Author Topic: bloody hands  (Read 6903 times)

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
Re: bloody hands
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2010, 11:59:35 AM »
bubbacloud, welcome to the forum, I'm sorry that the pup is biting you some. for some good holsters try the following
www.mecopocketholsters.com Robert will be happy to help.  Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline Quiet1

• Expert
  • Zen and the art of R9s
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2010, 04:16:15 PM »
Bubbacloud,

Let me add my welcome to you to the forum.  Now, Reference your post and pictures . . . . OUCH!!!

After studying the pictures and seeing the size of your hands and the exact location of the "wound" my initial thought was exactly what Tracker posted above.  That your thumb "rode-up" just enough, with out your being aware of it, and the slide just managed to graze that spot.  Perhaps a few times.

However, if your certain that it's not the slide, I would suggest that when you go to range to use a bandaid to cover that vulerable spot BEFORE you shoot.  That will give you some padding and protection right at that crutial spot without you're having to resort to a shooting glove.  Congratulations on your new Pup. and again, welcome.

Regards, Quiet1
Illegitimus Non Carborundum

Offline kanuist

• Expert
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2010, 06:54:21 PM »
I'd consider buffing down the edge of the grip panel on the left side.  Mine is fairly smooth and hasn't caused any such problem for me.  And I had one range session of 60+ rounds when I first got it.  

Take the grip off before you buff it and welcome!
Join the Armed Citizens' Legal Defense Network
http://armedcitizensnetwork.org/

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2010, 07:10:18 PM »
I don't advise removing the grip.  Could cause loose grip screws.  Now that's just me.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2010, 07:32:18 PM »
Lord, KJ, I've lost track of the number of times I've removed the grip screws on No. 132. But then, I'm one who has been known to change out its grips just because it's a rainy-day Monday.  8)
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2010, 07:36:02 PM »
Yes, Richard.  I recall, at the drop of a hat.    ;D
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Dino

• Master
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2010, 09:47:25 PM »
Welcome Bubbacloud to the forum. I know this sounds simple, but how about a glove?

Offline bubbacloud

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2010, 10:36:16 PM »
Thanks for all the advice everybody.  I took the gun back to my dealer today (I live in the sticks, so it is a rare thing to make the 90 mile drive each way), and they sanded the grip down a bit for me.  I couldn't imagine it being much smoother than the factory, but it really made a big difference.  I thik that once my hand heals, the sanding will solve the problem.  If it doesn't, I will experiment with the sleeves and aftermarket grips -

Thanks again!

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2010, 11:43:35 PM »
After looking at your pics, and knowing the G-10 grips are machined, I figured sanding or polishing may help.  I hope it takes care of the problem.

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2010, 04:26:55 AM »
Thanks for all the advice everybody.  I took the gun back to my dealer today (I live in the sticks, so it is a rare thing to make the 90 mile drive each way), and they sanded the grip down a bit for me.  I couldn't imagine it being much smoother than the factory, but it really made a big difference.  I thik that once my hand heals, the sanding will solve the problem.  If it doesn't, I will experiment with the sleeves and aftermarket grips -

Thanks again!

Excellent, bubbacloud.  Sounds like a winner.  Sure hope the sanding solves your problem.

Offline slashsplat

• Expert
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2010, 10:37:23 AM »
Welcome!

Don't sweat the ballistics issues of a 2" barrel.  Just use the accepted stock ammo and it will work peachy.

Stick with 115 gr Gold Dots
http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/catalog1/product_info.php/pName/50rds-9mm-speer-le-gold-dot-115gr-hp-ammo/cName/9mm-hollow-point-ammo
50rds for $25
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 10:44:01 AM by slashsplat »
NRA Life Member - NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
Member: ARFCOM Platinum - JPFO - GOA - CCRKBA - USCCA - GeorgiaCarry.org
Μολὼν λαβέ

Offline bubbacloud

« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2010, 12:57:44 PM »
yup - bought 2 cases of those yesterday

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2010, 01:13:24 PM »
That is a good price, for sure, and in boxes of 50!  

Offline kanuist

• Expert
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2010, 07:08:16 PM »
KJ,  I've taken the grips off my R9 about 15 times.  When I re-install them I don't clean the screws or add more thread lock.  

I have not had a single problem with them coming loose while shooting or any other time.  Perhaps I'm lucky!
Join the Armed Citizens' Legal Defense Network
http://armedcitizensnetwork.org/

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2010, 07:31:57 PM »
Kanuist.  I've read on this Forum where so many have had problems by removing their grips, that I just don't do it.  Karl Rohrbaugh recommmends not doing it as well.  

That right grip can cause a lot of problems with the trigger spring if not reinstalled properly, as you well know, I'm sure.  There are many folks here that do change their grips quite a bit.  I'm just not one of them.

That being said, it's the decision of each one, if they want to do it, and maybe, they will be lucky, too.