Author Topic: Well I'd love to buy a Rohrbaugh R9s, but...  (Read 6132 times)

Offline PsychoSword

• Expert
Well I'd love to buy a Rohrbaugh R9s, but...
« on: August 20, 2005, 06:17:22 AM »
For once in the past couple years I have a few bucks to spare. I've got an MK9 that I use as a carry gun. I've had it for about a year now and pocket carry it everyday. I'd like to buy an R9s, but I can't get over the aluminum frame. I really, really, really want a stainless frame. Any chance in the somewhat near future we'll see one?

Convince me why the couple ounces tradeoff is worth getting an aluminum frame over a stainless one.  8)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2005, 06:18:31 AM by PsychoSword »

Offline TW

• Grand Master
Well I'd love to buy a Rohrbaugh R9s, but...
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2005, 06:29:00 AM »
>>Because being a few more ounces lighter than your normal BUG or CC - you may be inclided to wear it even just a little bit more often than normal, and that might save your life...TW<<

Offline chameleon

• Grand Master
Re: Well I'd love to buy a Rohrbaugh R9s, but...
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2005, 07:54:48 AM »
For the size of the R9, it is the ideal weight. It is propotioned perefectly. :)

Once you hold a R9, and tote it around for a day or so, you get used to the benefit of a light powerful carry piece.

Offline Newt

• Master
  • NRA Benefactor Member &amp; Cert. Pistol Instructor
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2005, 09:23:35 AM »
You don't want to fly in a all steel airplane & ya don't want to tote around an all steel gun every day! ::) :P 8)
No matter how you struggle and strive, you will never get out of this world alive.

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2005, 12:01:42 PM »
Newt - that is good - I need to write that one down.
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away..."

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2005, 12:21:26 AM »
Psycho -- convince me why a stainless frame is better than aluminum alloy?  Are you going to shoot it enough to beat up an alloy frame?  I tend to doubt it.

I don't see an all stainless R-9 in Rohrbaugh's future -- its not consistent with their mission.  There is, however, at least one all stainless frame in existance from the prototype days -- I saw it at the factory.

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline Fud

• Master
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2005, 01:07:12 AM »
I own a R9S and I wouldn't mind an all-steel model ... I think that it would help with the recoil. I also wouldn't mind a SLIGHTLY larger model -- say the size of a PPK ... that was +P rated.

Offline Backup

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2005, 01:29:28 PM »
I had alloy frames in my carry pieces for years. I've also shot a Colt Lightweight Commander for target and fun for years. No problems with thousands of rounds fired. For serious carry I have a Kimber Ultra carry and have put a 1000+ rounds throught it with no problems. The only alloy frames that I have had problems with has been with the S&W autos. I had a .40S&W that cracked at the slide stop.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2005, 03:34:06 PM »
Backup - welcome :)

If the R9 had been made with stainless thru and thru - I would still have got one - and for me personally - I do not mind weight much at all.

That aside - we need to remember that the R9 was produced to be both small and narrow - and - lowest weight possible concomitant with strength.  In that is has succeeded brilliantly.

As also has been mentioned, this is not a gun for countless thousands of rounds - it is purpose made to suit the pocket for carry and be available in extremis.  It fits a definite niche.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2005, 03:52:26 PM »
Weight is a big deal to alot of folks carrying a piece all day long, day after day. Thats one reason why the R9 has an alloy frame.  
Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline chameleon

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2005, 08:57:26 PM »
I would not have purchased  an R9 if it were a heavy gun.
 Kahr made a little nine some time ago, nice but to heavy for me to have in a pocket.

The R9 is light, and narrow. I took the R9 apart last night, and the frame alone is very light. Real nice.

Offline PsychoSword

• Expert
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2005, 02:02:22 AM »
Psycho -- convince me why a stainless frame is better than aluminum alloy?  Are you going to shoot it enough to beat up an alloy frame?  I tend to doubt it.

I don't see an all stainless R-9 in Rohrbaugh's future -- its not consistent with their mission.  There is, however, at least one all stainless frame in existance from the prototype days -- I saw it at the factory.

I want to buy it.  ;D

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2005, 07:59:06 AM »
Psycho:

And I would like to buy that original pair of aluminum grips which adorned the prototype R9 and now reside, I believe, in the company safe.  I doubt that either one of us has the proverbial snowball's chance . . . .  

:P
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2005, 10:08:00 AM »
Yes -- I think you both have the same chance of getting what you want...   ;)
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
r Re: Well I'd love to buy a Rohrbaugh R9s, but...
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2005, 10:25:33 AM »
That would be about the same odds of me, "Being right', in an argument with my Wife !  ::).............or any female, for that matter.   ;)
RJ=