Author Topic: Critter Creek Duckling  (Read 8252 times)

Offline sslater

• Master
Re: Critter Creek Duckling
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2009, 10:06:02 PM »
This Critter Creek stuff must be catching.  I live in Waterford, MI.  - about 30 miles north & west of Detroit.  It's suburban, but definitely not out in the sticks.  I've often seen rabbit tracks in the snow when I retrieve the morning newspaper.
But this afternoon, just before sundown, I happened to look out thru the dining room doorwall into our back yard in time to see a doe run by, followed by another, another, and a fourth.  I'm going to leave my camera on the dining room table.  

Steve

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2009, 08:26:42 AM »
Steve:

Critter Creek has become my version of Walden Pond -- where I travel much while moving little. After spending my life bouncing around the planet and spending more time than I care to remember in some places which God seemed to have forgotten, I have now stopped (literally) to enjoy my surroundings:

It sounds as if you have a little piece of paradise there of your own. Enjoy it!  
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2009, 01:35:53 PM »
Richard, It's good to see that you dropped anchor, as our friend tracker would say. Cool spot, how is that drake doing? Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2009, 07:46:05 PM »
Tom:

The drake took the hens and flew south for the winter. I expect them back around May. And the hummingbirds return in June. Until then, its just eagles, hawks, redbirds, deer, racoons, and possums. The bears have gone to den.   8)

Edit: And, of course, the neighbor's pet burros down the road still come up when we're here to mooch carrots and sugar cubes:  

:)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 07:47:16 AM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2009, 12:28:23 PM »
I'm so happy that an "old" warrior ;) has found his bit of heaven. It's time to put your feet up, refill your favorite drink, maybe light a Cuban and watch the wildlife do their thing, no I'm not talking about the judge,  :D just the rest of the animals on and around the pond.  ENJOY  Tom

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2009, 01:54:15 PM »
Tom:

In your honor, I'll break out the "18." Cheers, my friend!   8)

(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2009, 03:46:03 PM »
Richard, I'll sit and drink with you anytime. mmmmm     Tom

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2009, 12:01:47 PM »
Critter Creek Duck Update:

(1) I am told that "Quatro" has laid an egg, apparently not fertilized but an egg nonetheless.  "It" is now confirmed as a "she."  I am also informed that she now has a new duck house with private pool and that her adoptive owner is preparing to show her at the local 4-H Club fair.   ;D

(2) A pair of wood ducks were checking out the large pond at Critter Creek last weekend as if they were considering building a nest nearby. (And there I was having left my camera in the cabin.  :( )
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2009, 07:52:55 PM »
I just found this string and these are great pictures. I am not a hunter but I respect those that legally do so within parameters.

Ducks are safe with me as they are cute and they don't taste good. Chickens, by contrast, are dead meat.

My bird feeder has been over taken by a red squirrel. I have been boycotting refill for 3 days in the hope he will go away. I have had 18 species this spring including an Evening Grosbeak.

How about "Quatro Multi-Colored R9 Grips"? Anything but G10 and I'm there.

Those who turn their guns into plowshares end up plowing for those that do not - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2009, 08:58:10 PM »
ACP:

We don't have any red squirrels at Critter Creek, but grey squirrels . . . how many could you take? (No charge for shipping and handling.)   ;D

(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2009, 09:22:20 PM »
Richard,

I am a native of New Jersey where grey squirrels are plentiful. I now live in a quiet town in Vermont where red squirrels prevail and grey squirrels do not exist (or, are unseen).

My town has a population of 600 humans and 725 red squirrels. I will gladly pay shipping charges for carbon fiber grips but you may keep grey squirrels.

My ex-wife (bless her) brought me to Vermont years ago and I managed to move here after a complicated story. I love living in the country and do not miss the impossible traffic, malls and corruption of New Jersey. And, I REALLY do not miss the horrible gun laws in New Jersey.

I have to say that Critter Creek is like a warm saga, in this forum, and I urge you to keep us posted.

Those who turn their guns into plowshares end up plowing for those that do not - Thomas Jefferson

Offline RickP

• Expert
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2009, 11:09:09 AM »
Richard,

I really enjoy the pictures, and anecdotes from "Critter Creek".

Thanks,

Rick

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2009, 12:34:47 PM »
Thank you, gentlemen.

As I enter my seventh decade after a lifetime of chasing the golden ring and seeking the adrenalin rush, I have finally come to understand what Thoreau meant when he wrote:

[size=10]"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived."[/size]

I have traveled throughout the world, but never so far as I have been able to travel at that little place in the woods called "Critter Creek."

« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 02:18:26 PM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2009, 02:14:47 PM »
Well stated. I don't own a camera but enjoy the benefit of those who do.

I am proud to relate a critter story from this morning:

A wild turkey flew from the safety of a road on top of "Terrible Mountain" (near Ludlow, Vermont), onto the pavement directly in front of my truck. By careful application of horn, brakes and steering the turkey was spared to live another day.

There is a biological theory about brain size to body mass as an intelligence indicator and it is my belief that the wild turkey is elegible to run for congress. How bad of a job could he do?

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2009, 06:39:35 PM »
Richard!  Really enjoying the pictures.  Reminds me of High Falls, Ga.  where we have a place.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln