Author Topic: Loving my new Kimber Solo... 1700 rounds and counting.  (Read 65191 times)

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
Re: Loving my new Kimber Solo + PICS OF THE INSIDES AFTER 1000+ ROUNDS
« Reply #75 on: April 30, 2014, 07:12:40 AM »
Excellent insight.

I dropped out of Harvard because it wasn't challenging enough. Then I woke from my dream only to realize I'm not smart enough to spell Harvard without spellcheck.

Thanks for the great info Tracker.
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #76 on: May 02, 2014, 10:02:37 PM »
I had another impressive range session today with the little solo today.

Used 115 federal and it ran all 100 of them without a hitch. I was glad. Maybe I have found a cheap range ammo I can use in it. Idk.

Well what was really impressive was I had 4 rounds left after running through 16 clips. Well I tried to hit a 6" steel plate for the first time from 75 ft.

Well when I put the sights dead on I was missing so with 2 of the last 4 I aimed slightly low and ting - ting.

Not a big deal to some I'm sure, but I am no crack shot and I have never shot the little giant from that distance or even close. Also, we are talking about a comparable cousin to the R9 in size. Not much larger at all.

I was impressed AGAIN : ))

It's a little beast I tell ya.

Let me know if you have a micro that can even compare to this accuracy.

Also, let me know if you have a micro that can compare to this reliability.

I will probably buy it if it functions as well as the solo. Sounds like the Boberg may compare eh? Anything else?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 10:05:46 PM by JoshA »
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
« Reply #77 on: May 02, 2014, 10:35:20 PM »
I get 4" shot groups at 50 feet with my R9, and it has been reliable with Lawman 124gr and 147gr TMJ ammo.

I think I can hit an 8" target at 75 feet, but I've never tried it.

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #78 on: May 03, 2014, 10:03:40 AM »
I have never tried my r9 at such distances either. I would never guess I would shoot 4" groups at 50 ft since I can't shoot 10" groups at 21 ft : ))

I haven't given up on my R9 for reliability YET. I also really favored the lawman and gold dots. They did the best in mine before I damaged mine at about 350 round (+however many the previous owner had through it. I would guess about 150 from the looks of it)

I will look forward to getting it fixed and trying to see if it's reliable and durable and accurate after repairs. Should be less than a year I hope. Until then the solo just keeps proving to be what a micro CAN BE. it's not as small as the R9 (which I honestly think they could have done by shortening the barrel) but that's where the comparison ends for me and my R9. I understand that there are some better than others though.

All that being said I do not find a fault with my solo after 1250 rounds through it. It's a sewing machine that has earned a degree of confidence only reserved for bigger black polymer guns that start with a G and revolvers.

I am obviously no writer for guns and ammo or some other type of guru. Just a picky guy who wants to carry something I can trust is going to go bang when called upon to do so and is compact and user friendly enough to carry every day everywhere.  Kind of a narrow window of tolerance, but the kimber solo fits through it. maybe your R9 fits through it. Maybe not. Mine doesn't, but there good and bad ones apparently. I understand there have been some reported bad solos too. The difference seems to be the factory support.

Also, I should say I only own one other kimber to date (ultra carry II) so know I'm not a fan boy. I just find it to be more than expected in every aspect. I'm actually a sig fanboy, but after owning the 938 and 290RS I can say they don't really compare to the solo for EDC FOR ME.

One word of warning if you are thinking about buying one: I should have gotten the $1150 defensive package in retrospect. I have close to that much invested in mine and still don't have night sights. I do have some extra mags and crimson trace grips though.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 10:08:27 AM by JoshA »

John Stuart Mill

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #79 on: May 09, 2014, 08:06:30 PM »
Well ran another box of 115 grain federal range ammo ($25 at Wally World) through the solo today.

I'm posting this to let all know it wasn't as good of an experience as the last 100 and I'm guessing that that's one reason you don't want to run it consistently unless you don't mind an occasional jam etc.

The slide was usually not locking open on the last round almost undoubtedly because of the lack of grain weight to push the slide back. I don't recall having that problem before though.

Now of course I need to get at it with the good stuff again and make sure the gun is as much of a beast as it always has been. I'm confident it will.

I'm waiting for a shipment of 124 gr Slightly hotter military rounds from Midway that I can affordably run through the little giant, but they aren't due here til June or July. Wow.

