Author Topic: Well I'd love to buy a Rohrbaugh R9s, but...  (Read 6133 times)

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
Re: Well I'd love to buy a Rohrbaugh R9s, but...
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2005, 01:19:17 PM »
Hehe RJ - you obviously therefore have total command of the ''yes dear'' approach LOL! ;D
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline doubletapMike

• Expert
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2005, 01:34:31 PM »
RJ isn't the only one!

Mike
« Last Edit: August 25, 2005, 02:48:53 PM by doubletapMike »
doubletapMike

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2005, 02:13:15 PM »
Well, I have been happily married for five years now,  the other 45 have been, well, something else.  ;D

But over the years I have become smarter,  and realize there are some questions you just NEVER ask, ......or answer..

Just the other day I asked my Sweety, if she was mad at me for something, as she had been acting strange all day.  She said," Yes, she was, but had forgotten what it was !"  ;D
« Last Edit: August 25, 2005, 02:14:26 PM by RHEDLEY »
RJ=

Offline doubletapMike

• Expert
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2005, 02:52:33 PM »
When I wake up in the morning, I just assume I'm in trouble and act accordingly. I never ask what and never admit to anything less I confess to something that I have already gotten away with!
Example - Q- Did you use my car?
              A- No! Absolutely not!
              Q- Oh it looked cleaner, I thought you may have taken it to the car wash.
              A- Oh That. I forgot. I did that the other day.....!

First rule of an urban Guerrilla - Never break cover!

Mike
« Last Edit: August 25, 2005, 02:59:28 PM by doubletapMike »
doubletapMike

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2005, 04:44:05 PM »
You  have it !!   ;D
RJ=

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2005, 10:34:51 PM »
Other general rules of thumb: it is easier[sometimes]
to apologize than to ask permission; try to avoid
asking questions where "no" is a possible answer.

And, finally, in reference to above, one of my favorite
bumper stickers seen on the car of a female driver in
Houston: "Yes, but not with you."

Women tend to drive men to guns.

Offline Newt

• Master
  • NRA Benefactor Member & Cert. Pistol Instructor
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2005, 09:08:51 AM »
Next year will mark 25yrs of marriage to the same woman and I told her I would take her to Hawaii. Then I told her I would come back in a year to pick her up. ;D
No matter how you struggle and strive, you will never get out of this world alive.

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2005, 09:27:38 AM »
Newt

**Trip to Hawaii.

I have that written down as a "will try"..
RJ=

Offline spvwolfy

• Gun & knife nut!!
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2005, 01:26:45 PM »
I would LOVE to buy one of these excellent pistols, but I can't, as they are not sold in my state. (MA.) In fact, I was planning on getting a 1911, but if I could but one of these babies, the 1911 would be by the wayside!! This would be the be all and end all of a carry pistol for me!

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2005, 01:50:13 PM »
Spvwolfy, I am a dealer and might be able to help you. Please e-mail me at tomswatson@sbcglobal.net   Regards, Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline harrydog

• Master
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2005, 05:10:56 PM »
I'm one of those in the minority who would buy an all stainless R9 in a minute if it were available.
I might also keep the aluminum version, but an all stainless would be very nice to have in my opinion. It would be stronger/more durable which might mean that +P ammo could be used if so desired. It would have a bit less recoil. It would not wear as quickly, especially at the frame rails. Ultimately, you could shoot it more and it would last longer. It could be used as your practice gun and the aluminum version could be used as your carry gun. Both could then be handed down to your son someday.  

Maybe the extra strength/durability wouldn't be an issue in reality since you likely wouldn't shoot it THAT much anyway, but the peace of mind would be nice. As to the extra weight, I don't think it would make a huge difference for carry, especially if carried in a waistband holster, which is a better way to carry a pistol in my opinion.

Anyway, it's not likely to be made. Probably about 2 years ago, long before they started actual production of the R9, I had asked Eric if they would make an all stainless version, or perhaps a titanium frame version. He said he doubted a titanium frame, but they were definitely going to make an all stainlees steel version eventually,  after the aluminum frame version was in production for awhile. He took my name and number and promised to let me know when they would be available.
Then, about a year ago, Eric told me that the all stainless version was not going to happen. Probably not enough demand for it. If enough people ask though, who knows... :)

Offline PsychoSword

• Expert
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2005, 04:20:43 AM »
All stainless Rohrbaugh or titanium frame. Or a titanium framed Kahr. Those are my dream carry guns.

Offline jarcher

• Master
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2005, 03:55:40 AM »
When my wife asks if I used her car, I reply that I took it out to put gas in it for her, which is believable because I frequently do.  Not that she minds me taking her car.

I have a theory on the +P restriction.  I wonder if the pistol is perfectly fine with +P, but Rohrbaugh is worried about shooters hurting themselves due to the extra recoil and sueing them.  Just a wild guess.

As to the frame material, how about carbon fiber! Much stronger and lighter than steel or aluminum.  Slide too, that would be sooooo cool!

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2005, 02:23:51 PM »
Jim - I do in fact think the requirement for std ammo is actually a basic one.

Remember the freebore issue, which can make the odd tumbler happen.  Well that is there as a means to help let that max pressure spike dissipate just a tad, before rifling is engraved at which point friction comes in to play.

9mm is necessarily a high pressure round and so while I am pretty sure the pup would digest a lot of +P without being seriously compromized - it would not be wise.

Thinking too with engineering in general - a ''factor of safety'' of five is common with material stresses so as to stay well within safe limits - and so +P would almost certainly not be unsafe - it would tho ''beat up'' the gun harder, even to include the pin perhaps being taken beyond its limit.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline jarcher

• Master
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2005, 02:40:02 PM »
Jim - I do in fact think the requirement for std ammo is actually a basic one.

Thinking too with engineering in general - a ''factor of safety'' of five is common with material stresses so as to stay well within safe limits - and so +P would almost certainly not be unsafe - it would tho ''beat up'' the gun harder, even to include the pin perhaps being taken beyond its limit.

You may very well be right.  Only the Rohrbaugh folks know for sure.  Rest assured, I have no intention of testing my theory or yours!  Standard pressure ammo works for me.