Author Topic: Clipdraw on R9S  (Read 8353 times)

Offline AmmoToad

• Master
  • The Toad
Clipdraw on R9S
« on: July 06, 2010, 08:52:15 PM »
Anybody else try this?  I’ve been using the Clipdraws on several other carry guns because I like not having the extra bulk of a holster.  I have had outstanding results and one of them, installed with the tape (universal type like shown on the R9S) has been in use for nearly three years.  On another, I had to remove the tape after about a year and it came off clean with no residue.  So, I put one on the Pup and it works great.  Now, in the photo, it looks like it is right against the ejection port, it is actually just a hair below it and still leaves plenty of room for a takedown punch.  I fired in the neighborhood of 50-60 rounds so far with this installed and there was no interference at all.  I know that carrying without the holster can lead to scratches or wear, but I’m not concerned about that.  I wanted function and minimal size.  I carry strong side IWB, but this could easily be moved to weak side.  The outer clip adds minimal bulk and can be removed with two screws.  Just wanted to throw an idea and pix out to anyone looking.  

American Warrior
NRA Life
Ammo Troop

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
Re: Clipdraw on R9S
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 09:24:50 PM »
I remember the first time I saw one of those, and thought, oh, no, someone has tapped into the slide with screws; of course, later found out, as you said, fastened with tape.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 12:24:19 AM »
I'm not a fan of exposed trigger carry, especially sticking it into the waist band. Bad things can happen when triggers are left exposed while carrying. :o Just my opinion.

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline helodriver

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 09:07:03 AM »
Agree with Yankee.  I had one on a Bersa Thunder .380CC because it has a decocker/safety that was engage whenever I carried with a round in the chamber.  Still found that it got in the way of pulling the slide back, so off it came.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 09:11:36 AM »
helodriver.  Welcome to the Forum.  
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 10:35:25 AM »
helodriver, and enjoy the good company here.

John
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 10:36:50 AM by yankee2500 »
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2010, 10:36:04 AM »
I carry my R9 exclusively in the pocket. However, I have a grip-mounted Clipdraw on my favorite 1911. I use the Clipdraw primarily to provide added retention for the pistol in the Yaqui Paddle or Beltster holsters in which I usually carry it. Each of those "minimalist" holster designs covers the trigger mechanism.

Here it is up close in the Yaqui -- and, yes, I did endulge myself by having it engraved:  8)

(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Dino

• Master
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2010, 02:29:25 PM »
I have the clipdraw on a Remington 51 auto and love it.  However it does have a safety on it, just like Richards beautiful 1911.

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2010, 07:53:44 AM »
I carry my R9 exclusively in the pocket. However, I have a grip-mounted Clipdraw on my favorite 1911. I use the Clipdraw primarily to provide added retention for the pistol in the Yaqui Paddle or Beltster holsters in which I usually carry it. Each of those "minimalist" holster designs covers the trigger mechanism.

Here it is up close in the Yaqui -- and, yes, I did endulge myself by having it engraved:  8)

Richard,
Nice 1911,but where was my bling alert?!! ;)

No one attacks me with impunity!! 8)

I likey!!!
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2010, 08:23:44 AM »
Brenden.  You should know by now to have the sun glasses ready without notice.    ;D

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2010, 10:29:22 AM »
Mea maxima culpa, Brenden.  I'll try to do better.  ;)
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2010, 10:43:32 AM »
Hey, Richard; it's not quite that bad!    :)

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2010, 07:42:36 PM »
AmmoToad - thanks for sharing, I've always been curious about those myself.  I wondered if the clip would get in the way when firing.
And like others I do have concerns about an exposed trigger gaurd.   But I am open to new ideas.

Please keep us posted how it is working for you.

Reinz
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline AmmoToad

• Master
  • The Toad
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2010, 09:01:29 PM »
Reinz,
I certainly respect the opinions of others on here and the fact that there are concerns about exposed trigger carry.  I used to have the same concerns about carrying a cocked and locked 1911.  I learned long ago at Ft Benning and then at Ft Bragg, that my safety is my finger. However, I do not recommend exposed trigger carry to anyone who is not 100% comfortable, and 100% confident in a stressful situation.  That being said.  I only carry exposed trigger carry on those firearms that require a calculated effort to pull the trigger.  IMO, the R9's require such effort that an accidental snag on the trigger would not cause an inadvertent discharge of the weapon, but again, I don't recommend this method for anyone not comfortable, confident, properly trained, etc...only the individual can decide that.  For me, I'm good with it and even carry a G27 with a light trigger this way occasionally. I defer to the many experts on this forum as to their opinion of an out of the box trigger pull on a Pup.  Listen to everyone's opinion, then form your own, because in the end, it is the individual who has to answer for their decisions.  Hope this helps.  No matter what, exercise your 2nd Amendment rights and arm up and carry proudly.    
American Warrior
NRA Life
Ammo Troop

Offline AmmoToad

• Master
  • The Toad
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2010, 09:02:53 PM »
Oh, and to answer the question, no interference issues at all, everything functions flawlessly.
American Warrior
NRA Life
Ammo Troop