Author Topic: R9S Concealed Carry thoughts, 18 days and counting  (Read 7166 times)

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
Re: R9S Concealed Carry thoughts, 18 days and coun
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2010, 09:34:33 PM »
Welcome to the new member and this is an intersting thread. I am one of the few who carries with an empty chamber, although I do not have kids or grandkids to justify this concern.

For me, I live in such a sparsely located state in the northern New England woods, the need to carry with a round in the chamber is less acute. Were I to live in a more populous state; Texas, Florida, NC, et. al., I would probably carry with a loaded chamber.
Those who turn their guns into plowshares end up plowing for those that do not - Thomas Jefferson

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2010, 09:54:08 PM »
It doesn't make any sense to me because a bank is one of the main places where concealed carry may be a deterrent to crime. Texas has this one right.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 09:55:35 PM by tracker »

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2010, 10:09:24 PM »
I wish Texas would pass on their good merits to NC.  Sometimes very hard to remember to leave it in the vehicle after carrying everywhere else.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2010, 08:08:36 AM »
I carry in my bank where I have a brokerage account and am well known, to include the fact that I carry concealed.

In my state, the two proscribed carry zones are schools and government offices.
Those who turn their guns into plowshares end up plowing for those that do not - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Dberg

• NRA Patron  Life Member
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2010, 08:29:35 AM »
I would buy a Gun Vault and a cable lock. Keep the Rohrbaugh, chamber loaded, on your person, or in the Gun Vault, either in the house or cable locked to a seat base in the car.

I have a gun vault next to my bed and in my truck.  If I have to keep it in the truck it's in the vault.  I keep one in the pipe and don't have to worry about my daughter or one of her friends ever getting their hands on it for what ever reason.....
Semper Fi

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2010, 08:53:57 AM »
It is wisdom that wins here.  Make sure it is used.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2010, 11:25:06 AM »
I have one of the gun vaults with the cable in my vehicle, I use it occasionally when going into a no carry zone, (State or Federal office building, Post office with metal detectors) It's handy to have. No worries at home everything is loaded and ready for action.

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2010, 11:45:06 AM »
Use that wisdom, John!    ;D

Offline nase

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2010, 09:31:24 AM »

In some states, you can't carry a firearm into a financial institution.  NC is one.    :(

It's only a crime if you get caught... and if you're concealing properly, it's pretty tough to get caught. Not encouraging anyone to break the law here of course; I'm just saying that if someone were so inclined, he'd probably get away with it.

Pretty much the only situation where it'll become evident you're carrying is when you're forced to use the gun. And if you're forced to use the gun, unlawful carry is probably a small concern.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2010, 09:58:07 AM »
I have forgot, and carried in such a place, without any problems, however, if they have metal detectors that would be a different story.

Offline nase

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2010, 11:46:54 AM »
Definitely. I've had to turn around and go back to the car because of metal detectors before.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2010, 12:05:42 PM »

At the state capitol building in Austin those with CHLs are given a pass around the metal detectors, avoiding long lines. You guessed it; many people who never would have considered carrying a weapon before have acquired CHLs to avoid the lines.

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2010, 12:28:33 PM »
same deal at the Texas State Fair.  Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2010, 12:31:42 PM »
tracker:

Does "CHL" stand for Concealed Handgun License? That is my guess.

My town is so small, and my state so sparsely populated, that there are few metal detectors. Although I am not advocating breaking the law, I often find myself going to the post office while carrying, unconcerned that this is not legal. Metal detector? Uh uh.

Something that is not addressed here is carrying at work. In my travels, to companies with pro-gun laws, I remember seeing signs that would outlaw concealed carry at the work space.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2010, 12:36:18 PM »

CHL is concealed handgun license. An employer in Texas has the right to prohibit guns in their workplace if they post the proper notification.