Author Topic: The Big Easy  (Read 7576 times)

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
The Big Easy
« on: September 02, 2005, 12:27:11 PM »
I have been trying to put my thoughts together on the plight of the poor in New Orleans but found them here ,already written down

http://smith-wessonforum.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/500103904/m/445104727
RJ=

Offline kerrynp5

Re: The Big Easy
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2005, 03:46:41 PM »
R.J.,that really does bring clarity. I wish everyone would read this.
Kerry

Offline sslater

• Master
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2005, 05:15:46 PM »
RJ & Kerry,
I just followed your link to the S&W forum.  Right on the button.
Trouble is, the people who NEED to read cxm's observation wouldn't be caught dead surfing a gun-oriented web site.
That's the real shame of it all....

Offline flyandscuba

• Master
  • Ivan, Dennis, and Katrina - enough is enough!
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2005, 06:09:07 PM »
Makes you think more about checking out your SHTF kit -- including a nice battle rifle or shotgun...

We were hit here hard in Florida by storms less than a year ago -- but widespread looting did not occur.  I did, however, sleep the first few nights in a recliner with the Winchester Defender across my lap...

Katrina was bad for New Orleans (but worse for coastal Mississippi), the flooding from levy breaks was bad too.  But the worst part of the New Orleans situation is the people themselves -- and their actions, reactions, decisions, values, etc.  My concern is that this "problem" is being bused to Houston and other areas.  It will be interesting to see what develops in those locations in the coming weeks.

I watched in amazement as one of these fine upstanding citizens complained in an interview of the taste/quality/etc. of the MRE she was given to eat.  Maybe she would prefer to venture back into the flooded streets and see if she can find something more pleasing to eat.

I'm not sorry that they were not shipped over to Florida...but have inspected my SHTF kit just in case!
« Last Edit: September 02, 2005, 06:11:31 PM by flyandscuba »
I'm not a gun expert -- but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night...

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2005, 07:31:51 PM »
Makes you think more about checking out your SHTF kit -- including a nice battle rifle or shotgun...

We were hit here hard in Florida by storms less than a year ago -- but widespread looting did not occur.  I did, however, sleep the first few nights in a recliner with the Winchester Defender across my lap...

Fly:

I like your sense of style!  A 12-guage stainless-steel Winchester 1300 Marine Defender equipped with folding stock, pistol grip, side saddle, tac light, laser sight, and loaded with 00 buck shot with rifled slugs along side is the rock foundation of my personal SHTF kit.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline sslater

• Master
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2005, 08:42:36 PM »
Richard S,  If I ever visit you, I'll be sure to knock and politely announce myself before trying the doorknob!!
What does one keep in a SHTF kit?  I had a little bugout bag
but took it apart last time I moved and have been thinking about building a serious kit.  My Winchester Defender 1300 is stock, but still very comforting to have at hand.  
One thing I did learn a couple of years ago when the power grid blew out in the Northeast / Midwest / Ontario.  Having drinking water ain't enough when everything stops.  The toilets don't flush after the first time.  I bought a toilet seat for a 5 gallon bucket at Cabela's, a box of small garbage bags, and a 10 pound bag of kitty litter.  That bit of gear would the first thing to go into the SUV.

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2005, 08:55:23 PM »
Speaking of that, the animals that lived in the Super Dome could not even clean up their mess. The crowd at a game there is much larger and don't make any kind of that mess. And none of them helped any one else or anything human like.

Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline flyandscuba

• Master
  • Ivan, Dennis, and Katrina - enough is enough!
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2005, 09:30:29 PM »
I just watched Geraldo interview the N.O. Police "Superintendant" in front of the Convention Center...

Being trained to dig for the "root cause" in my profession, I think I have found it -- the New Orleans City Mayor and the loser in the position of Police "Superintendant".  Clearly, the "flight" of educated, reasoning, responsible public servants to the north shore of Lake Ponchatrain over the last decade has created a "brain drain" in the pool of public officials within the city limits.

These two guys are obviously ill prepared for the tasks and responsibilities of the offices they occupy.  A body in a neat looking jumpsuit with 4 gold stars sewn on his shoulders does not make a police chief... ::)
I'm not a gun expert -- but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night...

