Author Topic: Sticking/hard to move slide  (Read 14423 times)

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
Re: Sticking/hard to move slide
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2017, 03:29:22 PM »
My thoughts exactly and it is very possible that it left the factory with a tight slide fit that would otherwise fire normally.

Offline kevinqjhps

• Grand Master
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2017, 05:08:50 PM »
My thoughts exactly and it is very possible that it left the factory with a tight slide fit that would otherwise fire normally.

Don't think I would agree with that. Eric was the ONLY one who built these, unlike Kel Tec's, and if there wasANY issues he would have addressed it. I will get it apart this week and am sure it is a recoil spring, guide rod, or someone MAY have dropped the frame on a concrete surface enough to throw it off a bit.

Once apart I will lap the slide/rails and use a straight edge on them. Time will tell. 
USMC
Disabled Vet
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
FORMER Cincy Bengals fan
Three times a week shooter
Indy resident

Those who disrespect the American flag have never been handed a folded one

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2017, 05:28:15 PM »
You had probably rather not but you could send it to Alex at William's Gunsight to look at it.

Offline kevinqjhps

• Grand Master
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2017, 05:32:23 PM »
You had probably rather not but you could send it to Alex at William's Gunsight to look at it.

IF I can't fix it I surely will.
USMC
Disabled Vet
NRA
FORMER Cincy Bengals fan
Indy resident

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2017, 06:36:21 PM »
Hey Guys, sorry but I'm just reading this now, along with a PM to me from Kevin (who, after speaking with him on the phone last Saturday, is a very cool guy by the way).  ;-)

Anyway, hmmmmm . . . . . . (thinking going on in this space). . . . . . I remember something like that happening on just a couple of R9s through the years and it was something minor and an easy fix, even by the owner in the field. Hey Kevin. . . . If you can remove the slide, I'd like to see if you could possibly take a look at the recessed area of the frame where the barrel lug slides back and forth in. We had an issue, for some unforeseen reason, where a burr would build up there from a "stacking of the tolerances" of the barrel / barrel pin / to frame fit and this caused a burr to slow down the action ever so slightly in a manner similar to what you describe here. The fix was very easy. . . . Take a small fine file and remove the burr, which was located in that recessed area of the frame. Simple fix really. With the slide and barrel removed, you have direct access to that area unihbited from the front of the frame and take smooth short strokes to flatten that area out where the barrel rides in. If you can get the slide off and take and post a few photographs, that would even be better. Let me know what you find good Sir. Get back to us when you can. . . . . People waiting to help you here. . . We’ll get that taken care of, "no biggie".

Regards,

Eric R. 
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline kevinqjhps

• Grand Master
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2017, 07:51:20 AM »
Got slide off. Being smarter than stronger figured I put a 1/16th allen wrench in the open position. I then positioned the small take down hole over it. With a pair of heave leather gloves I got the slide to move enough to line up. It popped out in seconds.

Eric was right.There is a small issue with the rear of the frame rail, bright worn spot, so I will take his advice and attempt to dig out my old machinist files and hit the high spot. I think I will also take Trackers advice and use some valve grinding compound to smooth the rails slick.

Inside it was as dry as King Tut's bones. Looks like it was never cleaned or lubed.

Thanks for all the input and ideas. Collectively that's what makes this such a great site.

Kevin   
USMC
Disabled Vet
NRA
FORMER Cincy Bengals fan
Indy resident

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2017, 11:11:26 AM »
Good to hear this Kevin. . . . . .  ::)  . . . . Now get to work man!   Ha haa . . . . .   ;D
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.