Author Topic: Guinnessdog reunited with pup, range report  (Read 8123 times)

Offline capt.koolaid

• Expert
Re: Guinnessdog reunited with pup, range report
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2006, 02:38:54 AM »
I'm not speaking for Capt.Koolaid, but if he's on the force, a number of departments now require you to qualifty with ANY firearm you carry, including backups and off-duty carry.  The course of fire is sometimes abridged for backups, e.g., lower round counts, closer distances, drawing weapon from location carried (e.g., ankle holster, vest holster, pocket, ect.)

We dont have to qualify with it in the same holster/carry configuration, But This is our departments rule, some departments in Ohio do not follow this requirement for off-dutys or backups.

Offline Guinnessdog

« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2006, 02:53:01 PM »
The pup's going back to the factory again. Now the hammer strut or mainspring or something broke, there is no tension on the hammer, it just flops around.

Also, the right front grip screw seems to be stripped.

I'll let you know what happens.

Offline TXAGGIECHL

« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2006, 03:31:21 PM »
That's crazy!  Your R9 has been back about 3 times now right?  Seems like everyone involved would be better off if Rohrbaugh stepped up and gave you a new gun...although FedEx might be a little disappointed...but hey, at least they got 6 trips out of you  :-/

You & Rohrbaugh are probably pushing upwards of $250-300 in shipping now for the R9!  

Offline Guinnessdog

« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2006, 05:49:39 PM »
Why do you think I'm kicking myself for not buying a new one in the first place? Although, in fairness, this is trip number 2 to the factory, I've spent way more trying to resolve issues than I saved in the initial expense of the gun.

I don't know what I was thinking, I never buy cheap tools because I know they'll be more expensive in the long run...

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2006, 06:41:30 PM »
I read that Texas requires qualification on every carry
gun for law enforcement officers.

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2006, 10:24:25 PM »
The pup's going back to the factory again. Now the hammer strut or mainspring or something broke, there is no tension on the hammer, it just flops around.

Guinness - I have been tracking Rohrbaughs from day one and have never heard of this problem.  Interesting to find out what caused it.

Sorry guy you are going through all this.  I have two and never a problem - not to make you feel bad - hope it works out for you in the long run.  Maybe ask Roughbaugh if they will buy this one back and then call Tom Watson for a new one.

One of my great pups:  Picture was really taken for a Bose knife forum post but didn't use it there - so figured why waste it - always nice to see a R9.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2006, 11:44:23 AM by MountainMan »
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away..."

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2006, 12:26:04 AM »
Sure seems one heck of a sorry tale of woe :(
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline capt.koolaid

• Expert
« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2006, 05:35:13 PM »
I read that Texas requires qualification on every carry
gun for law enforcement officers.

Alot of states are doing that.  It seems to discourage officers who have and have used backup guns to keep those that would scream allegations of "drop gun".  

Guiness, Man I feel bad for you. This is crazy. It would be better for ALL involved including Rohrbaugh to buy that thing back! What bothers me is these "refurbs" came with a warranty. And it was explained to me Rohrbaugh went over these guns to recondition them so they would have a warranty in the first place. If they truely are "lemons" (it happens) and have had parts "out of spec" etc. why didnt they catch them when they refurbed em? Thats the only arguement that keeps me from kicking myself for not buying a BRAND NEW R9 or getting another one. I dont know about you, but I didnt buy a refurb to save a few bucks, I did it because it was simply the ONLY Rohrbaugh Id seen for sale. I found out about this website while looking to purchase one approx 6 months ago. Having heard of the long waitlist for one, I jumped the first chance I got at one.

Offline Guinnessdog

« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2006, 10:47:28 AM »
Koolaid, you and I were thinking alike. I jumped at the first chance to get one, then found out a day later that Tom at Irish Guard gets brand-new ones in pretty regularly, so the wait would not have been more than a few weeks.

I'll keep everyone posted on what I hear from the factory. For what its worth, Marie seemed rather dismayed that I was having these problems.

Offline PursuitSS

• Expert
« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2006, 01:52:25 PM »
You all have me worried!!!! My reconditioned R-9s is due in tomorrow.

PursuitSS
NRA Endowment Member
Moderator - “80%” Forum AR15.com

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2006, 02:20:37 PM »
Just think positive and look forward to receiving it.

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2006, 03:06:12 PM »
Dave, that knife is just the best looking folding knife I have ever seen. You are a lucky man my friend.
Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2006, 10:39:59 PM »
Dave, that knife is just the best looking folding knife I have ever seen. You are a lucky man my friend.
Tom

Thanks Tom - the Knife is the old Remington Trapper pattern.  That knife Tom is worth more than the R9.  Every part of it is hand made by Tony Bose.  It has what is called a flush bolster and fits nice into the backpocket - the reason Tony called it a "backpocket".

« Last Edit: July 05, 2006, 10:47:15 PM by MountainMan »
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away..."

Offline capt.koolaid

• Expert
« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2006, 07:49:36 AM »
Hey Guinnessdog? Its been a while. Is your R-9 back from the factory?

Offline TXAGGIECHL

« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2006, 07:53:13 AM »
You all have me worried!!!! My reconditioned R-9s is due in tomorrow.

PursuitSS

@PursuitSS,

Has your R-9 come in yet?

If so, how's it shoot?  

(please tell me you've had a chance to shoot it already!)  ;D