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2005, 10:57:33 PM »
What does one keep in a SHTF kit?  I had a little bugout bag but took it apart last time I moved and have been thinking about building a serious kit.  My Winchester Defender 1300 is stock, but still very comforting to have at hand.  
One thing I did learn a couple of years ago when the power grid blew out in the Northeast / Midwest / Ontario.  Having drinking water ain't enough when everything stops.  

As an old Army type, the primary source I use in compiling and maintaining my personal "SHTF" kit is the U.S. Army Survival Manual FM 21-76.  Much of the kit's contents, of course, will depend on the environment in which one is living when "the proverbial dreck comes into contact with the revolving blades."  You can find the Army Manual at the following site: http://www.equipped.com/fm21-76.htm

To the Manual's list, I always include a lighter and magnifying glass (for starting fires), a roll of heavy twine, a pair of binoculars, a knife sharpener, Super Glue (for sealing flesh wounds), a high-end multitool (Leatherman or Gerber), plastic bags (large and small), and a basic gun-cleaning kit.    

Chapter 3 of the Manual advises including a weapon or weapons and the required ammunition only if the mission (situation) dictates.  In my considered opinion, all "SHTF" situations so dictate.  My weapons of choice in those situations are the following five, ranked in the order in which they would probably be used in the event of an Alamo-type stand against "barbarians at the gate":  

(1)  Winchester 1300 Marine Defender 12-guage;

(2)  Israeli Industries/Magnum Research Desert Eagle .50 AE;

(3)  Colt 1911 (1991A1) .45 ACP;

(4)  Rohrbaugh R9s 9mm Luger;

(5)  North American Arms Guardian .380 ACP.

It's a lot to tote around, but I have it all ready to go on five minutes notice.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline sslater

• Master
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2005, 11:26:04 PM »
Richard S;
Thanks for the quick response.  I'll get busy putting a kit together.  Already have the Winchester 1300, R9S, & Guardian, but I don't have a 1911 or a Desert Eagle, so I'll have to make do with a couple of my .40 S&W pieces.  You definitely have enough firepower in your SHTF battery to break the fan blades!!

Steve S.  

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2005, 12:06:31 AM »
Richard - I want to be in your team!! :)

My bug-out ain't bad but I think you have a good handle on all that.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2005, 03:10:15 AM »
I forgo the Desert Eagle -- had one of those in 44 mag, and never was happy w. it -- and include my AK, with 1k of ammo...  Of course, my most likely problem is wild hogs... according to the sherrif, the second most likely is "narcotics toting smugglers" -- hence the 1k of JHP.

Brad -- also concerned about the effect on Houston, but that might be mitigated by TX's pro-CCW/self-defense stance
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline Newt

• Master
  • NRA Benefactor Member & Cert. Pistol Instructor
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2005, 09:52:24 AM »
 ::)+1 on the battle rifle,AK or AR with multiple hicaps. The shot gun is the best, mine is a Rem. marine magnum w/ext.,Streamlite,#4 buck,and reloads on the stock. :o I spent my money on these things instead of crack,cigarettes,lottery tickets& cell phones. :P
No matter how you struggle and strive, you will never get out of this world alive.

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2005, 10:59:14 AM »
Can you carry all that day after day?  Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
w can you spend thay much moneyRe: The Big Easy
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2005, 11:19:37 AM »
" I spent my money on these things instead of crack,cigarettes,lottery tickets& cell phones.  " Newt

AMEN.       I have some folks ask me , "How can you justify that much money for a pistol? "    And I recall the new Drapes they had custom designed for the windows of a Living room nobody even goes in to sit down.  ::)  Do you know what those drapes will do for you ?  Or how much could you get for them in a time of need ?

My bug out bag has an old Remington 870 pump, cut to 18 1/4" w/ extended mag tube and Ram Line Stock. Plenty of 00 low recoil  and  a Marlin Camp Nine that share 15 rd S&W Mags with my S&W 6906.

Yeah, I'm BAD !  ;D
RJ=