Author Topic: Looting  (Read 4737 times)

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
Looting
« on: August 30, 2005, 03:41:15 PM »
The video today of rampant looting has gotten people thinking.  A guy at work who is sort of "on the fence" came by to ask me if he could borrow a gun if a hurricane like Katrine comes our way.

I told him... Yes... maybe... but you would be much better off having your own and knowing how to use it.  

Sometimes it takes things like this for people to realize that the police may not always be at your beck and call to protect you and yours.
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline Newt

• Master
  • NRA Benefactor Member & Cert. Pistol Instructor
Re: Looting
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2005, 08:43:23 PM »
Amen to that Duane! They are not liable for your safety. If they get there 20min. after you called and you're already      then your nothin more than a statistic to them. :'( You and only you are responsible for your own safety, not so many people realize this. They think that they can reliy on lawenforcement to protect them! Ask the people in the LosAngelis suburbs during the Rodney King riots what the police told them when they called for help, sorry about your luck but we're busy. :-/ >:(
No matter how you struggle and strive, you will never get out of this world alive.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2005, 02:34:41 PM »
The lawlessness in New Orleans is getting completely out of control.  In addition to taking things away from people who have already lost so much, now armed thugs are interfering with the rescue efforts.  Shooting at resuce helicopters?  Stealing hospital supplies?

This is an absolute abomination.  A sin of the worst kind.  

This goes to show you just how little separates our wonderful and advanced civilization from complete anarchy.

God bless the innocents caught up in this tragedy.
Duane (DDGator)

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2005, 03:09:22 PM »
 I hope the military will bring severe force against thieves who take advantage of the tragic suffering of innocent people.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2005, 03:23:35 PM »
This whole thing REALLY bothers me.  It is a sickening display of human behavior.  It makes me wonder if our contry as a whole continues to have what it takes to face adversity and remain strong.  I hope this is not a representative sample.

Duane (DDGator)

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2005, 04:01:21 PM »
Those thugs are not representative of anything but the low-life criminal element which can be found in any society.  I suspect that the idiots have no clue as to what is about to be unleashed upon them.  "Hell is coming to breakfast!"
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2005, 04:56:57 PM »
Richard - ditto to that.

I know things are bad - in fact about as bad as they can get but - morals and scruples etc do NOT allow for some of what we are seeing.  Much can be ''excused'' by the term desperation but - that only goes so far with those of us who have standards.

Survival can be achieved without displays of behavior such as we see - and what we do see is in fact the latent abilities of the dross in the barrel of humanity - just under the surface for most part when things are ''normal'' but once cracks in the system - or as here total breakdown, then these scum come out to excercize their full and terrifying potential.

I would admit that I could perfunctorily ''dismiss'' them from this planet and make space for those more deserving and who need real help.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2005, 04:57:07 PM »
They are not human beings, they are savage animals. When there is a pack of dogs causing things like this, to stop it you have to take out some of the dogs to teach the others a lesson. You can not do this and get by with this type of behavior. I have always enjoyed New Orleans, however, this low life behavior has been happening for some time now and has been tolerated for several years. Soooo these low life savage animals think they can do what ever they want and nothing will happen to them. Also in the city limits of New Orleans no one can carry a hand gun by city ordinance. So the bad guys expect to have no problems from the honest citizens. There just is not enough cops around when they are needed. Sad state of affairs!

Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2005, 05:06:37 PM »
[size=13] Also in the city limits of New Orleans no one can carry a hand gun by city ordinance.[/size]

I hope Tom that ordinance will be swept under the carpet - by the good guys.  Survival comes first - which should include ''pest control''.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2005, 06:03:45 PM »
Tom:

You describe it very well.  I saw these bottom feeders emerge twice in Africa -- once in Liberia during a civil war (1992) and again in Nigeria during a military coup (1993).  There was no effective governmental power to keep those goons in check.  The goons in New Orleans would do well to heed some scripture:

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2005, 06:04:07 PM »
In addition to the immediate implications, I worry that knowledge of this kind of behavior emboldens our enemies.  In contrast to the heroism shown on 9/11, they see that if they cause enough disruption we may all turn on ourselves and do their work for them.

Perhaps I am overthinking this... but I worry anyway.
Duane (DDGator)

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2005, 06:18:00 PM »
Duane:

I agree that it is depressing, but just look at the rising tide of public support which is becoming manifest for the innocent victims -- support which is beginning to pour in from all 50 states and the territories.  Some of the finest LEOs in this county left yesterday for New Orleans, and the same applies to counties, cities, and towns across the land.  

The strength and moral purpose of this great nation and its people never cease to amaze me.  

Keep the faith!
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline BillinPittsburgh

• Master
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2005, 09:57:06 PM »
On the issue of loaning a gun:

At least in PA, you can't loan a gun unless the individual you are loaning it to has a concealed handgun license.  This doesn't prevent letting your buddy shoot your gun at a shooting range, but you can't hand it to anyone and let him walk away with it.  PA is a very gun friendly state, so I imagine it would be problematic in many other states.
Gentleness can only be expected from the strong.  Ancient Chinese proverb.

Offline Fud

• Master
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2005, 10:40:21 PM »
Thanks, I didn't know that. Not that I would lend my gun to a non-gun person because they might be a bigger danger to themselves than the bad guys but it's good to know this stuff.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2005, 11:44:07 AM »
Bill,

There is no such legal restrictions in Florida.  Now... that is not to say you couldn't be sued potentially if the gun is used against someone, but you can sue anybody for anything if you have the $200 filing fee.  However, there is no restriction on loaning a gun in Florida.

Duane (DDGator)