Author Topic: Well, I'm looking at my new R9.  (Read 5013 times)

Offline chameleon

• Grand Master
Well, I'm looking at my new R9.
« on: August 17, 2005, 11:04:51 PM »
Thanks to all you forum members for all the support over the last nine months.It really helped to hear the stories of ownership, and news from the factory.
As stated by so many others that had to do their share of waiting, it was well worth it.
The R9s were delivered to the dealer this morning, and early evening I took the hour drive to pick it up.
I bought some 115 GR. Goldots, and some of the recommended lube. I can't tell you when I will head to the range, but it will not be this weekend.

Hey, feel free to jump in, and HiJack the thread ;D

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Re: Well, I'm looking at my new R9.
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2005, 11:26:42 PM »
"I love it when a plan comes together."   ;D

Congratulations!  Enjoy!
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline chameleon

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2005, 11:32:31 PM »
Yes, thank You.

I have the new R9 sitting on the table, it is completely unloaded, except for a snap cap in the chamber.
 I was summoned upstairs, so I stand up, look down at the little, light gun, and I place it in my pants pocket, no holster.

I run upstairs, get involved with a project, and spend, ohh, twenty minutes up there.
 I came back downstairs, get back on the computer, and think about this forum again, and then I looked at the table where the R9 once sat, and it was gone!

I never felt it in my pocket, and forgot I placed it there.
Well, I just laughed to myself, but I would say it is a good sign that it will concele that well.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2005, 11:38:13 PM »
That's the way it goes!  Welcome to the club!    ;)

Oh, by the way -- nice set of wheels!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2005, 11:39:37 PM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2005, 12:28:41 PM »
Have fun with the new pup. Give us a report on the range trip.   Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline Erich

• Expert
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2005, 04:34:21 PM »
I got mine yesterday, too! I'm afraid I took the Generation X instant gratification route, though, and ordered it just the other day from a dealer in Arkansas who had ten of them. I probably paid more than you did, though!

Congratulations!

Offline chameleon

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2005, 08:37:00 PM »
Hey Erich, congrats on your non-wait, and your new R9.

For me, it was not a question of money as much as it is loyalty to a friend, who just happens to be a dealer.
I arranged to get six guys together and ordered them at one time.
I am hoping that I can show some people my R9, and get him six more customers, but I hope the wait is like the four months they are talking about.

So, Erich, how do you like your new little 9mm?
Mine will soon be my EDC. ( Every Day Carry)

Offline Erich

• Expert
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2005, 10:06:06 AM »
That's nice - my friends who were dealers are now all out of the business.  :(

I'm astonished with the quality of construction, the ease of takedown and re-assembly (I know that goes against the common wisdom, but it's my experience), and the ease of cleaning. I found that it shoots accurately and points better than any other pistol for me. I am working on determining whether my grip is what caused some reliability issues - will do a second range visit this weekend to test out the theory developed by myself and Eddie and Karl at the factory (and that's all I want to say on that subject right now).

I shot the R9s at 7 yds with Remington/UMC cheap-o 115-gr JHPs (15, palm-sized group, no keyholing), with Federal 147-gr Hydra-Shoks (5, half-dollar-sized group at point of aim, some indications of bullets beginning to tumble), with CCI Blazer FMJ (50, palm-sized groups, some clear and classic keyholing), with S&B FMJ (10 rounds, very tight group, I became concerned that this European ammo might be too warm for the no+P Rohrbaugh), and with CCI Blazer Brass FMJ (50, bigger group than the aluminum Blazer, some keyholing). I intend to try again (at 10 yds this time, min. distance at the range where I'll be going) with Winchester Silvertip 115-grainers (what Karl Rohrbaugh carries and recommends) this weekend.

The gun is so tightly made that it dirties up very quickly. If you follow Rohrbaugh's advice and pull the slide to clean and re-lube every 50 rounds you should be fine: I found that I began having jams at round #65 (out of 130 total fired when I picked the gun up on Wednesday), and that they got steadily worse until the end of my session. When I went to clean up, though, I found that the polish of the materials was such that I was able to literally wipe the fouling off with a solvent-saturated patch - like on those BS TV ads where they supposedly just wipe soap scum away in the shower.

The R9s is better fitted than a SIG P210, a Colt Python, or a Swede Mauser. The engineering is brilliant.

How do you like yours?  :)

Offline Newt

• Master
  • NRA Benefactor Member & Cert. Pistol Instructor
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2005, 10:35:17 AM »
Mine runs good on a diet of 124gr GDHP. The heavy bullets do have a tendencey to key hole out of the short pipe.
No matter how you struggle and strive, you will never get out of this world alive.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2005, 12:42:51 PM »
Mainly for convenience - because I have them - running 124 GD's.  I am OK with those or 115's.

I have long come to accept the tumble tendency when it occurs now and again - I know why and I do not feel it greatly affects the defence potential at all.

All the other plusses outweigh that.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline Erich

• Expert
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2005, 01:26:52 PM »
I agree.

Offline Ubik380

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2005, 04:56:44 PM »
I finally got mine after waiting a whole year! The delay was mainly caused by my desire to have a custom serial number to match my Seecamp .32 and .380. Eric said when I ordered it that I needed to be patient because it woudl take a while to get the letter dies. Then there was the factory move, etc. I'll be trying it this weekend, but until I can get an appropriate holster for it I'll continue carrying the Seecamp .380 which fits comfortably in my back pocket. <p>It is a masterpiece of the gunmaking craft! I was pleasantly surprised to find that is was easier to strip and reassemble than I believed after reading the posts here. Maybe because I had the tools ready: thanks everyone for the helpful information.

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2005, 05:44:01 PM »
Enjoy your new pup and have fun at the range.   Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline Newt

• Master
  • NRA Benefactor Member &amp; Cert. Pistol Instructor
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2005, 08:42:24 PM »
Appropriate holster = RJ Hedley!! :o 8) :D
No matter how you struggle and strive, you will never get out of this world alive.

Offline chameleon

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2005, 09:11:21 PM »
I have not shot mine, but it sure is getting fondeled by all my friends.
I have some Gold Dot 115GR. rounds,and some Silvertips, and want to get some other shoot 'em up stuff.

I didn't field strip it yet.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2005, 08:02:40 AM by chameleon »