Author Topic: trigger guard banging up my trigger finger  (Read 6837 times)

Offline nase

• Sharpshooter
trigger guard banging up my trigger finger
« on: October 10, 2009, 05:32:40 PM »
So this is only my second trip to the range with my R9... my hand was slightly sore the first time, but I didn't notice this problem in particular.

I put 50 rounds through it today, and i really felt every one of them in the bottom of my trigger finger. The recoil just popped the trigger guard right against that knuckle. Am I doing something wrong?

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
Re: trigger guard banging up my trigger finger
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2009, 05:44:38 PM »

I don't think you are doing anything wrong. It could just be your hand fit compatibility with the R9 or something simple like firing rapidly and the momentum of the trigger slams your knuckle against the trigger guard. You might try a slightly firmer trigger finger grip and a slower fire rate and see if you notice any difference. It has been mentioned here before but a very positive trigger pull is desirable on the R9.

Offline Quiet1

• Expert
  • Zen and the art of R9s
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2009, 06:49:48 PM »
As Tracker points out, there are lots of elements in the equation that causes the infamous "Trigger Finger Bite".

I know my following suggestion is "treating the symptom rather than the cause" but, I would suggest that on future trips to the range you wrap a BandAid, pad on the bottom, around the joint of your trigger finger.

I don't have a problem with trigger finger bite shooting the Pup but I sure do have it with my Seecamp .380 and the "old band-aid trick" works perfectly every time.  ;)
Illegitimus Non Carborundum

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2009, 08:47:03 PM »
So this is only my second trip to the range with my R9... my hand was slightly sore the first time, but I didn't notice this problem in particular.

I put 50 rounds through it today, and i really felt every one of them in the bottom of my trigger finger. The recoil just popped the trigger guard right against that knuckle. Am I doing something wrong?

nase.  Welcome to the Forum.  Tracker and Quiet1 has said it well.  Firm grip and a very positive trigger pull are the key.

Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline nase

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2009, 11:13:18 PM »
Ok, thanks for the replies. I'll try to be more careful about my grip and trigger pull... and I'll probably put on a bandaid next time I go to the range, if I can remember.

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2009, 12:58:11 AM »
nase, welcome to the group, the posted suggestions are good ones.
 I find that putting my finger a little farther in the guard will also stop the problem, even though it is not the proper technique for good trigger control.
  I will shoot that way at SD distances at a silhouette target, not taking time for a good sight lineup, more of a point and shoot fashon.
 Because I don't think there will be time or presence of mind to worry about propper grip and form in most SD situations.
John
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 12:58:47 AM by yankee2500 »
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2009, 01:03:25 AM »

Also, in a self-defense situation the knuckle bump problem will not even be a factor.

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2009, 01:15:30 AM »
nase,
Welcome to the forum!!
The band aid will help you on your 50 round sessions!!
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2009, 11:38:52 AM »
nase, welcome to the forum and pup ownership. try shooting slower and pay attention to your grip and trigger pull as you shoot and make some adjustments as needed.  Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2009, 12:42:45 PM »
nase:

Permit me also to welcome you to the Forum.

The only time I have ever run 50+ rounds through my R9 was during its first outing -- and I recall that my right hand started "complaining" after about the fifth magazine or so.

The R9 is the smallest and lightest pistol yet produced for the 9mm Parabellum cartridge, and I personally consider it to be the finest pocket pistol yet made. It is designed to be a close-quarters self-defense weapon. As such, having proven to myself that my R9 is fully reliable, I now carry it every day, taking care to keep it immaculately clean and properly lubricated, and running a magazine or two through it every now and then in order to maintain familiarity. For extended range work, I've got 1911s that I can shoot for as long as the ammunition lasts.

Good luck with your new masterpiece, and welcome again to the Forum.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline kanuist

• Expert
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2009, 09:10:54 PM »
Nase,  Welcome and Congratulations!

I had this same problem on my first outing with my R9.  On my second range trip, I tried adjusting my trigger finger.  I found that if I didn't insert it as far as normal, it wouldn't get bitten.

After a few more range sessions, my finger finds this sweet spot on its own.

Enjoy your R9.
Join the Armed Citizens' Legal Defense Network
http://armedcitizensnetwork.org/

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2009, 09:22:59 PM »
I think you are on to something; having short fingers I haven't noticed this particular problem but I can see it becoming an issue with someone who has large hands and/or long fingers. The trigger finger definitely tapers narrower toward the tip and wouldn't take up as much space as it would in the middle of the finger.  

Offline P7Enigma

• Master
  • VENI VIDI VICI
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2009, 02:07:18 PM »
Had the same problem so I took a die grinder and cut the trigger guard off.

Welcommen to the board!
DISCLAIMER The above post is not to be taken lightly nor seriously. Any readers "interpretation" of the post was purely intentional

Offline Quiet1

• Expert
  • Zen and the art of R9s
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2009, 05:25:20 PM »
Had the same problem so I took a die grinder and cut the trigger guard off.

Whooa!!!  Dude!!!  That really is "treating the cause not the symptom".

I would love to see a picture of your "De-Trigger-Guarded" R9!

How, (other than Very Carefully) and what do you use to conceal carry it now that it is sans trigger guard?     ;D

Inquiring minds want to know.
Illegitimus Non Carborundum

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2009, 05:47:25 PM »

How would you defend that one in court?