Author Topic: bloody hands  (Read 6904 times)

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
Re: bloody hands
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2010, 09:02:14 PM »
KJ makes some salient and valid points about the wisdom of removing grips but to each his or her own. Screw failure, due to galvanic corrosion, has occurred on the R9. It is not a bad idea to change out the screws periodically, depending on your storage and local humidity. As I can attest, having a screw head pop off your grip is a bit of a disconcerting experience.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 09:22:33 PM by tracker »

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2010, 10:03:53 PM »
Now this is just me again; I wouldn't even change out the screws.  Rohrbaugh, several years ago did have a screw probelm, and on RJ Hedley's (rest his soul) post had a call from Eric R. saying the screw problem had been fixed.  They went to a stronger screw.

We just had a Forum member last week, was changing out some black screws, going back to the original silver screws and stripped out a black screw, which was after market screws, and had to send it back to the factory to get removed.

Again, to each his own.  If you don't see a problem, I would leave it alone.  Do, however, check for loose screws after each shooting.  I don't want to cause myself a problem, and haven't had one since owning the R9, for, come March 13, a year; also, no loose screws.  Others may differ, and that's OK.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 10:06:37 PM by kjtrains »
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2010, 10:43:19 PM »

"Stronger screws" have very little to do with dissimilar metal or galvanic corrosion and if you have had your gun only a year you probably wouldn't have experienced it. Stainless screws against an aluminum frame can cause problems. Loose screws are a very minor issue and just take a quick check. I have never witnessed a loose screw.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2010, 11:12:23 PM »
Tom.  Here's where we have the right to "agree to disagree".  I don't think it's been proven anywhere that the white powder you mentioned on another post is galvanic corrosion (Aluminum Oxide).  I'm with Slater on this one, I think it's the factory thread locking compound, which is white.

Your pistol had the weak screws, in my opinion, and as Rohrbaugh agreed, did have a screw problem; then it was corrected.  To say this is galvanic corrosion without a sample proving it to be the Aluminum Oxide, we still don't know.

Agree to disagree.

Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2010, 11:26:16 PM »

Ok; keep your screws in there as long as you like.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2010, 11:28:35 PM »
Tom.  Thanks!

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2010, 11:52:21 PM »

The evidence of corrosion was on the top of the screw post after the head came off and had nothing to do with thread locking compound but thanks for your opinion on my problem.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2010, 11:55:34 PM »
Still, Tom, if you didn't have a sample proving it to be Aluminum Oxide, you're guessing.  Agree to disagree.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2010, 12:07:57 AM »

I don't need a sample because it was obvious corrosion that caused the screw failure. If some one wanted this problem to just fade away they would say that they put more strength in the screws. These screws are still very tiny and subject to failure; a word to the wise.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2010, 12:16:51 AM »
Tom.  How can it be obvious that it was corrosion?  It is obvious there was a screw problem at Rohrbaugh.  To just say you know it was corrosion has to be proven, knowing it is the, one more time, Aluminum Oxide.  We can disagree all you like.  I'll be here.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2010, 12:19:56 AM »

I saw it; you didn't. What is the reason for your denial of a possible corrosion issue?

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2010, 12:29:24 AM »
Tom.  I'm disagreeing that it was corrosion, which I have a right to do.  To me it is plain that it was the weak screws and you saw the powder from the thread compound which when the head came off, the powder covered the top of the screw post.  

Now I don't know that,  just like you don't know it's corrosion.  You just think it is, and you have that right.  It's only thinking for the both of us until it is proven.  That's really what I'm saying.

I'm not saying there couldn't be a corrosion problem.  Anything is possible.  I'm saying you don't know there's that problem.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 12:41:25 AM by kjtrains »

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2010, 09:54:15 AM »
This Technical Note No. 7 from Atlas Specialty Metals may be of some interest:

http://www.corrosionist.com/Galvanic_Corrosion.htm
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2010, 01:06:17 PM »
Richard.  Thanks for the info.  Confirms my thinking.

An excerpt from the article:

The corrosion is concentrated by the area difference.  Conversely, if the area of the anode is large compared to that of the cathode, this dilutes the corrosive efect, in most cases to the extent that no problem occurs.  It is common practice to use stainless steel  fastners to fix aluminum sheeting or signs, but if aluminum screws were used to fix stainless steel the screws may rapidly corrode.

Agree to disagree.  It's OK with me.  Friendly discussion.  Anything is possible.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2010, 04:22:16 PM »
Well noted. But compare:

[size=10]An apparent contradiction of the area effect on Galvanic Corrosion occurs when the component comprised of the two metals is only partly wetted. Consider for instance a stainless steel bolt in an aluminium plate; if water collects in the corner at the edge of the bolt but the remainder of the plate remains dry, the effective area of the less noble aluminium is only the wetted region, which may be only a similar size to that section of the bolt that is wetted .... thus it is quite possible for the aluminium plate to be galvanically attacked in the region immediately surrounding the bolt. Only the wet “area” counts.[/size]

E.g., a stainless steel screw with an inherent flaw inserted into an aluminum frame in a hot and humid environment -- such as a coastal city.

As noted, anything can happen.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"