Author Topic: Weapon? or Gun?  (Read 6373 times)

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
Re: Weapon? or Gun?
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2011, 11:06:31 PM »
Not meant to be negative; just answering some yes or no questions!     ;D  
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 09:38:06 PM by kjtrains »
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2011, 11:20:53 PM »

Come on, Colonel Hackworth, why keep us in the dark?

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2011, 11:29:50 PM »
OOK.  It's the new M107A1.    :)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 09:23:51 PM by kjtrains »
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2011, 11:37:57 PM »
   If you were a Politician you would say I'm looking into it as a possible future purchase.  And that would mean no way in hell am I going to buy one, but doesn't have the negative tone of nope & nope.   ;D ;D
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2011, 11:48:05 PM »
No negative tones whatsoever; smiley faced winks and all;   ;)  And the nopes were answers to the questions about what the weapons were, which are nope; and correct answers.  In fact, that's the only way they could be answered.  Again, nothing negative about it.  Sorry you're taking it that way!    :)    

« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 05:44:10 AM by kjtrains »

Offline Chief-USN

• Grand Master
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2011, 03:27:44 PM »
 Man, this thread has gone all to hell .....    ;D

Chief
Allen
Retired Navy (1969-1992)
Viet Nam Vet
Desert Storm Vet
Lifetime NRA Member

Veteran " Freedom isn't free, I Paid for it"

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2011, 03:48:55 PM »
Yep!  Sorry about that!    :(

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2011, 05:24:24 PM »
I do agree with ya'lls definitions of "weapons", that's for sure. ;D
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline hedrok

• Expert
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2011, 12:03:46 PM »
I hate to bring things back from dreamland...but, last year, as I was going thru  the NRA Instructors' Training, it was mentioned that we should NEVER use "weapon" to describe a gun.  Use "firearm"... as was said earlier.  

Strictly political correctness, I'm sure.  Can't offend anyone, you know.

"he who dares not offend, cannot tell the truth."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline sslater

• Master
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2011, 10:13:22 PM »
In my state, a concealed carry permit is called a CPL -    Concealed Pistol License.  My CPL instructor - a former police officer, stressed that you never shoot to kill.  You shoot to stop the threat.  

I guess I'm saying that the way we use words is important.  There are a lot of lawyers out there who make a hell of a good living parsing words!  
"Deadly weapon" sounds a hell of a lot more threatening than "pistol", or "firearm" when we're all sitting in a circle singing Kumbaya.  Whether its a deadly weapon or a pistol, it can be used for evil or good purposes.    

Steve

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2011, 10:33:52 PM »
Good points to last two posts indeed.

Here in Texas, our Concealed Carry is called a CHL, for "Concealed Handgun License".

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2011, 10:35:46 PM »

Now go figure. The state license permit wording is all over the map on this: weapon, pistol, handgun, etc.. Does it really matter what you call it as long as you are within your state confines?

The states give different terms for licenses or permits to carry a concealed firearm, such as a Concealed Handgun License/Permit (CHL/CHP), Concealed (Defensive/Deadly) Weapon Permit/License (CDWL/CWP/CWL), Concealed Carry Permit/License (CCP/CCL), License To Carry (Firearms) (LTC/LTCF), Carry of Concealed Deadly Weapon license (CCDW), Concealed Pistol License (CPL), etc. Thirteen states use a single permit to regulate the practices of both concealed and open carry of a handgun.

Offline hedrok

• Expert
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2011, 11:02:30 PM »
It would be nice if everyone got on the same page with the wording...but that will never happen because each state has their respective laws worded in such a way as to create a nightmare to make sure all were changed.  
When I applied for my CCW (concealed carry weapon) permit, I accidentally left my defensive knife training certificate with my firearms training paperwork. When I was called to come in and pick up my CCW card, TWO county sheriffs' deputies interviewed me to be sure that I was  intending to carry a concealed firearm and specifically NOT a knife.  One was a witness for the other.

Let's see...I practiced drawing from concealment hitting an 8" steel plate anywhere from 7 feet to 20 yards away with single, double and triple hits.  I can carry any caliber I can conceal and I am not allowed to carry a defensive knife.

To this day, I do not understand that logic.  This happened in Ohio in 2005.
 ???   ???  ???

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2011, 11:03:23 PM »
Being that lawyers (word doctors) and some being liberal cave ins, write up and or name these licenses, maybe some purposely throw the terms "deadly" and "weapons' in there.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2011, 11:26:09 PM »
For example, if I were cruising down the N.J. Turnpike around beautiful downtown Bayonne and were stopped for speeding by one of "the states" I don't think it would be wise to announce proudly that I had a CCDW from another colony.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 11:33:17 PM by tracker »