Anyway, if anyone is interested in owning a solo I needed to let you know to expect mixed results from the federal 115 gr ammo that YOU ARENT SUPPOSED TO USE IN THE WEAPON ANYWAY : )

John Stuart Mill

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #80 on: May 09, 2014, 08:08:45 PM »
Oh we are now over 1300 rounds through the little machine
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 08:36:09 AM by JoshA »

John Stuart Mill

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
« Reply #81 on: May 09, 2014, 09:29:15 PM »
What I've found is that some companies call their ammo "NATO" but when you look at the muzzle velocity - it is not close to NATO

Georgia Arms has 124gr round nose TMJ with a muzzle velocity of 1150.  That is a little hotter than something like Blazzer Brass which is somewhere around 1090,

I started with the Winchester Ranger T "NATO" to break in my CM9 and then moved to the Georgia Arms 124gr.  I didn't have FTF or FTE, I did have a problem with the slide bot locking back - but I may have been pressing down on the slide stop lever (another reason I like the R9 - no slide stop lever).  It is not so bad if your thumb pushes down - can be a big problem if your thumb pushed up.

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #82 on: May 10, 2014, 08:35:34 AM »
Thanks Count. Where do I get my hands on the Georgia arms stuff?

John Stuart Mill

Offline tracker

• Grand Master

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #84 on: May 10, 2014, 08:04:26 PM »
Just ordered 500 of em and 500 .40 cal as well.

Pretty good prices and I like that they pack it in an ammo can. That's great!

Thanks for the tip Count.

John Stuart Mill

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
Re: Loving my new Kimber Solo, BUT SHE WONT LOCK OPEN ANYMORE 😳
« Reply #85 on: May 12, 2014, 07:48:07 PM »
Well after 1400 or so rounds the solo isn't locking the slide open on last round. It kinda seems as if it's something mechanically restricting the slide from traveling back all the way.

Well looks like I need to go back to the trusty G27.

What a pistol! It may not have a soul, but it has everything else a guy would want in a fighting pistol. And 1/2 way concealable.

I've tried everything I can get my hands on, but that would be my choice all year if I could conceal it well enough in summer garb.

Maybe the sig 224 will be a contender though heavier and having the 2 different trigger pulls (not into the double action sig). I don't know. We have to see.

Until then, back to the G_ _ _k.

I'll keep anyone who cares posted.

John Stuart Mill

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #86 on: May 12, 2014, 07:57:38 PM »

No one can say you didn't give it a good shot.

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #87 on: May 12, 2014, 08:18:10 PM »
Well after 1400 or so rounds the solo isn't locking the slide open on last round. It kinda seems as if it's something mechanically restricting the slide from traveling back all the way.

Well looks like I need to go back to the trusty G27.

What a pistol! It may not have a soul, but it has everything else a guy would want in a fighting pistol. And 1/2 way concealable.

I've tried everything I can get my hands on, but that would be my choice all year if I could conceal it well enough in summer garb.

Maybe the sig 224 will be a contender though heavier and having the 2 different trigger pulls (not into the double action sig). I don't know. We have to see.

Until then, back to the G_ _ _k.

I'll keep anyone who cares posted.

Remember, this is the Rohrbaugh Forum

The slide not locking back is an advancement and selling point.

Seriously, have you checked the slide stop spring to see if it is still functioning correct or if something is worn or broke in that area?

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #88 on: May 12, 2014, 08:38:25 PM »
Haha.

Hey MRC,

no I haven't, but I had a buddy with me at the range today that noted he couldn't pull the slide all the way back in order to get where the notch in the slide lined up with the slide stop EVERY time. Like there was a mysterious mechanical blockage of sorts.

I wonder a bit if there is something amiss with the recoils spring assembly. Like something in the 0 tolerance area of the assembly that is hindering a full collapse. I guess a quick swap of springs would tell the story. I wonder if I kept the old one. I'll have to look.

Thanks for the idea. If the recoil spring assembly is not the issue I will look to your point next sir. Thanks again.

John Stuart Mill

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #89 on: May 13, 2014, 02:55:14 PM »
Dang it Josh, you just wore it out!  Light weight micros are not built to be range guns.  You treated your Solo like a rented mule....now go buy another, break it in and then carry it.  ;)
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis