Author Topic: R9S Concealed Carry thoughts, 18 days and counting  (Read 7165 times)

Offline scubadds

R9S Concealed Carry thoughts, 18 days and counting
« on: August 16, 2010, 11:53:59 AM »
Don't laugh, I realize lots of you guys have been carrying consistantly for years.....

I bought my R9S last month and the day I received it I began carrying it daily. So far its only day 18 days, but I've learned a few things. I started out in back pocket carry. I've had it in a nemesis loaner holster most of the time.

I've moved to a front pocket carry.  I found the rear pocket to work fine, but it gets a little hot back there on hot days. I think there is more movement and pressure when sitting when its in a rear pocket.
I thought printing would be less in the rear pocket, but at this point I think its a draw (pun intended).
You can tell you have something in your front pocket, but it isn't distinct enough to tell what it is.

I have ordered a split design from Meco. I believe it to be interchangable between front and rear.  

The Rohrbaugh is exactly what I need. I might sell a few revolvers and get one more.
On a side note;
My wife pointed out something to me that I've never heard or thought about. (which I was honestly surprised she knew something about guns that I didn't)

I was showing her my airweight bodyguard compared to the Rohrbaugh.  She said she had heard children shoot themselves with revolvers commonly because they tend to use their thumbs to depress the trigger, so they turn the gun around towards themselves; use both thumbs and shoot themselves.  Not sure if that's true, but it makes perfect sense to me. Also the lack of safety on revolvers is scary (some do have child locks, but doubt many people use those as if they needed the gun such a lock is not easy to turn off in the middle of the night or quickly)

I have two small boys, I found that I feel very comfortable knowing that they can't possible cock the slide to load a round into the Rohrbaugh. (I consider that a form of a safety)

If anyone has insights into better holster style from Meco, speak now or forever hold your piece....(one last pun)

« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 11:56:56 AM by scubadds »

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
Re: R9S Concealed Carry thoughts, 18 days and coun
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 12:01:34 PM »
welcome to the forum and the world of carry. It sure feels good to know that you have options. while it's OK to have a pistol in the house with kids with the tube un loaded I would not carry it that way.  Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 12:14:06 PM »
Bryan.  Thanks for the update.  Congrats on ordering the Meco holster.  Continue to enjoy the little wonder.  Good info.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 08:11:52 PM »
welcome to the forum and the world of carry. It sure feels good to know that you have options. while it's OK to have a pistol in the house with kids with the tube un loaded I would not carry it that way.  Tom

While there have been studies showing carrying "Israilie style" (empty chamber, rack slide upon draw) is just as fast as a full load; I have to agree with Tom,  I would not carry that way either - racking the slide is opening the door for Mr Murphy one more time than needed.

Maybe leave the chamber empty only in the house for the safety of the kids.
Clint Smith of Thunder Ranch teaches to aways check the chamber before you pack and unpack Everyday, anyway.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 08:15:19 PM by Reinz »
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 08:51:47 PM »

I wonder what the carry weapon of the Mossad is now? They have used the Beretta Bobcat very effectively in some covert "wet work."

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 09:57:06 PM »
I am in agreement with Tom and Reinz, always carry with one in the pipe, no time to think about racking the slide and hoping the round chambers correctly. In the house empty chamber would be a good safety measure.

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2010, 10:07:18 PM »
I think it was unanimus on another thread to always carry with one in the chamber; in the house with small kids, another story.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline scubadds

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2010, 09:05:28 AM »
Good advice,
I will do some testing on times of draw vs. draw and cock and report back.

I had to leave the pup in the truck for a few moments (went into bank) and my wife got in and let the kids free range in the truck (you know when you get in the car and all the buttons have been pressed and your windshield wipers are blazing)
I noticed the gun went from holstered to unholstered while I was gone. I commented and she said the 4 year old found it. He did not "play" with it once he knew it was a gun as he has been told. But it scared me enough that I will just have to deal with carrying unchambered.

I wonder also, constantly chambering and unchambering a round might induce some problems.  I feel like I've seen some rounds get chewed up and smashed some. Maybe I am thinking of .223/5.56; maybe I am off on this one. But I have to go with the odds, odds are greater of an accident chambered; than the chances I would need to draw quick and not be able to chamber. Now if I were LE or in a "higher" threat environment I would no doubt chamber a round.

Of course I will listen to counter points, but that's where I am with it presently......thanks guys for sharing the wisdom!

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2010, 09:21:43 AM »
I can understand your situation completely.  Best do as you described.  

One thing about chambering and unchambering; the mind can forget, in a panic, what the circumstance is; if you're trained one way, then try to do another, a varible is thrown in.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 09:26:02 AM by kjtrains »

Offline Prescottian

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2010, 03:45:55 PM »
I would buy a Gun Vault and a cable lock. Keep the Rohrbaugh, chamber loaded, on your person, or in the Gun Vault, either in the house or cable locked to a seat base in the car.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2010, 03:50:55 PM »
There again, you know Murphy's Law, especially where small kids are present.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2010, 06:21:12 PM »
Scubadds,
If I had small children living with me I would do at least the same thing you are doing. When my grandchildren visit, even the R9 goes out of reach because the risk just isn't worth it. The reasons for carrying one in the chamber are all valid but you have go with your conscience.

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2010, 08:58:08 PM »
Maybe I'm weird, but my first thought was, why take the gun off because of the bank?

In Texas thats not a problem.

And yes you are right Scubadds, constantly chambering the same ammo back and forth tears it up both at the nose and the rim.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2010, 09:14:02 PM »
Maybe I'm weird, but my first thought was, why take the gun off because of the bank?

In Texas thats not a problem.

And yes you are right Scubadds, constantly chambering the same ammo back and forth tears it up both at the nose and the rim.

In some states, you can't carry a firearm into a financial institution.  NC is one.    :(
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 09:15:27 PM by kjtrains »

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2010, 09:22:43 PM »

In some states, you can't carry a firearm into a financial institution.  NC is one.    :(

OK then, that makes sense now. :)

Thanks