Author Topic: magazine springs  (Read 8931 times)

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Re: magazine springs
« Reply #45 on: August 24, 2006, 05:37:15 PM »
Bill:

Twice a year, when the time changes, I use the event as a reminder to change not only my clocks and watches but also the magazines of my semiautomtic weapons and the batteries of my gun safe and my smoke alarms.  It's just a ritual I've adopted to cut down on the number of things I need to remember. (Now, if I can just manage always to remember my wife's birthday and our wedding anniversary, I should be good to go.  ;) )
« Last Edit: August 24, 2006, 05:49:01 PM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #46 on: August 24, 2006, 05:57:34 PM »
I had a friend who called it his wife's anniversary--at least
that was his story to me.

Offline rooster

« Reply #47 on: August 24, 2006, 08:47:42 PM »
When I arrived home today my mag springs had arrived, so I took one of my r9 mags apart and compared springs.  The spring that has been loaded and unloaded ( I swap mags about every month) was one and a half coils shorter than my new spring. Now this is probably not enough to make a difference and I am not going to change at this point, but now, at least, I have spares and can change when I think it is needed.  I remember reading a little about the metalurgy of springs in some mag a few years ago and it seems that the springs have "memory" and are able to work for years.  It seems that single column springs are a little better at it than the double column style.  It was noted that someone found an old gi 45 that had it mag loaded for like 50 years took it out and it functioned perfectly.  The whole intent of this post was the fact that I could not get a spring from the manufacturer and now they did right and actually went out of their way to get them for me.  This topic has been very interesting.

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #48 on: August 24, 2006, 11:38:34 PM »
When I arrived home today my mag springs had arrived, so I took one of my r9 mags apart and compared springs.  The spring that has been loaded and unloaded ( I swap mags about every month) was one and a half coils shorter than my new spring. Now this is probably not enough to make a difference and I am not going to change at this point, but now, at least, I have spares and can change when I think it is needed.  I remember reading a little about the metalurgy of springs in some mag a few years ago and it seems that the springs have "memory" and are able to work for years.  It seems that single column springs are a little better at it than the double column style.  It was noted that someone found an old gi 45 that had it mag loaded for like 50 years took it out and it functioned perfectly.  The whole intent of this post was the fact that I could not get a spring from the manufacturer and now they did right and actually went out of their way to get them for me.  This topic has been very interesting.

Well,
Now you know that "everyone' will want spares/extras now!! ;) ;D

I don't on plan changing mine but I will be ordering at least a few to make sure I will not "run out"  8)

Brenden
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe