Author Topic: What ammo works in yours  (Read 6252 times)

Offline eye_spy

• mcgrathinvestig ativeservices.c om
What ammo works in yours
« on: October 04, 2010, 04:36:04 PM »
Hey Guys, I am sure this has been covered before, but I figured us new guys could hear from you "old" guys :)

What brand and bullet weight works in your r9 and what have you determined does not?

Mr. Rohrbaugh said that 115 Silver Tips were his brand of choice and they don't feed well in my pup.  I am finding that 147 grain Golden Sabers feed great in mine and I have read tons of reasons why a 147 GR is not the best choice in a shorty.  I am going to try (when I can find them) the 124 Grain Goldens asap.  I would think that if it likes the 147's it should be fine with the same bullet in a 124 gr. (assuming the pup likes the bullet shape).

I would love to hear your opinions.

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
Re: What ammo works in yours
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 05:23:15 PM »
You will probably have to do your own T & E.  While there seems to be a consenus on Winchester white box and Speer Gold Dots, others have their own pet brands which they will chime in on.
I am lucky in that mine will eat anything.
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline Paindoctor

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 06:51:31 PM »
While I'm sworn to secrecy on who this came from...suffice it to say that I got it straight from the "Horse's Mouth" that the recommended ammo is:

-Federal American Eagle 115 gr.
-Winchester White Box 115 gr.
both for target practice,

and

-Gold Dots
-Silver Tips
for defensive ammo.

I have to concur. I was having severe failure to fires, and when I switched to any of the above mentioned ammunition, my problem was over faster than you can say "Rohrbaugh". They all performed flawlessly in my Stealth Elite.

Hope this helps.
Paindoctor
"...and when you run (a legit pain clinic) nowadays...your Rohrbaugh is never far away..." - Thanks to Karl, Maria, and Jim of Hiddenholsters.net - 'The Very Best' in custom concealment

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 07:10:31 PM »
 The above post covers the recommended ammo, my advice is try anything you have or can get (that is NOT +P) and find what the pup likes and you are comfortable shooting.
My pup will feed and fire anything I have tried from Federal
95 gr JSP to Winchester Ranger 147gr. I have tried about eight different brands and four different bullet weights and they all work in mine.

John
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 09:13:18 PM by yankee2500 »
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 07:30:23 PM »
Yep!  Use whatever suits your R9 the best.  Some will shoot anything, others like a certain brand; my ammo of choice is Winchester 115 gr. Silvertips.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010, 07:55:58 PM »

Heard it.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2010, 08:02:16 PM »
Have you now, Tom Wilson!    ;D
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2010, 08:12:17 PM »

Yes, indeed; ad nauseam, ad infinitum.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2010, 08:21:59 PM »
WOW!  

Offline cooperr1234

• Expert
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2010, 08:34:52 PM »
I put gold dots in mine, havent shot any yet but will in a couple of days.

Offline prelude9569

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2010, 10:34:51 PM »
Wwb & 115grain gold dots works fine in mine ;D

Offline bama

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2010, 01:50:33 AM »
Gold Dots (115 & 124g)
WWB 115g
Blazer Brass 115g

All work fine.
Dr John Meade
Director of Tactical Medicine
Suarez International

Offline RickP

• Expert
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2010, 09:29:09 AM »
I use Speer 115 GDHP for carry and did use 115 WWB for range. Tried a box of American Eagle 115 for the range and it seemed to be much cleaner than the WWB. Just bought a box of Speer Lawman 115 range ammo, http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/product_info.php/pName/50rds-9mm-speer-lawman-115gr-tmj-ammo/cName/9mm-fmj-ammo. Haven't shot any yet but if it performs as advertised, I will make that my range ammo.

Rick

Offline PsychoSword

• Expert
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2010, 10:30:02 PM »
I used WWB 115gr. for target and 124gr. standard pressure Gold Dots for carry. Sometimes I carried WWB..

Both worked well, never shot any other ammo, but I'm sure American Eagle 115gr. would work fine too.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2010, 08:46:09 AM »
Hey Guys, I am sure this has been covered before, but I figured us new guys could hear from you "old" guys :)

What brand and bullet weight works in your r9 and what have you determined does not?

Mr. Rohrbaugh said that 115 Silver Tips were his brand of choice and they don't feed well in my pup.  I am finding that 147 grain Golden Sabers feed great in mine and I have read tons of reasons why a 147 GR is not the best choice in a shorty.  I am going to try (when I can find them) the 124 Grain Goldens asap.  I would think that if it likes the 147's it should be fine with the same bullet in a 124 gr. (assuming the pup likes the bullet shape).

I would love to hear your opinions.

I used to carry 147 grain Remington Golden Sabers in my R9, which digested them without complaint. I've now changed over to 124 grain ammunition (Remington Golden Sabers or Speer Gold Dots -- standard pressure, of course) for compatibility with my HK P7. The P7 was designed for the 115/124 grain NATO round and can occasionally have the timing of its gas-retarded recoil system thrown off by a 147 grain bullet.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"