Author Topic: Looking for a Weatherby Rifle  (Read 6954 times)

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
Looking for a Weatherby Rifle
« on: October 29, 2019, 01:17:03 PM »
Another bug has bitten me. I was recently at a gun show & held a Weatherby rifle.....I want one! I have no idea what caliber to purchase. I've been told older is better. These are beautiful guns. I want one with a scope to take to the outdoor range here and have some fun. Any ideas?

https://weatherby.com/store/mark-v-deluxe/
« Last Edit: October 29, 2019, 01:21:55 PM by cargaritaville »
Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone!

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
Re: Looking for a Weatherby Rifle
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2019, 02:28:39 PM »
I may have a lead for you.

Herself has a Weatherby that we have not shot.  Got it years ago and never put a scope on it, still in original box.  It's in .300 Win Mag and may be a bit much for her.  We are planning on shooting one of my .300s this weekend.  If it hits too hard for her, I will recommend she sell/trade it and let you know.

One thing you do need to know is that finding a decent gloss finished scope is going to be problematic if that's important to you.  Leupold no longer makes them in that finish.  Their custom shop will make you one and coat it in a gloss black finish for about $250 over the price of a new one.  The used market is just about the only way to find a decent high gloss finish optic.

How I love the look of expensive wood and a deep blue finish on a rifle, it just does not seem the folks buying rifles these days agree.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2019, 05:47:38 PM by MikeInTexas »

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2019, 05:46:44 PM »
Well we went to the range today.  I suggested she try the Remington Managed Recoil rounds before trying a full bore hunting load.  After two shots she wanted to try the stronger stuff.  She ended up shooting the entire box of Federal Fusion 180 gr soft points.  I was like you were only supposed to try and see if you can handle them, she responded with I like it.

So we are now looking for a gloss finished scope and rings to put on the Weatherby we have stashed.

Sorry cargaritaville, ain't got nothing to tempt you with now.

We also broke the seal on a new CZ75 P01 compact pistol.  Great shooting gun.  Was able to pick up one with the NATO Stock Number on it in green. Would recommend if you are in the market for a metal, hammer fired, 9mm with a accessory rail on the front.

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2019, 10:17:07 PM »
Great news!!! Enjoy.
Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone!

Offline chrisodasso@comcast.net

• Expert
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2019, 11:58:22 PM »
Well, about two years ago, I bought a 460. I did it because, even at 60 years old, I could remember the impression it left on me, back when I was 16.  I had memorized a complete caliber book of muzzle energies, bullet weights and velocities.  I would read through it every couple weeks or so, and at the end, the 460 was at the top, even making the 458 Winchester Magnum a lowly second.  It is an approved, “whale cartridge”, although what kind of no-good would ever want to kill a whale, I don’t know?!
A couple of well-known hunters have said that it’s performance is suspect,  because it has too much speed for the size of bullet. Others counter that newer bullet designs have taken care of that problem. But that didn’t matter to me, because my intended purpose was, upon my surmise,  to leave it to my two cousins, with a note for them to employ it shooting salamanders at our camp pond.  It’s kind of the same hunting as shooting whales, I guess, but salamanders don’t conjure up the same feelings of endearment.
Anyway, the bequest would be a humerous upgrade from the Dasies we carried, as kids.  I did end up selling it, though; I knew it was ridiculous. My cousins would just end up complaining about the cost of ammo.
I did shoot at 257 Weatherby Magnum for about 15 years.  My father was a handyman for a wealthy coal mine owner, and the man gave it to my dad, as a gift.  It was truly fabulous; it was a terror on groundhogs and whitetails. Easy to reload, it had absolutely wicked looking cartridges, that I’d steel- wool up to a gleaming finish.  The bullets matched the overall exotic appearance of the rifle.  It absolutely shamed all the 760 Remington Gamemasters on the gun racks at deer camp.  That customized Mark V just spoke to a proud 16-year-old kid and more than a few envious uncles and interlopers, waiting out the night.

• Expert
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2019, 10:40:57 AM »
     Upon “my demise”, not surmise!  Darn, it’s true-nothing looks as good, in the morning light.
     But I should add, that hunting was a pretty serious thing in my family. Whenever I would bring that rifle, my father would always look disgusted and say, “well, you better shoot for the neck; that gun ruins too much meat.
     To sum up my experience with the 257, the rifle yawned at any challenge under 400 yards.

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2019, 11:06:59 AM »
  It absolutely shamed all the 760 Remington Gamemasters on the gun racks at deer camp. 

Chris, I understand your feelings.

That was always the some of the best times at deer camp, seeing what others had brought.  We never had the money to get the nicest stuff, but we always had good, solid firearms.  Like the new pickup, you like to show off your gear to your friends, and a nice firearm always appeals to me.

Be glad you never got bit by the .340 Weatherby bug, that is the most brutal recoiling caliber I've ever shot (had a .458 Win Mag and still shoot my .50 BMG)

• Expert
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2019, 12:43:17 PM »
Those guys are just about all gone now, for me. But how lucky we were to be there!

Offline johnny

• Master
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2019, 06:26:40 PM »
  Didn't know Weatherby was still around.Went on their website.What a beautiful gun.

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2019, 11:16:02 PM »
cargaritaville, you ain't gonna believe this.

Found a high gloss scope.  It's a Weatherby branded, 2 3/4 x 10, made by Hertal & Ruess in Germany.  It has both adjustment turrets on the top.

Only problem is that it was attached to a Mark V in .270 Weatherby Mag.  The rifle was West German made in 1961.  Nice wood, nice condition of the bluing for a rifle that age.

Yes, it came home.

I'll try and get some pictures up. 

Never know what gem you will find at a gun show.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 08:15:06 AM by MikeInTexas »

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2019, 08:43:35 AM »
That's a keeper!

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2019, 11:10:18 AM »
I hope so, found a ding in the muzzle this morning when cleaning it up.  Hope she shoots well.
Off to find dies and ammo today.  Our range is closed today and tomorrow, oh how I want to shoot it.

• Expert
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2019, 12:41:06 AM »
I wasn’t gonna say anything, because I felt kind of out of control, but since Mike confessed, I will too.  Cargaritaville, I ended up buying a 257 Weatherby and the 300 as well! 
I don’t know how to attach photos here, but the 257 was a custom German gun. And the 300 came from a place called Skeeters Wearherby. He has some other nice ones, if you’re still interested.

• Expert
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2019, 12:55:41 AM »
Mike, what a classic scope!  You had no choice.
Well it’s decades later, but by gollie, we have some lookers now.

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2019, 10:47:10 AM »
Mike, what a classic scope!  You had no choice.
Well it’s decades later, but by gollie, we have some lookers now.

I'm going to check them out...thanks!