Author Topic: Holstering Stealth wears slide?  (Read 12052 times)

Offline Mullin

Holstering Stealth wears slide?
« on: March 21, 2011, 11:19:09 AM »
This is my first forum post:

I've been trying to decide which R9S to purchase.  In reading posts in the forum, I've read that the Stealth's slide will show wear after being holstered over a period of time.  Is this true?  If so, I guess I should be considering the Standard R9S.

Not quite on topic, but I've also read about the "Covert" R9S . . . is this just another name for the Standard or is this a separate pistol?  FWIW, the Rohrbaugh Firearms page shows only the Standard and Stealth models, there's nothing about the Covert.

Thanks, Bill
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 11:23:00 AM by Mullin »
Glock 17, 19, 26
Ruger LC9, LCP

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
Re: Holstering Stealth wears slide?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 11:31:42 AM »

Bill,

Welcome to the forum. The standard and the stealth are the only two models being offered by Rohrbaugh at this time.

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 12:29:17 PM »
Bill,
    Welcome to the group.
I think any all black gun will show wear on the slide from being in and in & out of a holster.
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 12:43:26 PM »
Bill.  Welcome to the Forum.  Agree with both above remarks.  Good luck with your decision on the R9.  Enjoy the Forum.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline dano

• Expert
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 12:49:33 PM »
Hi Bill!  :) Welcome to the Forum!

I had pretty much the same questions when shopping for the R9. If you look closely at the standard you will see that the frame lower now has the black finish as well. The slide and the lower at the front, near bottom, of the trigger guard are the areas most prone to holster wear. Some members will tell you that the Stealth's finish holds up pretty well, while others have a different opinion. I decided on the Stealth because I like the black finish. If it wears out, then I will send it to a custom shop or to Wilson, where they will make it black once more. If you decide to go with the Standard, which is cheaper, you can always send it off if you decide you want black. Just my  .

Danny
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 12:57:03 PM by dano »
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. Edmund Burke

Offline Mullin

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 01:58:39 PM »
Good tips all, thanks!  I'm still torn between the two guns, but when I make my purchase I'll be sure to post something in the forum . . . with pictures!
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 01:59:27 PM by Mullin »
Glock 17, 19, 26
Ruger LC9, LCP

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 03:11:35 PM »
A couple of Dealers are offering what they call a "Covert".  I do not know anything about the arangement with Rohrbaugh.  Here is a listing on one.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=220576453

Offline Carter

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2011, 03:18:34 PM »
About pistol finish wear when carrying... it's gonna' happen. Period.
Even stainless finished will get "polished up" a little, and on stainless pistols, there's still the grips (of whatever material) that will show wear over time.

I think a person is going to have to decide if they want to carry or collect, and I feel for those who need to decide.
I've got some I won't wear because of some assumed "collectability", and others I carry and don't worry if they get worn from the holster or even dropped.

I carry the Pup but thank goodness I haven't dropped it... yet.  :o
As for wear, I can always send it back for refinishing if I just can't live with it showing some wear.

Offline Z

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2011, 06:53:13 AM »
My first PUP was a stealth. Is started to show some signed of holster wear. I had it chrome plated by AP&W and this finish seems to be more durable. After refinishing it still shows some marks from being holstered, but i do carry this R9 a lot and in all conditions.

[img][/img]
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 06:54:07 AM by wolverine_450 »

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2011, 09:41:30 AM »
I do like it.  That's what makes it so hard to choose between Robar and Cogan.    ;)
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Z

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2011, 10:16:30 AM »
I have two Cogan's. I am very happy with the work they did. I especially like the frame checkering. If i go with the NP3 finish, i would send it to Cogan and have them checker the front and back strap.

I may try the NP3 on my newest PUP. I am still undecided.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 10:17:06 AM by wolverine_450 »

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2011, 10:19:51 AM »
I guess one could send a gun to Robar for the insides and then to Cogan for the outside; that's a thought.  

Offline Z

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2011, 10:47:15 AM »
I wonder who would get the gun first Robar or Cogan?

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2011, 11:12:03 AM »
For me, I would send it to Robar first, then to Cogan, however, I would call Cogan first and get his opinion.

Offline Z

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2011, 11:29:02 AM »
Sound like a plan.

I will let you know how i make out when i am ready.