Author Topic: Best 9mm To Carry  (Read 11525 times)

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
Re: Best 9mm To Carry
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2015, 10:21:47 AM »
Which 9mm to carry?

Carry the one you can shoot the best and fits into a method of concealment you are comfortable with. 

This does not always mean to carry the smallest most easy to conceal!

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2015, 09:18:20 PM »
So what did you decide on cargarittavile?
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2015, 10:17:48 PM »
I've decided not to decide...for now. I'm carrying my new FNS 9 Compact & my new Sig 1911 Ultra. I love these 2 guns. I wish they were a bit smaller, but...
Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone!

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2015, 11:29:05 PM »
Ya know my father in law is an older car guy (60) and he can't stand anything but a 1911. He is set that's the only gun worthy of carry. Plastic guns don't have any class or craftsmanship. I can't blame him. His pops (still alive) carried one in a tank in WWII and he grew up hearing stories from his dad and uncles about the reputed fame of the 1911.

There seems to be ALOT that goes into the decision of what one carries and why.

Edit: oh I forgot to mention that he does not carry. If he did it would possibly be a 3" or a 938/238. I mention this because if he did carry he may open his mind to different options. He is more of a range kind of guy.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 04:57:24 PM by JoshA »
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2015, 12:08:56 PM »
Must read IMO

It's by Massad Ayoob in regards to debunking 7 myths surrounding gun fight.

http://www.personaldefenseworld.com/2014/10/5-gunfighting-myths-debunked-massad-ayoob/#armed-and-ready

John Stuart Mill

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2015, 04:21:28 PM »
Love reading Ayoob's stuff.  Note, however, that most of these were LEO gunfights, often with shotguns.  Hickock could have stepped behind a building and walked away.  The average JQ citizen is highly unlikely to require 40 rounds (would likely be long dead), or have run away, or have never been placed in danger.  Also note the reference to a pelvis shot, something I have discussed in another thread...a good way to put someone on the ground, but he then must be finished or you must seek cover or run.  It's sort of the Law of Diminishing Returns...no one of us is likely to run into someone toting a .223 and two pistols.  If we do, a .45 and two extra mags is not likely be ultimately any more effective than a 7 shot 9mm and I would just feel really silly with an AR under my raincoat all day.  I carry larger and carry extra on occasion, but only when I'm feeling fey, or when circumstances suggest increased risk.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2015, 04:54:49 PM »
In typical Backup9 fashion, that was very well put. I wholeheartedly agree. I also, don't see the need for packing as if I were an officer of agent. I don't even carry a back up pistol 99.9% of the time and unless I'm carrying a single stack 9 I don't carry a spare mag.

That being the case I did find a lot of the article interesting and insightful.

Thought provoking comment Backup9. Thanks.

John Stuart Mill

Offline the_skunk

• Expert
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2015, 01:46:25 AM »
The best 9mm depend on how you carry. If it's a pocket carry, than its a mini. If it's a car carry, then I would go with a 1911. If I was a clerk at a 711, I want a 28 shot RIA. As you move out of the pocket guns, then single actios become the ticket

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2015, 08:42:07 AM »
I like my H&K USPC in .40 as my car gun.  13 rounds, safety/decocker with single/double action and a second 12 round mag.  It has practically no recoil and never fails with any decent ammo.  Sadly, if I fired it in the car I'd likely have some significant hearing damage but not as bad as the sharp "crack" of a 9mm...worth it I guess.  It wears a Streamlight strobe and doubles as my bedside gun...useful primarily if I don't have time to reach the 12 gauge leaning behind the headboard.  I do believe in heavy "artillery" in situations where ability to retreat is limited and avoidance impossible.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2015, 09:10:55 AM »
Does anyone here think that the Sig P938 9mm is the most similar to the R9? (weight, caliber, build quality? ).
Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone!

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2015, 12:14:16 PM »
I own a 938 and its an ok pistol IMO.

I do not see how it compares to an R9 except in size.

For me it boils down to:

2) cool factor (totally opinion)
3) reliability (however mine suffers an occasional light strike which is due to its hammer design likely)
4) nice backup if you carry a 1911 platform
5) single action trigger
6) decent sights and accuracy
7) decent recoil management for a small package

Disses
1) single action trigger system makes for a poor pocket carry TO ME
2) single action is STIFF
3) hammer design develops some light strikes ON MINE
4) it has a safety which MUST be used IMO
5) the market is flooded with them (may not be a bad thing)
6) slightly too big for pocket carry TO ME

In final:
It's a good little gun, but gets no holster time for me. Too big for pocket, and I'm not a 1911 platform kind of guy and that's the bottom line more than anything probably.

One other concern that I'm not totally convinced is correct is that under the safety seems to be a nylon or plastic piece. Not big on plastic working parts. Maybe psychological. Maybe incorrect.

Just one guys opinion. I would like to someone else's take on it good, bad or indifferent.

If you look at the 290 R take a pass IMO. Too thick. Bad LONG trigger IMO. $.02 worth. Maybe less.

John Stuart Mill

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2015, 12:23:32 PM »
http://www.gunsinternational.com/Kimber-Solo-Carry-DC-9mm-PARA.cfm?gun_id=100524598

This is where I would be putting my $ if I didn't have one. In fact, I'm actually tempted to buy this one. Please someone else buy it so I'm not tempted. Lol.

John Stuart Mill

Online tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2015, 12:37:11 PM »

Very nice, Josh, but I think I would pay a little more and buy a new one.

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2015, 02:18:56 PM »

Very nice, Josh, but I think I would pay a little more and buy a new one.

That's probably why I keep ending up with guns with issues. I'm buying someone else's issues. Good call Tracker.

John Stuart Mill

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2015, 03:15:43 PM »
There may be a couple of small "pocket" nines that are out there right now,but IMO they don't come close to the Pup..
I have my carry Pup in my front pocket everyday.I have done so for ten or so years now.
Before that I had a Seecamp occupying that spot! So you can see that I value something that can be with me everyday!

I also carry IWB,or strongside carry also,normally with a 9mm or .45 cal. but I ALWAYS have the Pup in the pocket.

I haven't 'found" anything else that matches the Rohrbaugh in caliber,size,quality,effiency and just pure sexiness!!

There have been a whole lot of small 9s brought out in the last couple of years but even the "plastic" guns don't ride in the pocket like my pocket rocket..

My Pup has been nothing but great;I wouldn't depend upon it to help protect my family if it wasn't..

I do not like the idea of the Rohrbaugh being dropped from production,but I don't plan on dropping it from use in my repertoire.

I just don't see anything else out there that matches the Pup for what I need in a self defense weapon..
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe