Author Topic: Report on Arrest of Accused Internet Scammer  (Read 2545 times)

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline hedrok

• Expert
Re: Report on Arrest of Accused Internet Scammer
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 06:02:38 PM »
I feel like I've been very lucky so far.  Many transactions over the net and have only met with success and very nice people.

But...I will start being a LOT more careful than I've been in the past.  "Luck" is a fickle lady, at best.

Offline coyote

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 06:39:39 PM »

while reading that article i was reminded that a while back i looked at a firearm that was for sale on-line being sold by a company called "PCH Traders", but something about the whole presentation didn't strike me as right, so i let it slide.

funny to read at the bottom of that piece that i lucked out - that was one of his fake names!

if it isn't a rohrbaugh, its too darn big

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 07:33:57 PM »
I was trying to close two deals at once, once,while trying to tie up loose ends minutes before leaving for a 10 day family vacation - Madhouse!

I switched checks on the two deals.  Guy #1 got way too much money and the note was obvious that it was not for his product.
Guy #2 called me up and told me there was a mix up.

Guy # 1 kept the money, and then turned me into AuctionArms as a deadbeat and got me permantly banned.

Many phone calls and letters to Guy #1 went unanswered.

They ARE out there.
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 08:14:27 PM »
Interesting report:

http://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/internet-scammer-paul-webster-caught-anti-fraud-tips-from-gunsamerica

Very interesting report, for sure!  Thanks.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Recluse

• Expert
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 02:06:34 AM »
Wow.

The only firearm I have purchased over the internet is my R9, after

a) being unable to find one locally, and

b) seeing what great feedback Tom "The Irish Guard" has.

Kinda scary sending money through cyberspace....

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2011, 11:29:59 AM »
I have purchased a couple of dozen guns and have been fortunate that all have gone smooth. :D
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2011, 03:07:12 PM »
I have purchased a few, the Rossi Ranch Hand, two new Seecamp .380's and others and mine has gone smoothly as well.  No problems.  I did follow up each with a phone call.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline coyote

• Expert
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2011, 03:19:19 PM »

i've been buying/selling/trading knives and flashlights (and purchasing used firearms) on-line for ten years and have never been burned.

just be careful: look to long-standing knowledgeable members, good open communication, intelligent in-depth descriptions, good photographs, and positive comments posted by happy previous buyers who helped them establish a proven track record.

and if it doesn't feel right, don't do it just 'cause you want it. there are always more fun things coming up.  ;D

if it isn't a rohrbaugh, its too darn big

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2011, 11:24:28 PM »
I've probably bought between 80-100 guns over the internet and had just that one total burn.

I can only think of three other deals where the guns were not as described, i.e., they were much worse.  
Usually they are better than described.
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE