Author Topic: magazine springs  (Read 8932 times)

Offline Fud

• Master
Re: magazine springs
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2006, 02:01:24 AM »
I think that's very much open to debate. It was also pointed out that they do not get weaker by remaining compressed but rather by being cycled.
I need to come here more often  ;D but as was already pointed out, ;) Wolff's own website  says that springs DO indeed get weaker by remaining compressed rather than by being cycled and I would think that they know a thing or two about spring technology.

I recall the army USE TO advise their soldiers to load their M16s to only 80% of capacity (16 rounds in a 20 round mag) and when they did that, most failures were eliminated. The army no longer advises this but it sure as heck doesn't hurt ...
  • 6 round mag is loaded with 5 rounds (6 x 0.8 = 4.8)
  • 7 round mag is loaded with 6 rounds (7 x 0.8 = 5.6)
  • 8 round mag is loaded with 6 rounds (8 x 0.8 = 6.4)
  • 9 round mag is loaded with 7 rounds (9 x 0.8 = 7.2)
  • 10 round mag is loaded with 8 rounds (10 x 0.8 = 8.0)
  • 11 round mag is loaded with 9 rounds (11 x 0.8 = 8.8)
  • 12 round mag is loaded with 10 rounds (12 x 0.8 = 9.6)
  • 13 round mag is loaded with 10 rounds (13 x 0.8 = 10.4)
  • 14 round mag is loaded with 11 rounds (14 x 0.8 = 11.2)
  • 15 round mag is loaded with 12 rounds (15 x 0.8 = 12.0)
  • Etc.
... I'd rather be a few rounds short than have the entire mag fail on me.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2006, 02:02:23 AM by Fud »

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2006, 09:39:10 AM »
To each is own. I just keep the mags I am carrying full and the mags put up to rest empty. Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline BillinPittsburgh

• Master
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2006, 12:15:17 AM »
I rotate my magazines twice a year.  The ones that were loaded become my practice magazines.  That way, any developing problems will show up in practice.

I also load most magazines to full capacity.

If you are practicing as you should, the springs will eventually wear out.  Yes, we have had many serious improvements in metallurgy, but the springs still remain the weakest point in the design of a semi-auto.

Gentleness can only be expected from the strong.  Ancient Chinese proverb.

Offline harrydog

• Master
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2006, 06:13:00 PM »
I'm not saying that the springs will never wear out, but I don't think they wear out nearly as quickly or completely as some of you seem to think. If you want to replace them on a regular basis as a preventative measure, great. You can never be too careful. Personally, I don't think it's necessary to replace them very often at all.
While mag springs may indeed technically weaken over time by being compressed, I think it's a very small amount and will not normally affect function. Wolff may know a thing or two about springs, but remember, they're also in the business to sell springs.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2006, 06:18:04 PM by harrydog »

Offline capt.koolaid

• Expert
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2006, 06:13:45 PM »
I could swear I heard Carl Rohrbaugh state on his website "wolff springs throughout the gun". As such, if Wolff is indeed the supplier, why wouldnt they sell the mag springs? Or recoil springs for that matter?

Offline harrydog

• Master
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2006, 06:17:21 PM »
I rotate my magazines twice a year.  The ones that were loaded become my practice magazines.  That way, any developing problems will show up in practice.

I also load most magazines to full capacity.

If you are practicing as you should, the springs will eventually wear out.  Yes, we have had many serious improvements in metallurgy, but the springs still remain the weakest point in the design of a semi-auto.

I agree with you Bill. I rotate my 1911 magazines as you do, because they see FAR more use than my R9 does. From what I've read here in this forum, there is no one who shoots their R9 all that much.

Offline riffraff

• Master
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2006, 10:07:21 PM »
capt.koolaid,

It could be an agreement between Wolf and Rohrbaugh.  Wolf is contractually prohibited from selling springs for the Rohrbaugh.  This is just a guess.

Mike
NRA Benefactor Member
FCSA Life Member

Offline BillinPittsburgh

• Master
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2006, 11:20:29 PM »
The magazine spring will let you know when it needs to be replaced.  It probably doesn't need to be replaced before that.

Another reason why it is good to have extra magazines and rotate them is that the spring isn't the only thing that can go bad on a magazine.  For example, I have accidently dropped magazines on my floor, bending the feed lips to the point that they were unusable.  When things like that happen, it is nice to simply pull an unused magazine out, put the ammo from the damaged magazine in it, and be back to normal before your replacement magazine arrives from Rohrbaugh.  If all you have is an extra spring, you are SOL.

I would think that Rohrbaugh would have an interest in maximizing the part and accessory availability for their pistols, because this is definitely a factor in deciding what gun to buy.  

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2006, 09:44:53 AM »
When I shot IPSC with a comp 1911 and using Wilson mags, during the reloads the empty mags would hit the floor shooting indoors. I never had problems with my mags ever. I usually shot about 500 rounds to 1000 rounds per week.
Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2006, 11:00:14 AM »
Tom,

I've heard so many good things about the Wilson magazines, I just ordered a 47DA 8-rounder for my 1911.

I later read that 47D was the "most desired", but I figured that an aluminum base must be good for something, because it cost more.   :)

Bill

Offline BillinPittsburgh

• Master
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2006, 02:50:07 PM »
My own experience with Wilson magazines was middle of the road.

They definitely hit the floor of the indoor range many times during training, and most (but not all) survived the experience repeatedly without damage.  The magazine bodies are generally good.  However, the ones I have purchased more recently have springs that are a bit too weak for good functioning.

Lately I have been using Kimber Tac Mags in my 1911, with good results.

The best magazines I have ever used are those made by Glock.  The metal-reinforced plastic seems to never get damaged.  I've bought used ones that needed spring replacements, but almost all of the new ones I bought in 1997 are still functioning just fine, despite shooting typically 50-500 rounds per week.

Ruling out some of the aftermarket garbage that is available for Glocks, I have had the most problems with magazines made by Kel-Tec.  One drop of a loaded magazine on the floor, and it is history.  They also contribute to the possibility of a rimlock in .32 acp caliber, something that is impossible in a Seecamp and doesn't seem to happen with North American Arms guns.  On the Kel-Tec forums, various spacer solutions have been proposed, but my own experimentation with spacers produced very negative results.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2006, 03:15:25 PM »
I think Virgil Tripp makes some of the best 1911 magazines.

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2006, 09:48:25 PM »
I know Mr. Tripp does a fine job of chrome plating.  He did my Sig P239 slide, and the aluminum frame got the Cobra coat.

I hated to put it in a holster, but decided what the heck.  It's no good if you never shoot it.

There is just a faint sign of wear on the corners of the Cobra coat.  That is, of course, to be expected.  It still looks very nice.

Bill

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2006, 09:53:35 PM »
BillinPittsburgh, during my training, we were also taught to push the mag release button, let the empty mag fall on the floor, and insert a loaded magazine.

He said we should not be playing with magazines during an emergency.

I think that's what you were saying.

I just could never do that, because of the magazine getting all banged up, full of sand and dirt, etc.

But then, I'm not in law enforcement or military.

Bill

Offline rooster

« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2006, 09:02:40 AM »
I also thought that Wolf made the mag springs for the r9, so I emailed them and the reply that I received said that they did not.  Maybe someone could get a reply from Karl himself as to who makes the springs for our pup.  As for the Wilson mags I have the same ones that I started shooting IPSC with 14 years ago.  I rebuild the mags about once a year, I can't even begin to estimate how many times they have been dropped, stepped on and down right abused.  I know some guns will not run with them but for me they have been perfectly reliable.