Author Topic: What did you carry before your Rohrbaugh?  (Read 4971 times)

Offline kevinqjhps

• Grand Master
What did you carry before your Rohrbaugh?
« on: February 16, 2017, 04:29:58 PM »
Hi,

Still the new guy here but I have a question: I have been looking for the perfect pocket BUG gun FOR 45+ years. I have carried Beretta 21A, Astra .22 short, Astra .25ACP, .25 Colt Junior, .32

Seecamp ( most overrated piece of junk on the planet couldn't go through a mag with 2-3 failures of SOME KIND)  S&W .38 Bodyguard and strangest of all a Security Industries.

The S.I. was made for 2 years in the 1970's. It looks like a S&W Model 60 BUT it has a crowned barrel, recessed cylinder, 5 shot, .357 caliber, and spur hammer. Most people have never heard of it, well most young people. Mine has a three digit series number with box and papers.

What do you carry?

kevinqjhps

p.s. I bought the Astra .22 short, found a extra barrel, and HOPE to find a gunsmith to combine the two to make a longer threaded barrel for my can.   
USMC
Disabled Vet
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
FORMER Cincy Bengals fan
Three times a week shooter
Indy resident

Those who disrespect the American flag have never been handed a folded one

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
Re: What did you carry before your Rohrbaugh?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2017, 10:30:57 AM »
You must have bought a bad Seecamp or, alternatively, you don't understand the specific ammo requirements.  Also the grip screw must not be over tightened.  My two .32 Seecamps always work fine, ditto my R9's.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline kevinqjhps

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2017, 01:28:52 PM »
You must have bought a bad Seecamp or, alternatively, you don't understand the specific ammo requirements.  Also the grip screw must not be over tightened.  My two .32 Seecamps always work fine, ditto my R9's.

Seecamp stated to ONLY use Silvertips. Field stripping and clean/lubing MANY times made no difference. It was just a plain POS. Sadly this was during the time when, according to Larry Scamp, "times were hard." During this 6-8 month period they SOLD guns but didn't REPAIR guns. He ADMITTED they didn't answer the phones or return mail. THAT is the kind of person Seecamp is!
USMC
Disabled Vet
NRA
FORMER Cincy Bengals fan
Indy resident

Offline Izzy

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2017, 02:10:37 PM »
For the past several years I have and still carry a Seecamp 380 with a mag extension or more recently the R9S Stealth depending on the size requirements. Not one failure of any kind in 100+ rounds w/Seecamp and in about the same 100+ w/R9S. I already tried the following types of ammo:
Fed 90gr Hydra Shok JHP
Winchester Silver Tips
Horndy 90gr FTX Crit Def

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience with one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2017, 03:42:31 PM »
Seecamp stated to ONLY use Silvertips. Field stripping and clean/lubing MANY times made no difference. It was just a plain POS. Sadly this was during the time when, according to Larry Scamp, "times were hard." During this 6-8 month period they SOLD guns but didn't REPAIR guns. He ADMITTED they didn't answer the phones or return mail. THAT is the kind of person Seecamp is!
[/quote]

I need to chime in here. If Larry Seecamp ever made a gun with a flaw, it was not done on purpose. I've owned all that he ever made...all w/o problems. Did problem guns exist? I would think so. I also know that Larry always fixed his mistakes. Towards the end, he had labor problems & health problems. I would rather judge someone on the majority of their life and not just on the end of their life. To call a Seecamp a POS tells me that maybe you need an education as to what POS guns in this industry really are. A Seecamp is not one of them.
Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone!

Offline kevinqjhps

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2017, 06:23:42 PM »
[/color]

I need to chime in here. If Larry Seecamp ever made a gun with a flaw, it was not done on purpose. I've owned all that he ever made...all w/o problems. Did problem guns exist? I would think so. I also know that Larry always fixed his mistakes. Towards the end, he had labor problems & health problems. I would rather judge someone on the majority of their life and not just on the end of their life. To call a Seecamp a POS tells me that maybe you need an education as to what POS guns in this industry really are. A Seecamp is not one of them.
[/quote]

You work for CNN or something? Then don't misquote me! I said MY Seecamp was a POS, not ALL Seecamps. If you are still MAKING THEM you should have a OBLIGATION to repair what you sell. If it was made correctly the first time I wouldn't have had those problems, it would have functioned right. 

As to ammo it was stamped in the owners manual on almost every page "USE ONLY WINCHESTER SILVERTIP AMMO."
USMC
Disabled Vet
NRA
FORMER Cincy Bengals fan
Indy resident

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2017, 06:34:00 PM »
No, I don't work for CNN. And secondly, I did not misquote you. All this coming from a guy who purchases a gun from an unknown on GB with 0 feedback. Good luck with that. Oh, I forgot to mention to you that this Forum is made up of a whole bunch of nice, smart, technical, & caring guys. We welcome you as a new member...just tone it down a bit.
Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone!

Offline kevinqjhps

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2017, 05:20:00 PM »
This is going to be interesting.

Actually it is quite simple. Cargaritaville got himself caught telling a LIE and then wasn't man enough to admit it so he tried to change the subject to take the heat off himself. Moral? Don't DELIBERATELY misquote people trying to stir things up and hide your lies and everything runs smooth.  :) :) Even the "NICE, SMART, TECHNICAL GUYS"  as cargaritaville put it would probably agree. Him? Character shows.

Sorry if this post upset others but I did NOT state it it, cargaritaville did, and will NOT be picked on by some internet troll, or anyone else, looking to boost his own ego by picking on the new guy.

Respectfully,
kevinqjhps
USMC
Disabled Vet
NRA
FORMER Cincy Bengals fan
Indy resident

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2017, 08:25:47 PM »

I removed the posts when this went seriously off track.  No personal attacks on the forum.  Reasoned and principled disagreement is allowed.  Closing this one for now.
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com