Author Topic: It Looks Like Harvey Will Hammer Texas  (Read 6250 times)

Online tracker

• Grand Master
Re: It Looks Like Harvey Will Hammer Texas
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2017, 08:42:01 PM »
Just to give you a metric estimate on the magnitude of this disaster, other than enormous human life and suffering, it is estimated that 400,000-500,000 vehicles were destroyed.

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2017, 09:22:43 PM »
I want to put this out there so that some of you can get a better understanding of what is happening in my corner of Texas.

Been spending the last few days across town helping an old college buddy clean out his home.  His house had 4 feet of water in it for about 2 days.  The home was built in the 70's and only flooded once before, about a year ago.  Well out of the 100 year flood plain, not that matters anymore.

Day one, truck of high school boys and their father (total strangers) stopped by and helped move furniture out to the street.  My back appreciated your help, you got some very good young men.

Day one, thanks to the lady (total stranger) who stopped by and dropped off a new shovel and cleaning supplies.

Day two, you Salvation Army guys from Kentucky sure do know how to make a good hamburger.  They just stopped their truck at the end of the driveway and asked if we wanted something to eat.  Hot hamburgers, chips, Oreos and cold water really hit the spot.  We really appreciated it.  The bucket of cleaning supplies, bug repellent, masks, green pads, bleach, etc. is coming in handy as well and is also appreciated.

Day two, to the father and his two sons driving the neighborhoods passing out bottles of water and cold beer to strangers working on their houses, thank you.  (You have a real nice restored classic 4x4 truck and you raising your boys the right way.)

Day two, to the family that stopped and asked if they could have the dining room table and chairs we placed at the curb, I hope your family enjoys many special meals on it.

Day two, to his neighbor who had extra fans and a dehumidifier, thanks for letting us use them.  It has helped dry the house out a lot faster, and thanks for keeping an eye on the house when we leave in the evening.

Day three (today), to the lady (stranger) in line ahead of me in the drive-thru at McDonalds. Thanks for buying me breakfast, that was very generous and surprised he heck out of me.  I passed the good wishes on, buying the guy behind me his breakfast.

Day three, to the guys passing out water from the back of their Bronco, thanks it was cold, cold, cold and tasted as good as any I have ever drank.  You guys came at almost exactly the perfect time.  I need that drink :)

Day three, many thanks to the un-flooded neighbor who collected some quilts, linens, etc and washed them over the past couple of days bringing them back this morning.  I think you saved some of his grandmothers quilts from the trash heap.

Day three, to my friends large, French, oil patch service employer for renting him an apartment, fully furnished with internet and cable for a month......maybe two.  Awesome way to threat your employees.
(Surprised the hell out of him)

Day three, to the HPD officer who was trying to find a place for his wife and kids to live for a few months while we were picking up the apartment keys, it was good talking to you, we appreciate your service and hopefully you found that multi-bedroom apartment you need after you left.

Day three, to the folks that dropped off the extremely cold beer to the other friends and family (while were getting the apartment keys) still working on the house, it had to be good.  They were ranting about it when we got back.  When an 60 year old engineer says he needs to figure out how they got beer that cold in a regular cooler with ice, it says something.

Day four (tomorrow) unfortunately I will not be able to sample any of the goodness that the Cajun Army is going to pass out in the back of Kingwood to flooded families, but thank you ahead of time.  It's been posted that anyone can come by and pick up lunch for as many people as need it.  My mom will be collecting and delivering to a number of families in her church that will be working on recovering their homes tomorrow.

Strangers are driving the neighborhoods looking for people to help, whether with labor, refreshments, moral support and other ways.  Heat index as been over 100 degrees all three days and it's brutal for those that don't do this for a living.  Easy to forget to drink and get yourself in trouble quickly, those delivering water are doing a tremendous service.  Just the few minutes to stop, re-hydrate, cool off and chat mean more than you can imagine.  Knowing you are not alone working, but that others who you never have met and will probably never cross paths with again care about your situation and are willing to help is putting me at a loss of words.

I spent time in NOLA after Katrina, and did a lot of work with the aftermath of that storm and the one that followed, Rita.  Never did I see what is happening right now in Texas.  People are not complaining, bitching or expecting/demanding help, we just working with our friends, family, neighbors and strangers to bring us all back to where we are all ok again. 
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 09:29:28 PM by MikeInTexas »

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2017, 09:31:38 PM »
Wow!!! Be safe.
Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone!

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2017, 05:22:08 PM »
Amazing stories Michael. God Bless you and all that are there helping you and everyone else who needs help. So great to hear this stuff going on. We all pray for all of our neighbors in Texas, Louisiana and all states affected by Hurricane Harvey.
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.