Author Topic: This can't be right, can it?  (Read 3388 times)

Offline Fud

• Master
This can't be right, can it?
« on: December 19, 2005, 10:47:07 PM »
I owned a Kahr MK9 a few years back but decided to sell it.

I'm looking that their website and it says that the overall length of the gun is 5.3 inches while the Rohrbaugh is 5.2 inches in length.

Again, I no longer have the MK9 to do a side by side comparison but if memory serves me correctly, there HAD TO BE more than 0.1 inches difference in length between the MK9 and the R9.

Anyone know of any side by side comparison photos?

Offline flyandscuba

• Master
  • Ivan, Dennis, and Katrina - enough is enough!
Re: This can't be right, can it?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2005, 11:39:19 PM »
Yep, not much difference.  This has been posted before, but gives a visual comparison of most popular pocket pistols.

http://tinypic.com/2j8hhs
I'm not a gun expert -- but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night...

Offline Fud

• Master
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2005, 11:55:48 PM »
Here's the thing ...

1) I recall some comparison photos posted on THR about a year ago comparing the micro Kahr and the R9 and the difference seemed more than just 0.1 inches. For all practical purposes, you can't even see a 0.1 inch difference in a photo unless the image is over 1000x1000 in size and these images were a lot smaller and I could see the difference in size which makes me doubt that the difference is only 0.1 inches.

I'm doing a search on THR trying to find that thread but search brought back bearly 400 hits and I'm on a slow microwave connection so it's going to take me a while to go through all those posts and I just might give up before I find it.

2) I recall reading that the micro-Kahrs are about the same size as a PPK. A PPK is 6 inches and change.

Offline flyandscuba

• Master
  • Ivan, Dennis, and Katrina - enough is enough!
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2005, 12:17:51 AM »
I hear ya...but, I took the R9 out of my front jeans pocket -- and put the PM40 in it's place as my daily carry.  It is no more uncomfortable to carry or difficult to remove.

Now, the all-metal Kahrs may be a little different -- but the company website gives the same dimensions for both.

I think the most noticable difference you'll see is in the height of the two guns -- as illustrated in this review of the R9

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/R9.htm
« Last Edit: December 20, 2005, 12:25:19 AM by flyandscuba »
I'm not a gun expert -- but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night...

Offline Fud

• Master
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2005, 12:29:39 AM »
This is what I found ...

... looks bigger the 0.1 inches.

Offline Fud

• Master
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2005, 02:32:23 AM »

... again, looks like there is more than a 0.1 inch difference.

Offline Rocnerd

• Master
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2005, 08:44:30 AM »
I agree.  It sure does look like there is more than 0.1 inches in size difference.  I know that when I first got the R9 I compared it to the range guys PM9 and there wasn't as much difference as I thought there would have been.  We shot the two and I was impressed with the Kahr, but the R9 definitely has an edge in trigger pull and pocketability.