Author Topic: Loving my new Kimber Solo... 1700 rounds and counting.  (Read 64501 times)

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
Re: Loving my new Kimber Solo + Range Report on it
« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2014, 08:55:49 AM »
10/4. Makes sense. I really wanted to get a handle on how durable it is as well as become very proficient with it, hence all of the shooting. I don't like just target practice. I have that piece down pretty good from 7 yard and closer threshold. It's more about shooting multiple targets on the move etc. I'm splitting my rounds between this and my G27 (winter/fall gun).  I say all of that to rationalize the rounds ran through it. I don't want to wear it out, but I want to become very confident with it. I honestly think of it as proven from my stand point : )

The alloy frame looks excellent to be honest. Just a few places of minor wear.

I actually don't shoot +p in it while range shooting. Just enough to make sure It runs well in the pistol and that the particular lot or batch is a good one. I agree with you about the poly guns holding up generally better and being lighter.

As for the lock up you are mentioning, are you talking about the actual slide lock notches on the slide?
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #46 on: April 03, 2014, 09:28:11 AM »
Take the slide off and turn it upside down. Look where the lugs on the barrel lock up with the slide lugs.  Look for good uniformly round edges that are not starting to wear unevenly.

I have not had mine off for awhile, so I can't be more specific.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 09:34:01 AM by MRC »

Offline rcm11

« Reply #47 on: April 03, 2014, 10:44:24 AM »
I, too, have a Solo with the laser.  Mine is the newer DC (deep cover) version they recently released.  I am in LOVE with the pistol, and it's in my front pocket in a Sticky Holster as I type this.  I have about 400 rounds of sheer bliss and perfection through this little pocket 9mm.  I had a couple FTFs with Winchester White Box 115gr.  BUT, that's IT.  Anytime I've used 124gr or 147gr I've had a smile on my face.  I have 40 rounds of Cor-Bon 125gr+p through it and it's perfect, perfect, perfect.

I love my R9S, don't get me wrong, but this Solo has a laser, fires +p loads and pocket carries only marginally heavier/wider than my Pups (some of which are waiting for warranty)

Highly endorse the Solo
Rohrbaugh R9 Special Forces
Kimber Super Carry Ultra
Wilson Combat Ultralight Carry Compact

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2014, 12:16:45 PM »
Sounds great rcm11!  What did you have to pay for your little beast of a pistolé?

MRC: I know what you speak of now. I will look and confirm even wear or better yet no visible wear : )

Thanks guys!

Fire on.
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #49 on: April 15, 2014, 11:46:37 PM »
Well put 150 flawless Winchester T 147 grain through the solo today that takes us over the 1000 round mark and time to replace the spring.

So far the only problems I see with the little machine are a slightly loose right ambi safety switch and the black wearing off where the mag goes in. Other than that it's in great shape. Tight and very dependable.

Of all of the 124 and 147 ammo ran through it I had ZERO malfunctions!

If you aren't impressed with that for a little pistol I can only surmise you haven't shot many little pistols. They always have some hick up it seems. The micros that is.

Well I'm real happy with this Solo and plan to make it my EDC while it's hot here in Indianapolis.

I will be mostly carrying it IWB under an untucked polo and occasionally in the pocket. It's a bit large for that to me though. Not terrible, but it just rides more comfortable and concealed IWB IMO.

Well I'll clean it and change the spring and post a pic or two for anyone who cares.

I'll report on how it functions with the new spring and go from there.

John Stuart Mill

Offline trident

« Reply #50 on: April 16, 2014, 03:15:55 AM »
Take the slide off and turn it upside down. Look where the lugs on the barrel lock up with the slide lugs.  Look for good uniformly round edges that are not starting to wear unevenly.

I have not had mine off for awhile, so I can't be more specific.

Mine has peening, not bad but I only have maybe 100 rounds through it.

I called factory , they said its normal....really !

Offline Douglas

• Expert
« Reply #51 on: April 16, 2014, 06:25:48 PM »
Well put 150 flawless Winchester T 147 grain through the solo today that takes us over the 1000 round mark and time to replace the spring.

So far the only problems I see with the little machine are a slightly loose right ambi safety switch and the black wearing off where the mag goes in. Other than that it's in great shape. Tight and very dependable.

Of all of the 124 and 147 ammo ran through it I had ZERO malfunctions!

If you aren't impressed with that for a little pistol I can only surmise you haven't shot many little pistols. They always have some hick up it seems. The micros that is.

Well I'm real happy with this Solo and plan to make it my EDC while it's hot here in Indianapolis.

I will be mostly carrying it IWB under an untucked polo and occasionally in the pocket. It's a bit large for that to me though. Not terrible, but it just rides more comfortable and concealed IWB IMO.

