Author Topic: Starting to get braver  (Read 12875 times)

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
Re: Starting to get braver
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2006, 11:28:48 PM »
Dave, that is a beautiful pistol you have.  I like those wood grips.

Mine is a Custom Stainless Target II.  I added Goncalo Alves wood grips from Hogue.

The serrations are somewhat smooth on the end, but do disturb the holster too much for my liking.

It's no big deal if the sewing does not break.   That should be unlikely.

Bill

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Re: Starting to get braverserration
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2006, 10:17:51 AM »
I don't like those serrations near the Kimber muzzle.  They are pretty tough on the holster.  Time for the file to come out.

Bill:

The thought of taking a file to that beautiful Kimber hurts me to contemplate it!  If you would like to have it "melted," one of the better custom shops has the equipment to do that.  Just be careful that you don't ruin a beautiful $1,000 pistol for the sake of a beautiful $100 holster.  Besides, after the pistol has "made its mark" on the holster, you can maintain the holster with quality dye and wax.  (I prefer Fiebing's Dye and Renaissance Wax for the purpose.)

As for C&L carry, another source of comfort is that your Kimber is equipped with a high-rise beavertail grip safety which provides an entirely separate level of security.    
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2006, 10:34:29 AM »
Thanks, Richard.

I just received a melting estimate for $60.00, which includes return shipping.  I'm thinking of staying put for a while, and see if the wear has stablized.

Money doesn't grow on trees, you know.    :D

Good point about the high-rise beavertail grip safety.  Obviously, the grip safety is absolutely critical, but I had not considered the merits of the beavertail business.

Do you understand how it improves safety?

Actually, I looked it up on a 1911 forum where they said:

Increases the area over which recoil is spread which reduces the pounding of the web of your hand; eliminates hammer bite, and allows you to get a higher grip on the gun without being bit by the slide. Also provides for a more consistent grip, resulting in greater accuracy.

Bill  

« Last Edit: August 29, 2006, 10:53:06 AM by Michigunner »

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2006, 10:40:50 AM »
I should also mention that my Variant 1 HK USP Compact .45  can be carried "cocked and locked".

One big problem.  It does not have a grip safety.  So I wonder if many people actually carry that way.

I have not carried it cocked, but do prefer the single-action trigger.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2006, 10:48:49 AM by Michigunner »

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2006, 11:48:59 AM »
Bill:

The beavertail is just to prevent the slide from cutting the shooter's hand during firing.  (Some of the older Walthers were notorious for "biting the hands that fed them.")  As for the two external safeties on your Kimber, until they are disengaged, the thumb safety blocks movement of the slide and the sear while the grip safety blocks movement of the trigger.  The combination of the two combined with the internal safety mechanisms (disconnector, hammer safety stop, inertia firing pin, and integral firing pin block) makes for an extremely safe and reliable weapon.  

Some 1911-type pistols, such as the Browning HP and the Colt Mustang, do not have grip safeties.  While some people carry such weapons "cocked and locked," I personally choose not to do so.  For me, a grip safety is essential for carrying a single-action pistol in Condition One.  It's just the way I was trained by a grizzled old sergeant many years ago.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2006, 11:59:42 AM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline GAPhatty

« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2006, 08:09:08 PM »
Hi All:

New around here, although I've lurked for a while; trying to decide if the Pup is the right carry weapon for me.  Currently carry a KT P3-AT when size is critical or a Kimber Utra Carry II when possible.

I put a few miles on the motorcycle when I can, and somethig small is critical in that case.  The KT has been reliable thus far, but a .380 of any make leaves me less than confident.

I'm learning a lot about Rohrbaugh's offerings from this knowledgeable group, and like the idea of a quality firearm that should last for years with a little TLC.  Thanks to you all!

Currently have a Kimber Ultra RCP (Refined Carry Pistol) that has a factory melt job, shortened beavertail, a sight channel in place of standard sights and several other features designed to enhance carry.  I'll post a picture when it arrives in a couple of weeks.

Anyway - wanted to introduce myself and thank you all for what I've already learned!

Greg

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2006, 08:54:23 PM »
Greg:

Welcome!  Glad to have you claim your seat at the campfire.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2006, 08:57:03 PM »
Greg, welcome to the forum.
tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2006, 09:55:57 PM »
Welcome Greg - join in often.
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away..."

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2006, 10:25:56 PM »
Hi Greg and welcome - hope you have had a chance to browse broadly - as there is much to glean.

Also if not done - peruse my FAQ site (url in sig line) - which will cover quite a bit too.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline GAPhatty

« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2006, 11:50:47 AM »
Thanks for the welcome guys - I think I've explored every nook and cranny of the site; the enthusiasm expressed in these pages for the R9 is certainly compelling even with the relatively high price of these guns.

I'm currently trying to decide between three guns with different characteristics:

Kel-Tec PF9; not available yet, but based on the P11 and P3-AT so likely to be a reliable weapon after breakin

Kahr PM9 - higher quality standards generally than the Kel-Tecs but have heard some issues with the PM9 and PM40s.

R9 - high quality, but maybe some durability questions in my mind due to tight tolerances, etc.  And of course highest prices of the lot.

Any words of wisdom?

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2006, 12:52:56 PM »
Greg:

Of the three, I would say your choice should depend on the purpose for which you will be using the gun.  If you will be wanting a pistol to use for frequent and prolonged practice sessions at the range, the Khar PM9 has a great trigger and should be good for as many rounds as you want to expend.  If you will be wanting a personal defense weapon capable of deep concealment, either the PF9 or the R9 would fill that role.  As for price, the PF9 will go for a little over $300 while the R9 will be about three times that much.  Do you want a Ford or a Ferrari?   ;)
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2006, 02:38:58 PM »
Greg,

Welcome to the forum.  Please come back often.

I enjoyed my Kahr PM9, but think it is too large for normal pocket carry.  It just stuck out like a sore thumb and was heavy, too.

I ended up carrying it in an Ex Companion from Milt Sparks.  However, if it were to do over again, I would use a belt holster instead, either the 55BN or 60TK.

I also had  P3AT and R9S.  They both worked perfectly for me.

Bill

Offline riffraff

• Master
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2006, 06:36:37 PM »
Greg,  

I owned a Kahr K9 along time ago and thought the trigger was abismal, anyway the other down side to the Kahr(in my opinion) is due to it's construction IF you were to get a failure to fire on the round in the chamber for whatever reason you would have to rack the slide and insert a new round in order to reset the fireing pin.  You can't do multiple strikes on the same chambered round.  This may be nitpicky but it was one of the reasons I traded mine off.  I think this is not a good trait in a gun that your life may depend on.  This downside can also be attributed to all single actions except you could recock the hammer on a single action but it would be just as fast to rack the slide unless of course you did not have BOTH HANDS FREE to use at the time.

My opinions only,  Mike
NRA Benefactor Member
FCSA Life Member

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2006, 06:56:02 PM »
Greg,

Another option is Kel-Tec which will have their new PF-9 9mm out anytime now.

The Kel-Tec forum people will be discussing the reliability, I'm sure.

Of course, it would not be in the same league as the R9.

Bill