Author Topic: Took my new RM380 to the range  (Read 5994 times)

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
Took my new RM380 to the range
« on: January 06, 2017, 11:17:52 AM »
My first pull of the trigger sent a round downrange, my second pull of the trigger just went "CLICK", I took my left hand off the gun only to find that I had accidentally ejected the mag.

I couldn't believe it.

I fired about 150 rounds through the gun and I didn't depress the magazine release again.  I think I had the gun in a death grip at first, expecting the same kind of recoil I get with the R9.  Its actually comfortable to shoot.

I didn't have any failures or malfunctions.

The gun is capable of being pretty accurate, I just couldn't string together 5 good shots.  On this shot group - the "flyer" was the fifth round.  Shooting standing offhand 21 feet, 4 rounds in 3/4"  the fifth round opened the group up to 1 3/4"

« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 11:46:05 AM by C0untZer0 »

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
Re: Took my new RM380 to the range
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2017, 11:38:05 AM »
I like being able to use 6 O'Clock hold, either the pistol shoots a little to the left or I'm shooting it a little to the left, but I like the height of the POI, its right on the money for 6 O'Clock hold.

I did some rapid fire on a B27 target.  I completely lose the black sights against a black background, but I was able to put most of the rounds in the 9 ring, some rounds crept up into the 7 ring, but they were still centerline, so that would be like shooting someone right between the collar bones.

I'm pretty happy with the gun.

I'm tempted to replace my R9 with this RM380 just because I can stay on target easier and get more rounds on target faster...  I'll have to think about it...

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2017, 11:55:52 AM »
Some nice shootin' there! I believe you, as I, will come to know that Remington did, overall, do a nice job on our R9 Series Pistol. The one thing I can, and will, "knock it" for is that when they opened up the trigger guard area, they did not make adjustments to the trigger shape itself to a larger more "open" feel. I have trouble with the bottom of the trigger "bitting" into the tip of my trigger finger. If they would make the trigger radius a little larger, then they will have done a wonderful job on their "Big Green Rohrbaugh Pistol". I carry the RM380 quite a bit and keep my real R9s in my safe, unless I'm going somewhere and want to show it to someone. It has become my "BBQ Gun". LOL. The ballistics of today's .380 ACP rounds have come a long way from days of old with their simple "round nose". With today's technology, they are a viable round for self defense, in my humble opinion anyway.

Well. . . . Enjoy your new RM380

Stay Safe ~ Stay Well.

Eric R.

Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2017, 12:15:25 PM »
The other thing I'll fault them for is the mag well. 

I'm not as familiar with the RM380 as I am my R9, and I actually practice mag changes with my R9 quite a bit, but anyway I think instead of just sticking a plastic block in the magwell to shorten it up to 380 sized mag they could have beveled it a little bit.  When I try to stick the mag in the gun I clunk the mag against the block.

Maybe that's not Remington, maybe that's left over from the R9 design, but its just something I noticed.

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2017, 01:50:40 PM »
Actually, the R9 and the R380 use the same frame. The magazine wells on the Rohrbaugh Pistols are identical, while Remington installed a plastic block for the shorter .380 cartridge making their magazine well smaller. The Rohrbaugh design put a metal spacer insert inside of the magazines, allowing the use of the same frame for both the .380 and the 9mm pistols. What I do with all of my semi-automatic pistols to load the magazine is this technique:  If right handed, hold the pistol in your right hand, take the magazine with your left hand and insert just the tip-top of it into the mag well "favoring" from back to front, then, here is the secret. . . . use the pinky of your right hand to pull the bottom of the magazine rearward up against the flat surface of the rear part of the magwell, straighten the magazine up and align it with the mag well and the handle/grip of the firearm and then push it into the pistol with your left hand until it clicks into place. I wish I could upload a video on how I do this effortlessly, but I am not that savvy on these things. Sorry. I hope I wrote it well enough that most of you guys may understand what I am saying and how I am loading any of my semi-auto pistols. . . . both large and small alike!

Regards,

Eric R.
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2017, 08:39:55 AM »
I continue to shoot the heck out of this little gun, but I have't practiced magazine changes at all.

I did do something weird yesterday, I've been using Tipton SnapCaps, and I've totally hollowed out the faux primer, so I grabbed an A-Zoom, loaded it in the mag, sling-shotted the slide and - JAM !

That's when I realized I don't have any .380 ACP A-Zooms, I only have 9mm A-Zooms  :o

You can't load more than one 9mm cartridge in the RM380's magazine, but you can load one 9mm round.

Of course you can't chamber it, but, lesson learned.

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2017, 01:46:22 PM »
Good lesson on the .380 / 9mm thing Count. On another note. . . . as a civilian, and this is just "my humble opinion and observations". . . . . these little guns are last ditch effort guns. . . . there are no tactical magazine changes with it. At that point, you're on the ground wrestling with the bastard or he's incapacitated by now. . . . . again, just my thoughts on real life use of these small pocket guns. I would continue to train drawing it from concealment and shot placement.

Okay . . . . . Carry on .......................  ;-)

Eric R.

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2017, 10:22:51 AM »
Right on Eric!  Also remain situationally aware....best not to ever have to use the pistol at all.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline kevinqjhps

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2017, 01:45:25 PM »
This is why I carry back up in a ankle holster. If end up on my back, with someone on top of me, I can get to my ankle weapon.
USMC
Disabled Vet
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
FORMER Cincy Bengals fan
Three times a week shooter
Indy resident

Those who disrespect the American flag have never been handed a folded one

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2017, 05:34:23 PM »
Right on Eric!  Also remain situationally aware....best not to ever have to use the pistol at all.

B I N G O ! 

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2017, 08:00:51 PM »
I've been thinking about an ankle holster

Offline kevinqjhps

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2017, 03:40:25 PM »

I have had a CCW permit for 35-40 years and thank God have never had to use it. Once, late at night after work, I went through a drive through. A old Buick 'two and some change' with 3-4 home boys drove past and slowed down. They turned around and cruised by again real slow. After this I put my CZ on the seat, there was a curb so I couldn't get out of the line. After the third pass I got out, keeping the pistol behind my leg and the engine block between me and them, they saw I was no longer going to go down without a fight and drive off quickly.

Situation awareness is what saved me, and a few of them, that day. 
USMC
Disabled Vet
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
FORMER Cincy Bengals fan
Three times a week shooter
Indy resident

Those who disrespect the American flag have never been handed a folded one

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2017, 08:11:14 PM »
I forgot to add that I like the checkering on the front strap that Remington added to the RM380