Read 7556 times)

Offline andyzx6r

Re: Any watch fanatics out there?
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2008, 02:50:27 PM »
Unfortunately when the neighborhood juveniles don't think and do something like that they are very easily shot and killed.  Criminals are one thing and juveniles are another.  It is very hard for someone like myself to tell the difference when they are breaking into your home and can very well could get killed.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2008, 07:05:37 PM »
I recall once coming home from an overseas trip back in the summer of 1983 when my family was vacationing with friends at the beach.  Being alone in the house, I left the bedroom door open to the screened-in rear deck, locking only the patio door from the inside. Later that night I was awakened by some unusual sounds in the back yard. Looking at my watch -- the Rolex previously mentioned [note the studious effort to stay on topic  ;)] -- and seeing that it was 1:00 a.m., I slipped on my trousers and picked up a high-powered flashlight and a loaded Walther PPK from the nightstand. I then silently eased around the door of the bedroom in the dark onto the back porch. There I could make out the silouhettes of two males busily attempting to "jimmy" the latch on the porch door.

I still recall with clarity what happened next. Disengaging the safety of the PPK, I activated the flashlight, momentarily blinding the two individuals busily engaged in their attempt at "breaking and entering," and said in a low but distinct voice, "Gentlemen, you are very close to being shot."

The two individuals both froze in place, obviously terrified -- and then I recognized them. They were two of my son's teenage friends who had assumed that the house was empty and that it wouldn't cause too much of a problem if they used the place for some late night "refreshments."

I told the two boys that they were fortunate not to have been hurt, that they should run along with whatever legitimate business they might have, and that they should never try to pull such a stunt again. I also decided that I wouldn't make an issue of the matter and wouldn't even mention it to anyone. Apparently, however, at least one of the boys learned something from the experience. The next morning, I received a call from his father who said, "I just wanted to call and thank you for not shooting my stupid son last night."
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2008, 02:01:17 AM »
I'd keep an eye on any deficient neighborhood children -- one of my neighbor's kids has a substance problem. (apparently -- he told the police he was drunk, but he seemed to have a bit too much energy for that -- tried to smash his way into multiple houses spread out over a couple miles.)  Frankly, we've had more incidents at that house in a nice subdivision, than I did in a gentrifying* neighborhood in Houston...

*It was a nice neighborhood when the WWII/Korea vets that I had for neighbors moved there, and it was a couple blocks away from very nice neighborhoods, but you could see what was either a crack house, or gang house, from the front porch...  Admittedly, in the subdivision, I don't feel the need to sit up w. a dog and a shotgun when the power goes out...
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2008, 02:02:27 AM »
To keep it watch related... I always wore my Rolex Submariner my father gave me in those neighborhoods.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline marco

« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2008, 09:46:38 PM »
Hey Guys,

Major Panerai fan here!  Bought my first in 1999.  Now own five.  Best watches I ever had including my IWCs.  Anyone watch Grey's Anatomy?  Mark Sloan played by Eric Dane had a watch on last Thursday (finale) that I loved.  Been trying to find out the make since then without luck.  Any help?

Marco
« Last Edit: May 24, 2008, 09:47:30 PM by marco »