Author Topic: bloody hands  (Read 6906 times)

Offline bubbacloud

bloody hands
« on: March 03, 2010, 06:34:27 PM »
hi everyone.  Thanks for the help getting me hooked up for some mag extenders!  I can hardly wait to get them.

I have a couple more questions for you Rohr-xperts:

1 - I am having problems with the beveled edge of the grip rubbing a hole in my thumb when firing.  (the "webbed area between my thumb and first finger).  If I loosen up my grip a little to save my skin, the gun jams (limp-wristing) if I hold it tightly, I bleed.  Are their any other grips out there or sleeves I can put on that don't mess up the "in the pocket" useablility of the gun?

2 - Do we REALLY have to change the spring every 200 rounds?  This seems too quick to me...

3 - i have cases of +p ammo that I bought for another gun.  Can I do anything to beef the R9 up to a point where it is acceptable to shoot it with +P?

4 - There are some good looking holsters pictured on the website, but the STORE doesn't work - how do I learn more / order them?

Thanks in advance for all you help -  

Offline birdman

• Grand Master
Re: bloody hands
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 07:08:31 PM »
  Bubbacloud, hopefully I can answer some of your questions.                                                                  1. Short ans. I don't know, I've never heard of anyone with this problem. I've shot my R9s with both the original grips and the Hogue Extreme grips that I installed, haven't had any problem like you have had. 2.Yes. 3. No! best forget about modifying your R9, It would void your warranty, which I'm sure you would need. I doubt that with a barrel this short that you would gain much, if anything with +p ammo. 4. Call Maria, she can order anything tou want. Also, I would ask her about problem #1. Hope this helps.   Gene
birdman

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 07:15:50 PM »
1.  You can get the Hogue Extreme grips by calling Maria at the Rohrbaugh phone number.  Grips are $69.95.  Should help.

2.  That's what the factory suggests, so that's what I would do.

3.  Don't use +P ammo.  Gun not designed to use.

4.  If you see a holster you like on the Web site, call Maria, she will take care of your order.

bubbacloud.  Enjoy your R9.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 09:40:00 PM »
bubba,
for problem number 1, get a job for the summer doing construction work or landscaping, pens and computer keys do not toughen the skin  ;D
On the serious side, try some different grips Hogue or the CF grips that curt has for sale in the classified section.
If you run the same spring too long you will risk failure and damage to the gun.
+P is not to be fired in the R9 and will void your warranty, pound your gun and provide little noticeable difference in stopping power from a R9 barrel.  And if your bleeding firing standard pressure ammo, I would think +P would be the last thing you would need.
  Maria is the one to call about purchasing items from the store, as others have stated.
 And last, your extensions are on the way, thanks for the order.

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline bubbacloud

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 10:14:10 PM »
 :P  i know that the computer keys don't help toughen my skin, but the cattle feed, horse feed, and hauling wood for the iron stove do a pretty good job! :D

I have REALLY big hands and the gun just happens to run into the knuckle of my thumb - had the same problem with a KAHR so I dumped it.  Not gonna dump this one- I love it.

I understand not to shoot the +P stuff - wish I didn't have so much sitting around.  

On a related note - where can I get ballistics info that accounts for the short barrels.  I wonder how much difference (less) the typical 9 mm stuff has out of these tiny guns - any ideas where to look for data with 2" barrels?

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 10:28:43 PM »
bubbacloud.  This may help a little:

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/9mmluger.html
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline bubbacloud

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 10:59:59 PM »
how do I post a pic in this thing?  make it simple for me - i run a few collective funds, but blogging, i haven't figured out :)

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2010, 11:06:55 PM »
bubba,
   get a photo bucket account (free) and load your pics there, then just copy and paste the image code in your post and the pics will be there.

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline bubbacloud

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2010, 11:22:57 PM »

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2010, 12:17:03 AM »
bubba,
 That looks painful, I had some smart a$$ remarks but will abstain.  ;D
  Maybe a little 1000 grit sandpaper or a buffing wheel workover of the edge of the grips. Are they sharp or rough in that area ?

John
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 12:17:54 AM by yankee2500 »
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2010, 12:19:22 AM »

It appears to me that your hands are so large that your thumb joint is being damaged by the slide movement during the firing cycle. Could that be the case?

Offline bubbacloud

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2010, 12:28:48 AM »
it isn't the slide, it is the beveled part of the grip that protrudes back toward me.   It is just the slightest bit rough and seems to grab my skin and stretch it until it rubs / tears.  It is no big deal during a self defense situation, i had lots worse when I worked the door at a biker bar 30 years ago :)  I just wish I could practice without tearing my hand up.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2010, 10:43:09 AM »
bubbacloud.  John makes a good point.  Sand the rough area lightly with the mentioned grit sand paper, make sure, it's smooth.  Try it again.  

Don't want to make this sound too simple as you may have thought of this, however, if not, give it a try.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2010, 10:56:12 AM »
bubbacloud:

I can't add much of value to the posts above other than to welcome you to the Forum, congratulate you on the selection of the Rohrbaugh, and suggest that you might use a quality shooting glove for range work with your R9. (If, God forbid, you ever have to use the pistol in a life-threatening situation, you won't be noticing any abrasion to the thumb until well after the event.)
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline birdman

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2010, 11:08:53 AM »
   Bubbacloud, I forgot to welcome you to the forum. We do try our best to help each other. I believe it's the best gun forum on the internet. Post often.     Gene
birdman