Author Topic: Which gun to sell for R9s?  (Read 9051 times)

Offline ArnelO

Which gun to sell for R9s?
« on: August 24, 2005, 01:12:14 AM »
Hi all,

I am new here and wanted to say hello and also ask for your opinion.  I live in Florida and usually wear dress slacks for work and jeans or shorts on the weekends.  I need an extremely concealable gun and the R9s looks like it could be perfect.  I'm heading to a gun show this weekend in Miami and plan to sell some guns to get the $900 or so to hopefully pick up an R9s also at the show.

Which of the guns below would you choose to sell and why? (I'm leaning toward selling the Glocks but probably won't get enough for them to afford the R9s)

Here's the list:

S&W 340pd - slightly sticks out of dress slacks pocket and has a serious kick shooting 357s

HK P7 (european mag release) - too heavy for pocket carry but what a great gun!

Glock 27 - too bulky for pocket carry

Glock 23 - definitly way too big for pocket carry

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Thanks,
Arnel

Offline flyandscuba

• Master
  • Ivan, Dennis, and Katrina - enough is enough!
Re: Which gun to sell for R9s?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2005, 02:08:04 AM »
Keep the P7 (they're not making any more) and sell the others.

BTW my R9s does quite well in business casual attire pocket carry here in NW Florida...
« Last Edit: August 24, 2005, 02:08:29 AM by flyandscuba »
I'm not a gun expert -- but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night...

Offline TW

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2005, 07:00:57 AM »
>>I agree with Fly...only I think you should give me a steal of a deal on that S&W, see...

And welcome to the forum...!...TW<<

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2005, 08:41:03 AM »
ArnelO:

Welcome to the Forum.

I agree with Fly and TW.  (Besides, if TW wants that S&W enough, you might turn a real profit.   ;) )
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline ArnelO

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2005, 09:05:22 AM »
Thanks for the welcome  :)

Currentyl, I carry the 340pd in a custom leather ankle rig.  I've had it for about a year and love how light it is.  I usually forget that it's even there... unfortunately, it looks a little funny while wearing shorts  :P

TW, let me know if you're serious, and we can work something out...

I do like my G27 a lot since I'm able to shoot pretty well with it am qualified to carry through my office.  The wife likes the G23 but she doesn't shoot that much so I don't think she'll miss it  ;)

I probably will keep the P7 since I love the unique design.

From what I hear, the R9s is a little picky with ammo.  I usually use Pro-load, which hopefully should be fine.  Will using higher power rounds be ok?  Many of the cops I work with tell me to stay above 9mm.

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2005, 09:18:55 AM »
Welcome to the forum, ArnelO.

The one special restriction is that  +P is not permitted.

Bill

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2005, 01:22:11 PM »
Arelno, Welcome to the forum. I also think its wise to keep the P7 and sell the rest. Later, if you want one of those again you can just go out and buy it. I use Gold Dot 124 gr, no problems.  Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline ArnelO

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2005, 02:09:17 PM »
Thanks everyone.

Your advice makes a lot of sense.  All of the other guns are still currently being produced so it won't be difficult to buy them again later on.

Another question I have is if you think it's worth it to wait and see what the new Rohrbaughs will be... maybe another R9 that can handle +P  ;D  I'm not really in a rush and am concerned about carrying standard 9mm instead of the .357 rounds.  I'd hate to get the R9 if something better is released somewhat soon.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2005, 03:28:09 PM »
I'm betting that the new Rohrbaugh(s) will be in a different caliber than 9mm -- possibly .380 ACP, or .45 ACP or GAP.  I would recommend that you go ahead and order one of the R9s.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2005, 05:19:28 PM »
Arleno, On another thread, the difference in 9mm ammo and 9mm +P is only about 50fps out of a 2" bbl. So why go to +P? It is not the end all to end all.  A bad guy is not going to know the difference between the 9mm and the +P. Any new Rohrbaugh models are going to be down the road a bit. The R bros may show new models at the SHOT SHOW in Feb 2006. The shipment of new models will happen some time after that, perhaps months. I would just get a R9s now, put it in your pocket, feel safe and go about your business.   Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline ArnelO

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2005, 08:46:36 PM »
I guess the consensus is sell everything except the P7 and buy the R9 now... hopefully, I can find one at the gun show to see and feel  ;D  It's a shame that I can't rent one to shoot first!

My major concern is stepping down from the .40 and .357 to a regular 9mm and also that the R9 is a little picky with ammunition.  My Glocks and 340PD are extremely reliable.  I hope I'll be able to say the same about the R9.

Thanks again for everyone's advice  :)

Offline TW

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2005, 10:10:56 PM »
I guess the consensus is sell everything except the P7 and buy the R9 now... hopefully, I can find one at the gun show to see and feel  ;D  It's a shame that I can't rent one to shoot first!

My major concern is stepping down from the .40 and .357 to a regular 9mm and also that the R9 is a little picky with ammunition.  My Glocks and 340PD are extremely reliable.  I hope I'll be able to say the same about the R9.

Thanks again for everyone's advice  :)

>>ArnelO...

Where do you live...?  I ask because on more than one occasion we have been able to hook up folks, like yourself wanting to see and try an R9, with R9 owners from this board.  I live in Northern Virginia, and my main shooting range is about 45 minutes away in Maryland...and you are certainly welcome to try out my R9(s) if you like...TW<<

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2005, 10:20:53 PM »
arnelO - late to the thread - but welcome to you:)

The others have said all that needs said really.  I would tho suggest some browsing thru this site and if of interest - take a peek at my FAQ mini site (link in my sig).

Once you have read up more info then I think you'll be better placed to make decisions - I do know that selling off guns is always traumatic, even if for good purpose.  I need to ''thin my herd'' a bit if truth know - partly cos I want a Smith 460!!
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline ArnelO

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2005, 10:46:28 PM »
TW, I appreciate the offer... that's very kind of you.  I'm down in Miami, Florida so it's just a little far  :(

R9SCarry, I'll definitely take a look at your FAQ mini site.  I've been feverishly reading through the site and am learning a ton of information!  It definitely is traumatic selling almost all my guns but I also know that I need to have a good, reliable gun with me at all times, which is why I am really interested in the R9s.

Thank you all for your warm welcomes and for taking the time to help this poor newbie... you guys are great  ;D

Offline PsychoSword

• Expert
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2005, 02:00:40 AM »
I would sell the Glunks and keep the P7 and 340pd if it's a pre-lock model.