Author Topic: Models and options  (Read 6559 times)

Offline Fat Boy

• Expert
  • R9s Stealth
Models and options
« on: June 17, 2009, 09:12:00 AM »
New to the site and want to purchase my own little wonder gun but I don't seem to understand or find a thread on what the options are and what past and present models offered.  I am currently looking at the "Special Forces" model to replace my LCP pocket pistol.  I like the all black.  Can some of you clear up the following and anything that I have missed so far.
Stainless Slides - all models
Alluminum frames - all models
CF grips - some models but not offered anymore
Sites/No sites - some models
Custom trigger work - some models
Barrel and slide ported - custom shop only
Colored dot on front and rear site - custom shop only
Assorted finishes - all models different
Hex screws - new models

Can someone make sense of this, I particularly am interested in buying a SF and want to know all the features of this model.  I would also like to know if any model had a stainless frame.  Thanks for any help or link.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 09:32:02 AM by Fat_Boy »
Good Luck,
Fat Boy
EDC: HTC Touch Pro, Rohrbaugh R9, Dereelight C2H, Pocket Bible, CRT, Leather Tri-fold, SS Peanut Lighter, Bobster

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
Re: Models and options
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 04:11:06 PM »
fat boy, go to DDGATOR our leader shown on first topic. Then move down on his bio page and look at all of his posts. Look at post #53, go to the beginning and see disc., and photos  Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 04:57:25 PM »
Tom!  I was hoping you would answer fat boy as I knew you would offer better guidance than myself!!   :)     :)
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 05:00:33 PM »
go to DDGATOR's bio and click on all of his posts and then go to post #53, 2 pages, and it gives detailed info and on second page photos at Shot Show 2009.   Tom

Offline Fat Boy

• Expert
  • R9s Stealth
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 07:14:23 PM »
Thanks Tom, here is the link if anyone else is interested.  I was just hoping for more details, but maybe that just isn't any.
http://www.rohrbaughforum.com/YaBB.cgi?board=R9S;action=display;num=1232145455;start=

I do think my local dealer has been poor and had already contacted Tom to make the purchase through him.  My local guy said the grips are the CF but the above discription says they are the G10.
Good Luck,
Fat Boy
EDC: HTC Touch Pro, Rohrbaugh R9, Dereelight C2H, Pocket Bible, CRT, Leather Tri-fold, SS Peanut Lighter, Bobster

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2009, 08:32:41 PM »
all the SF models that I have sold have G10 grips by Hogue, the Wilson Combat black is great just ask DaninVA.   Tom

Offline Fat Boy

• Expert
  • R9s Stealth
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2009, 10:29:41 AM »
Ok I am still trying to figure out the models so any help or links or pics would be nice.  When I go to the Rohrbaugh home page aren't they showing a stealth with CF grips? and they actually come with G10, right?  Not to be picky but stuff like this can be very confusing and there really needs to be laid out clearly what each model completely has with pictures, including a history of old models in case someone wants to purchase one for collection or use.
 http://www.rohrbaughfirearms.com/product/prod_set.html
Good Luck,
Fat Boy

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2009, 11:51:49 AM »
Fat_Boy, there are no more CF grips offered.  Tom

Offline DanR9SF

• Expert
Re: Models and optionshttp://www.wilsoncombat.com/
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2009, 11:52:16 AM »
... the Wilson Combat black is great just ask DaninVA.   Tom

Yes I'm a big fan of Wilson Combat Armor-Tuff which is the stuff on the SF model.  http://www.wilsoncombat.com/info_armor_tuff.htm  It's not just paint, it's a molybdenum disulphide-based coating, and it's tough and slick.  Wilson Combat charges $265 to do a handgun so it's not inexpensive but it's a lifetime coating.   Gun cleaners don't harm it at all.  It's a natural lubricant so it helps in reliable operation of the weapon.

And talk about corrosion resistance!  You can leave the coated parts submersed in sea water for 60 days with zero corrosion. Or in a puddle of nitric, sulfuric, or hydrochloric acid for 24 hours.  Since I tend to leave my guns in puddles of nitric acid or in the ocean - that was a big selling point! :)

Really, it's a good coating.  Not sure what else you get with the SF for the premium price, but IMO if it came with tritium night sights it would be perfect.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 01:11:46 PM by DaninVA »
R9S and R9SF - Not For Sale

Offline Fat Boy

• Expert
  • R9s Stealth
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2009, 06:01:52 PM »
Fat_Boy, there are no more CF grips offered.  Tom
Tom that is the third time you said that, I get that, but that does nothing to answer my questions.  I am not just asking about new guns.

Not sure what else you get with the SF for the premium price, but IMO if it came with tritium night sights it would be perfect.
this is my point exactly, you own it and are still not sure what to say.  Plus I would really like to know what modifications are on older models.  Onliine I found someone who claims to have a stainless steal frame and that 6 of them were made but on this official forum I see nothing and hear nothing.  It would be nice to know what "IS" and what "WAS" so I can make a decision to buy new or old.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 06:04:46 PM by Fat_Boy »
Good Luck,
Fat Boy

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2009, 08:58:13 PM »
Fat_Boy,

In your initial post you said you were leaning toward the SF model;
if I were you I would go ahead and purchase that one because initial
impressions are usually the best. You are asking about stainless
steel models and you might as well be chasing rainbows; if there are
any they are being kept under deep cover.

I have purchased two Rohrbaughs and I am very pleased with both
choices. They were both happily bought through Tom with great
satisfaction.  
« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 09:09:46 PM by tracker »

Offline orthoward

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2009, 11:13:41 PM »
fat boy
I can specifically say, since I am one of the principals in the company, that we have never made any ss frames. Please do not let anyone blow smoke at you and convince you that they exist. Not only is manufacturing prohibitive, we do not do the one off piece. Nice idea, though.  Wonder what kind of weight it would be?

Offline Fat Boy

• Expert
  • R9s Stealth
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2009, 12:00:48 AM »
fat boy
I can specifically say, since I am one of the principals in the company, that we have never made any ss frames. Please do not let anyone blow smoke at you and convince you that they exist. Not only is manufacturing prohibitive, we do not do the one off piece. Nice idea, though.  Wonder what kind of weight it would be?

THANK YOU for this, they wanted 2500.00 for something that is non existant, again thanks.  FYI this SS version was for sale on GunsAmerica.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 12:21:36 AM by Fat_Boy »
Good Luck,
Fat Boy

Offline Fat Boy

• Expert
  • R9s Stealth
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2009, 12:18:15 AM »
Fat_Boy,

In your initial post you said you were leaning toward the SF model;
if I were you I would go ahead and purchase that one because initial
impressions are usually the best.

Thanks, I would generally agree with you  but I can't believe that they are charging 500.00 over the steath for just getting the additional parts blackened.  I know its ALL of it, but still seems high.  I thought I read in a post that the SF and the RR ones are specially handled and customized more by Karl and Eric but I can't find that information now and may be wrong.  
Good Luck,
Fat Boy

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2009, 12:44:57 AM »
Maybe part of the problem is that there are a few choices now.
When I bought mine there was only one new one at a time.
One thought here is that whatever your decision you can probably
be confident that the present model will not be available in the
future. There seems to be a bit of some healthy evolution going
on here.