Author Topic: To coat or not to coat....  (Read 5685 times)

Offline Harley

To coat or not to coat....
« on: October 22, 2012, 10:10:00 PM »
I have a question for folks who have had their R9's NP3/NP3+ refinished.  The list of "do-not-coat" parts from Rohrbaugh includes the hammer.  Have you all followed this direction?  If so, how does the appearance of the exposed, un-coated hammer look next to the back of the NP3-finished slide?  In general, have you followed the full "do-not-coat" list (extractor, ejector, sear/trigger bar, hammer, springs and grip screws)?  Thanks.

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
Re: To coat or not to coat....
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 11:22:13 PM »
I am just curious why you bring this up.  The factory has it reasons for not wanting certain parts coated.  Believe it or not friction can be good in certain areas of firearm function.  And you are dealing with a weapon designed to defend your life.  Why instigate taking chances?

Don't get me wrong.  I have two EDC that are NP3'd.  And I love the coating.  But I sure would not go against any professional recommendations.

If I have misread any intentions, I do seriously apologize.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 11:24:49 PM by Reinz »
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline Harley

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 07:56:08 AM »
Reinz,

Thanks for the perspective and question - both are very helpful and appreciated.  My intention was two-fold: 1) my R9 is going to be spending a lot of time in a salt water environment (i.e. in an oceanfront location) and I was interested in having as much of the "exposed" surface coated as possible; and 2) from a purely appearance perspective, I'd like my pup to look as good as possible!

Thanks again.

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012, 10:07:28 AM »
The Poly T2 finish is a tougher more durable, more corrosive resistant finish than NP3+ and it's only slightly less lubricious.

http://www.robarguns.com/poly_t2.html

Offline Z

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 10:19:56 AM »
Reinz,

Thanks for the perspective and question - both are very helpful and appreciated.  My intention was two-fold: 1) my R9 is going to be spending a lot of time in a salt water environment (i.e. in an oceanfront location) and I was interested in having as much of the "exposed" surface coated as possible; and 2) from a purely appearance perspective, I'd like my pup to look as good as possible!

Thanks again.

Robar recommends N3P PLUS for a firearm that will spend time near salt water.

Offline Z

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 10:22:25 AM »
The Poly T2 finish is a tougher more durable, more corrosive resistant finish than NP3+ and it's only slightly less lubricious.

I would still recommend not coating the parts that Rohrbaugh states not to coat reegardless of what finish is applied.

Offline T-Man

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2012, 12:05:27 PM »

I don't want to sound argumentative, but with all due respect, that's incorrect.  NP3+ is still the toughest, most corrosion resistant finish Robar offers, due to the nickel.  Poly T2 is a PTFE (Teflon) based spray-on epoxy finish.  NP3+ is a nickel-teflon electroless plating (nickel infused with PTFE), not a spray-on finish.  NP3+ is many times more wear-resistant, and scored the highest by far in their salt spray corrosion testing.  Don't know which is more lubricious; they're probably about the same in that regard, as both contain PTFE particles, and nickel is itself "slick."

Poly T2 is indeed a more advanced, tougher and more corrosion resistant finish than their other spray and bake finishes -- Roguard and Polymax, but it's nowhere near as durable as NP3+.
Ted

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2012, 01:31:20 PM »
I don't mind sounding argumentative, it's a gun forum and we  sometimes argue about gun stuff.   :)

I'm just basing my comment on a phone call to Robar.  I asked which was a more durable corrosion resistant finish and the lady said Poly-T2 (she could have been wrong, or it could have been a std sales pitch, but I'm just passing along what she said).

She also said that NP3+ is more slippery.

Personally, I like NP3+ better, I like the way it looks, and I like that it is so slippery.

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2012, 01:33:02 PM »
Reinz,

Thanks again.

Understood ;)

Thanks!
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2012, 01:34:40 PM »

I don't want to sound argumentative, but with all due respect, that's incorrect.  NP3+ is still the toughest, most corrosion resistant finish Robar offers, due to the nickel.  Poly T2 is a PTFE (Teflon) based spray-on epoxy finish.  NP3+ is a nickel-teflon electroless plating (nickel infused with PTFE), not a spray-on finish.  NP3+ is many times more wear-resistant, and scored the highest by far in their salt spray corrosion testing.  Don't know which is more lubricious; they're probably about the same in that regard, as both contain PTFE particles, and nickel is itself "slick."

Poly T2 is indeed a more advanced, tougher and more corrosion resistant finish than their other spray and bake finishes -- Roguard and Polymax, but it's nowhere near as durable as NP3+.

+1  Have to agree, the NP3+ is there most corrosion resistant finish and longest wearing.
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2012, 01:36:25 PM »
FYI - Robar does not finish the inside of the barrels or chambers, springs, sears, small pins or plungers - from their FAQ.