Author Topic: Florida billed as "shoot first" state  (Read 7579 times)

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
Florida billed as "shoot first" state
« on: September 29, 2005, 10:01:48 AM »
Check out this article in my local paper about the new Brady campaign against Florida:

http://www.sptimes.com/2005/09/29/State/The_shoot_first_state.shtml

And, to view the ravings of these lunatics for yourself, visit their website at:

http://www.shootfirstlaw.org./

This is an OUTRAGEOUS mis-characterization of Florida's new self-defense law and a vicious attack on Florida's tourist economy.  

I plan to give these people a piece of my mind, and to write Jeb Bush and congratulate him on his efforts.  To my friends here in Florida, I urge you to do the same.  To our friends outside of Florida -- this is important to you too.  Similar laws are pending elsewhere and this kind of reckless mis-information hurts the cause for lawful concealed carry and self-defense.

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Re: Florida billed as "shoot first" stat
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2005, 10:21:58 AM »
Count me in, Duane.  These devious, simpering, limp-wristed, hot-house pansies give me a royal pain in the backside.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2005, 10:46:52 AM »
Count me in, too.

We are constantly burdened with the threat of legal action and loss of our savings, even to the extent that some of us may end up murdered.

You almost have  to have a killer walking down a line  of people and stabbing each person.  Then, just before he gets to you, shoot him.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2005, 12:00:45 PM »
Duane:

I have sent the following e-mail message to press@shootfirstlaw.org:

Your current advertising campaign on Florida's recently enacted "Stand Your Ground" statute is totally misguided, blatantly misleading, and literally insulting.

It won't do a bit of good, but at least I felt better after having sent it.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2005, 12:31:41 PM »
Richard,

Of course you are right, it probably won't help.  Here is my e-mail to them:

Dear Brady Campaign (www.shootfirstlaw.org),

Your characterization of Florida law is so twisted and self-serving that the propaganda you are spewing should be a crime.

Your website and press releases completely mischaracterize and misstate Florida law with the sole purpose of scaring away tourists to put pressure on the Florida government.  The political agenda behind your “warnings” to tourists and potential tourists is despicable.  This is no different than calling the elderly and telling them that George Bush is going to take away their Social Security checks.

I am sure you know that “nervous and frightened” citizens cannot start shooting tourists walking our streets.  I am sure you realize that a person has to be in legitimate fear for their life before deadly force can be used, and only then by a person who has lawful possession of a means to deliver such deadly force.  Your characterization of the law, directed to people who don’t know any better, completely overlooks these basic legal principles that are the same in Florida and in every state, and have not changed.

Law abiding tourists, even those with short tempers, have nothing to fear in Florida.  Armed and violent criminals, however, should consider going to areas where firearms are more restricted (interestingly, areas much like the ones in which you plan to concentrate your advertising), so that they can prey upon their victims with less fear of lawful self-defense.

The predictions of “old west” style violence and blood running in the streets will fall on deaf ears.  The same predictions were made when Florida passed their concealed weapon permit statute.  The same predictions where made when the federal Assault Weapon Ban sunset last year.  None of them have come true.  In fact, violent crime has declined on all levels.  But, I am sure you know that – you just hope the average American does not.

I believe that your campaign of fear-mongering and false information will seriously undermine your organization’s efforts to limit Americans’ Second Amendment rights and their right to defend themselves.  This campaign is irresponsible and insulting to the intelligence of Americans.  Shame on all of you.

I am also writing to Jeb Bush to support him and doing a letter to the editor of the St. Pete Times.

I don't normally fly off the handle, but the blatant lies and scare tactics of this campaign have incensed me.
Duane (DDGator)

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2005, 01:35:34 PM »
Well done and eloquently said, Duane!
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2005, 01:39:00 PM »
Thanks Duane for your statement. We all need to write to those self serving idiots.
Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2005, 03:06:35 PM »
That was an outstanding statement.

Thank you, Duane

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2005, 03:18:07 PM »
Daune, The St. Pete Times is very much like the New York Times, a very liberal rag that doesn't care about honestly telling the facts but says what it wants to see their agenda thru and go after the Bushs. They even like dirt bags who rape children!
Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2005, 05:29:51 PM »
Duane - kudos!!  

Good words and the logic is (to us anyways) incontravertible.

I would feel equally hot under the collar - sufficiently in fact to write some rather less than polite invective - tho I wouldn't of course.  I am too darned polite! :P
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline itguy

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2005, 06:09:42 PM »
Duane,

Very well written.  Concise and to the point!

Offline LCP

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2005, 11:29:36 PM »
The Palm Beach Post also ran an article yesterday about the upcoming  changes in the law here in Florida. It was interesting to note that they had an interview with the guy who runs the county tourist development division and what his feelings were about the law  and its affect on tourism.  He said that tourists were probably more interested in the price of a gallon of gas and price of a plane ticket then the law of self defense.

Lyle

Offline sslater

• Master
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2005, 11:53:14 PM »
Duane,
I've saved the text of your e-mail to www.shootfirstlaw.org. for future reference.
Here in Michigan, we are trying to get a law similar to Florida's thru the legislature.  I anticipate similar attacks from "those" organizations as the MI bill progresses.  

Funny thing about the "shall issue" CCW law in Michigan - violent crime has decreased, not increased as the gun -banners predicted.  That's apparently typical of the experiences of the other states which have passed "shall issue" legislation.  Our very liberal Governor Granholm, to her credit, allowed as how "Surprisingly, gun crime has not increased."  (Ms. Granholm was Attorney General of MI under a Republican governor when the "shall issue" law was passed.  She wasn't happy.)

Maybe I should start using the tag line I saw on the Sig forum,
"I love liberals, they taste like chicken!"

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2005, 01:35:39 AM »
Here is the text (slightly different from above) of my letter to the Editor of the St. Pete Times.  I will let you know if it gets printed...

I am writing in response to the September 29, 2005 article titled “The shoot first state? Ads warn about law” describing the Brady group’s newest campaign.

The Brady Campaign’s characterization of Florida law is so twisted and self-serving that the propaganda it is spewing should be a crime. The website, press releases, and flyers produced by this group completely mischaracterize and misstate Florida law, with the sole purpose of scaring away tourists to put pressure on the Florida government and Governor Bush.

The political agenda behind these “warnings” to tourists and potential tourists is despicable. This is no different than calling the elderly and telling them that George Bush is going to take away their Social Security checks.

I hope that people outside of Florida understand that “nervous and frightened” Florida citizens cannot start shooting tourists walking our streets. A person has to be in legitimate fear for their life or the life of another before deadly force can be used, and only then by a person who has lawful possession of a means to deliver such deadly force.

Law abiding tourists, even those with short tempers, have nothing to fear in Florida. Armed and violent criminals, however, should consider going to areas where firearms are more restricted, so that they can prey upon their victims with less fear of lawful self-defense.

Make no mistake that this is an attack on Florida and its main business--tourism. The Brady Campaign hopes to scare off tourists and hurt Florida’s business owners and citizens, all in the hopes of furthering their own political agenda. The “Shoot First Law” campaign of fear-mongering and false information is irresponsible, and designed to hurt Florida. Shame on them.

Duane (DDGator)

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2005, 10:52:43 AM »
"Here in Michigan, we are trying to get a law similar to Florida's thru the legislature."

Steve,

I didn't know about that.  I hope our legislators will have access to Duane's remarks.

Bill