Author Topic: First time firing and...nothing!  (Read 11860 times)

Offline Woo_Woo

First time firing and...nothing!
« on: December 07, 2005, 11:10:41 PM »
Hey everyone, I know it has been a while since I have posted, but I finally made it to the range, recently.  I had an interesting experience.  

I loaded my R9s, being my first time firing it, I pulled the trigger back very slowly.  Finally, the hammer drops, and nothing.  I pulled again, and again, nothing.  I ejected the round and looked at it, and there was a very faint mark on the primer.  I tried it again with another bullet.  Same results.  

I put it away, but then decided that I didn't come to the range for nothing.  I wondered if the slow trigger pull took any blame, so I reloaded it and pulled the trigger quickly.  It fired with no problem.  I reloaded and did it again, and once again, no problem.  

Has anyone else experienced a failure to fire, and if so, has it been recurring or an isolated experience?  Please let me know.  It was near freezing outside.  No idea if that had an effect.  The ammo was regular old Remington JHP from Wal-Mart.  I was so excited to shoot it that I didn't take the time to track down the recommended ammo.  

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
Re: First time firing and...nothing!
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2005, 11:14:13 PM »
Do yourself a favor and buy the Speer GDHP. How many
times does it take to put the message across? No offense,
just pay  minimal attention.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2005, 11:46:49 PM »
What is it with pulling the trigger back very slowly?
That makes no sense; maybe you should take a basic
course in something unless you're putting us on.

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2005, 12:16:02 AM »
Somewhere I read that it was recommended by one of the Rohrbaugh boys that pulling the trigger slowly could result in a failure to fire.  

I've only used Winchester Silvertips and Speer 115 GDHP in both of my R9s.  If you ever have to use the gun you will not be pulling the trigger slowly.   Hard to say why a slow pull would be a problem.   Others have had problems with the Remmington primers.
Dave
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away..."

Offline Woo_Woo

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2005, 12:52:29 PM »
Tracker, I don't know about you, but the first time I fire a new gun, I squeeze the trigger to find the breaking point (the point at which the hammer drops and the gun fires).  I was taking a long shot as well and wanted to test the accuracy at a distance.  Same thing I've been doing with guns for the past 17 years.  In any case, even after the first trigger pull, I pulled a couple more times with the same bullet in the chamber and nothing happened.  

As for the ammo, like I said, the primer only had a mark on it, and unless the primers are made of iron, it should have had a dent.  Using Speer Gold Dots would not have made any difference at all, IMO, unless they use thin aluminum primers.  I would have used Speer, but in my excitement to shoot the thing, I did not spend the time finding a gun store who had it in stock, because, for whatever reason, the several I went to were sold out.  

The reason  for posting this was to get some feedback to see if anyone else had a similar problem or knew what was going on.  People on this forum tend to be helpful, but you are clearly not one of them.  

I realize that in a situation where I need the R9s, I won't be taking my time on accuracy and I will pull the trigger back quickly, but in any case, the fact that it didn't dent the primer after several pulls (one slow, the rest fast) is what concerns me.  If it fails to fire once, how can I be sure it will fire when I need it.  The simple fact is, a gun (especially a self defense pistol) should fire every time you pull the trigger, regardless of ammo.  

Thank you MountainMan for your constructive feedback.  

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2005, 01:12:51 PM »
Woo_Woo,

I think the pistol should fire normally, even if the trigger is pulled slowly.

I always thought you should pull the trigger slowly when doing target practice.  Otherwise, I think the muzzle might jump around a little bit.

Of course, this pistol is meant for up close defensive usage, where the trigger might be expected to be pulled quickly.

However, I still think slow pull should work.

Bill

Offline WoodstockDoug

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2005, 01:49:39 PM »
I'm sure that the first time I pulled the trigger on mine, I did so very slowly and carefully to see where it let off.  However, mine went bang as it was supposed to.

Unless my grasp of how a gun is built is all wrong, I just don't see how the speed of the trigger pull should have any effect on the final strike.  Can I ask you to try to reproduce that?  I will certainly try it when I go shooting next, which will hopefully be Saturday.  

My bet is that it is an ammo problem, not a gun problem, but it certainly would raise my eyebrows if it happened to me.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2005, 01:55:53 PM »
Woo_Woo;
Sorry, I apologize for my caustic comments. You are right;
we should only try to help each other.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2005, 02:30:47 PM »
I agree that the speed of the trigger manipulation should have NO bearing on the force with which the hammer falls...

Not sure what to make of this... if you rule out ammo, its a gun issue.  Try some high quality defensive ammo before you rule out ammo though.
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline TW

• Grand Master
First time firing and...nothing!
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2005, 03:29:43 PM »
>>Hi Woo...

The R9 is a very purpose built gun and does best with reccomended ammo.  For pratice I use Blazer .115gr with either aluminum or brass cases and Win White Box .115.  For carry I use Speer GDHP in .115 or Win Silvertip HP in .115.  And very important...stick to the factory reccomended clean and lube every 50 - 80 shots for best results.

Good luck with your new critter & enjoy...!...TW<<

Offline FireBreather01

• Expert
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2005, 01:21:35 AM »
I don't know how this might work considering that once the hammer reaches it's set point - it should have as much stored energy whether it is pulled fast or slow. PERHAPS, with the freezing weather the grease on your hammer was less viscous and by pulling slowly it didn't have enough inertia to overcome the friction of the cold grease.

(Hell - I don't know - it's a theory :-/)
Attitude is Everything
NRA Lifer, Instructor

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2005, 06:51:37 PM »
IMO..

Should not make a bit of difference if we pull fast, slow,or anywhere between.. ::)

I have done both, and never had a problem as yet..

In an act of "urgency" one may use any matter of speed of trigger pull!! ;)

I believe if you have tried different ammo-gotta be the gun..

Hope you find out soon..

Brenden

NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2005, 10:35:07 PM »
Brenden,
Be that as it may, I cannot in my wildest dreams using
a slow trigger pull in an urgent, self-defense situation.
Barring hesitation on a possible unidentified target, why
pull the trigger slowly? In practice, it should be done at the
same rate for consistency. Yes, Woo_Woo, I do check
for trigger break but not on a live round; usually on a snap
cap or if you desire, a dry fire. Shooting is a lot like flying:
do your experimenting in a simulated situation. I tried a lot
of things in a flight simulator that I would not even consider
in an airplane.

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2005, 01:36:52 AM »
Tracker,
Understood..
I try ALL ways to make sure everything that "may" occur-is OK..
When I practice-I shoot for fun, and also for "real"..Never hope to do this though..

NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2005, 06:24:35 PM »
Indeed, hammer fall is from same point in theory and so impact energy should be same fast or slow.

But - and not tested this and not sure if I could - but theory suggests that extreme speed with trigger pull could impart enough velocity to hammer against main spring to let it compress said spring a minute amount more than slow release.

This could then impart just a shade more energy at release.  

Overall tho ammo choice is what I place most importance on.  regular misfires tho might suggest a gun problem tho it is not one I would expect at all.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.