Well I'll clean it and change the spring and post a pic or two for anyone who cares.

I'll report on how it functions with the new spring and go from there.

See that? I told you those 147s wouldn't let you down!

-Okay, so that was a different gun...  ;)

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #52 on: April 16, 2014, 06:36:24 PM »
Yes. Hey Douglas. I do have the 147 that I want to use on the R9 per your suggestion. Just waiting of course. Thanks again for the recomendation. I feel like my R9 will see its best days ahead of it when I get it fixed now that I've learned way more about it , the ammo it prefers and how to hold it and clean it.

Take care Douglas.

John Stuart Mill

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
Re: Loving my new Kimber Solo + PICS OF THE INSIDES AFTER 1000+ ROUNDS
« Reply #53 on: April 17, 2014, 02:26:57 PM »
MRC I do see some wearing on the "lockups" (I think you called them) on the inside of the slide.

Here are some pics of this little beast after 1000+ rounds.

Again note that when using 124, 147 and premium 115 this gun has functioned with 100% reliability even intentionally trying its patience. Lots of one handed and one handed weak side shooting in my recent training sessions (yeah I'm a dork, so what? : )

« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 02:34:16 PM by JoshA »

John Stuart Mill

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #54 on: April 17, 2014, 03:18:49 PM »
I can't see real good, but off hand I do not see anything that I would worry about.  The extremely high slide velocities on these small, light pistols firing high pressure ammo has been a concern of mine. 

I wonder what Kimber projects for an estimated useful life as far as round count.

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #55 on: April 17, 2014, 03:28:04 PM »
Just talked to Kimber about when they recommend sending the Solo in for a deep cleaning and change the firing pin etc and they said 2000-2500 rounds.

I said "even with the solo being as small as it is?" He said "yep".
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 08:56:14 PM by JoshA »

John Stuart Mill

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #56 on: April 19, 2014, 09:11:40 PM »
So after I changed the recoil spring assembly and cleaned it I took it to the range and wouldn't you know, it barked off 24, 147 gr hi shoks like clockwork.

That's OVER 1000 ROUNDS THROUGH IT WITHOUT ONE FAILURE OUT OF 124, 147 or PREMIUM 115 AMMO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The only gun I have put to this test and have found this kind of reliability thus far bas been my g27

You kind of expect it out of a Glock or other "duty" type weapons like my 226 or revolver.

Has anyone had this type of success from a micro auto? I'm obviously pretty impressed, but I think for good reason.

Speaking of the Glock 27 I saw a review on the little giant. It was sporting a 9 mm and .357 sig barell on mousegunaddicts.com which I think is Ljutic's sight. He kinda raved on it, so since it is my colder weather gun/ favorite carry piece (when I can clothe enough to conceal it) I decided to try out the lone wolf barrels myself. So far I've ran the 9mm and really enjoyed it for training purposes. Pretty cool stuff if you havent seen it yet and best of all it's simple and relatively affordable! 3 awesome guns in one for about $900. I know some will say "no soul", but I like it. You may too. RELIABLE.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 04:06:08 PM by JoshA »

John Stuart Mill

Offline Saber

« Reply #57 on: April 27, 2014, 07:05:08 PM »
I'm seriously considering the Solo since Glock went the 380 route instead of releasing a single-stack nine. Anyhow, my only reservation with the Solo is that huge safety; is there a way a disabling/removing it? Can it be easily manipulated on or off? How smoothly does the safety operate, can it be engaged/disengaged inadvertently?

Online tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #58 on: April 27, 2014, 07:23:55 PM »

The thumb safety is there because the Solo is a single action. It cannot be removed or deactivated. A Kahr or a Glock might suit you better.

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #59 on: April 27, 2014, 07:46:16 PM »
I'm seriously considering the Solo since Glock went the 380 route instead of releasing a single-stack nine. Anyhow, my only reservation with the Solo is that huge safety; is there a way a disabling/removing it? Can it be easily manipulated on or off? How smoothly does the safety operate, can it be engaged/disengaged inadvertently?

I carry a Kimber Solo daily in my pocket.  I carry it in a DeSantis suoer fly holster with out the flap.

If you are familiar with the 1911 controls, the safety will come naturally,  The safety is small but easy to access for me.

The Solo has a long double action type only trigger similar to the R9 or a PM9.  Because of this I carry the pistol with the safety off.  That is my choice.  When I remove it from my pocket, I then engage the safety.

Here is a reviewer and carrier who shares my opinion.  The Solo is a very reliable, accurate, and safe pistol in my opinion.  Good luck

http://www.policeone.com/police-products/firearms/articles/5379304-Firearms-Review-The-Kimber-Solo/