Author Topic: Well... I joined the club!  (Read 11859 times)

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
Re: Well... I joined the club!
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2012, 06:13:20 PM »
People have different thinking on this I'm sure, but I'd be using the R9 as a carry piece and IMO, based on most of the incidents I've read about or seen, these violent encounters happen at close range, they happen extremely quickly, and they are usually over within a couple of seconds.

So I feel good about getting an R9.  It doesn't prepare me for every scenario under the sun but I feel it covers most of them.

It's a carry weapon, I'm not going to be using it to deal with home invaders (#1 Buck for that)
I'm not expecting to use it for zombiepocolypse (not even going to go there)

I think it's a great little pistol.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2012, 06:50:42 PM »
People have different thinking on this I'm sure, but I'd be using the R9 as a carry piece and IMO, based on most of the incidents I've read about or seen, these violent encounters happen at close range, they happen extremely quickly, and they are usually over within a couple of seconds.

So I feel good about getting an R9.  It doesn't prepare me for every scenario under the sun but I feel it covers most of them.

It's a carry weapon, I'm not going to be using it to deal with home invaders (#1 Buck for that)
I'm not expecting to use it for zombiepocolypse (not even going to go there)

I think it's a great little pistol.

Count:

You have "broken the code."   8)
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline T-Man

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2012, 09:24:37 AM »
Agree, Count.

A pistol... any pistol, is a compromise.  It's a last resort, "within spitting distance" weapon.  If a self-defense scenario is anything but up close and personal, then you'll likely have a very difficult time explaining in court why you felt justified in using deadly force in the first place.  I've often heard a pistol's purpose is to help you fight your way to a rifle or shotgun.  The only reason to ever choose any pistol over a rifle or shotgun to defend your life is because you can't carry the latter with you everywhere you go.  Even if you don't use the R9 as your primary carry weapon, its small size means there's very little disadvantage to carrying it with you anyway in a backup role, especially since most pairs of pants have pockets, and the R9 is an infinitely better weapon than a set of car keys.
Ted

Offline Ghost Chili

« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2012, 11:31:42 AM »
Attach your keys to your R9.  Then you have a "ghetto-flail" of sorts once ammo runs out.

Offline T-Man

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2012, 12:05:30 PM »
Haha!  Good idea, Ghost Chili! ;D
Ted

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2012, 06:44:04 PM »
Attach your keys to your R9.  Then you have a "ghetto-flail" of sorts once ammo runs out.

There was a case here in Chicago where a 14 year old girl was robbing a couple, and she started pistol whipping the woman and the gun "accidentally" went off.

Fortunately the bullet didn't stirike anyone

One set of people use the pistol as a bludgeon first, another set of people use the pistol as a bludgeon as a last resort.

Offline Ghost Chili

« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2012, 11:12:29 AM »
14 years old robber....  And Illinois still doesn't allow people to have CCW...  If I ever was to use my gun as a bludgeon, I would make a nunchuck-gun like this example.  Although, I would prefer to skip the tape and utilize a rail or something stronger.   

(Example of nunchuck-gun taken from Strong Bad and HomeStar Runner)

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2012, 02:59:11 PM »
 ;D ;D
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE